Nystan (thrush medication) on nipples?

Lisamj

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sam has been diagnosed with oral thrush and has been prescribed Nystan.

Does anyone know if I should/can also use this on my nipples? The pharmacist said to but the Doctor didn't mention it.

Thanks

Lisa

have you not been prescribed anyhting for your nipples? you should be as otherwise you are just going to be transferring it back to baby and soon. If the pharmasist says it is ok then I would follow their lead.

Have you got signs of thrush on your nips? The doctor should have given you some cream they did when Cooper got it. It was a pain as i was scared of getting any in Coopers mouth. But if you've got thrush on your nips and are not treating them also you can re infect him IYKWIM. I don't think it will do any harm to pop nystan on your nips. I thought Daktarin gel was alot better in treating Coops thrush but you do have to be careful as small babies can choke on the gel as its quite thick.

I can't believe how many doctors prescribe treatment for just the baby when they have thrush! - My HV has always made sure I have had both the oral gel and the nipple cream for me to ensure we aren't cross infecting as the first few weeks we were constantly cross infecting each other and I could not completely clear it up. I now have both the Daktarin oral gel and Daktarin Nipple cream (Miconazole Nitrate). I have had Nystatin prescribed in the UK but hated it because it flushed the thrush through to her bits. Obviously it works well for others, but personally I didn't like it and it stained badly too, so try and make sure your LO has a bib on when administering it.
-I can't imagine there would be any problem using the Nystatin on your nipples as I was told to use Frankie's oral gel when there was a delay on ordering my cream...But if you do start exhibiting symptoms of thrush I would pop back to your GP or HV and ask for a prescription. Failing that you can get a Miconazole Nitrate cream over the counter at a Pharmacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back