Oral thrush - feel like a bad mummy :(

Naterjack

Reaction score
Josh has developed oral thrush :(
It started the day i decided to solely bottle / formula feed but i thought it was just milk residue, until i noticed that it was on the roof of his mouth and his gums

Went to the docs this morning and got prescribed nystatin for him and was told not to worry as many little ones get thrush.

I am so careful with sterilising everything though so i don't know if its something i've done wrong ?? Maybe its his dummy as i only sterilise that once a day ?

Anyone else's little ones had this and how long does it take to clear up do you think ?

My LO had Oral Thrush when she was tiny, I think about 6/8 weeks, and thought exactly the same as you..It was only when I couldn't get the white patches off with cotton buds that I realised it could be thrush. It made me question my sterilising methods, but I was doing everything right.

Maybe sterilise his dummy more than once a day? Sometimes they just get it, I was mix feeding at the time and got it on my nipples, which was painful! But my LO didn't seem to be in any discomfort.

Nystatin is really effective, try and give it after a feed so it doesn't get washed away too quickly :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: It should take about a week, but you can see it working because some patches disappear quicker than others IYKWIM?

Isla had oral thrush a few days after she was born, and the nystatin worked within days. It never bothered her and she loved the nystatin taste! Think she expected it before every feed but tough! :lol:

my bubs had it too about that age, i think it is something they get quite easily, we used daktacord or something like that, it never seemed to affect him that much, he still fed happily

Dylans had it 3 times already. its nothing you've done, they just get it :(
dont get yourself down :hug:

I wouldnt worry about it, just one of those things :hug:

Last edited:
lexi got it too when she was a few weeks old, we got prescribed dactarin and it worked great plus she loved the orangey taste :rotfl: x

its nothing youve done.. youll find most children get it.. xx

Oliver seems really prone to thrush, he's had it a good 6 or 7 times now, the first time when he was 5 weeks old. I don't think it's necessarily down to how well you sterilise, he's never had a bottle or a dummy and still gets it - it certainly doesn't make you bad mummy! :hug:

I use daktarin and it gets rid of the pain in my nipples in about a day, and takes a couple of days to clear the residue from his mouth, but he never seems to be in any particular discomfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back