Nuts

Zazu

Reaction score
What age would you let your child have nuts? Z has had peanut butter and there is no family history of allergies so I'm not worried about that, but I know a lot of people wait longer due to choking hazard. Z is nearly 3 now and I have some cashew nuts in, would you let him have some or wait til he is older?

The recommended age is 3 (I think?) if you are confident he will be OK with them then give them a go?

xxxx

The recommended age for whole nuts is 5. Xx

Think I'll wait then, no point risking it x

I have a nut allergy so my children never eat nuts x

Jack has peanut butter sandwiches a lot and quite often shares my peanut butter on toast when I eat it.

I think I'd let him try a peanut if he wanted to but I know he wouldn't eat one at the moment. He can't eat hard/crunchy food at he moment due to his partial tongue tie but after his operation to fix it, if he wanted one I'd let him try one but watch him like a hawk.

Only you know whether your LO could handle it or not x

My friends little girl manages cashew nuts very well at 20months (she has a lot of allergies - bizarrely not nuts so they are an easy snack for her)

There is some debate about ages for introducing things like that - leave it too long and there is supposedly a risk of the body thinking its forgein and an allergy developing.

Also some people feel that younger children are less likely to choke on 'whole' foods as they don't cram them in the same as older kids, plus the gag reflex is further forward.

My DD has whole grapes at 14months, yet a school age child near us died recently, choking on a grape. You'll never remove all the risk, so sometimes you just have to go with it.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

My friends little girl manages cashew nuts very well at 20months (she has a lot of allergies - bizarrely not nuts so they are an easy snack for her)

There is some debate about ages for introducing things like that - leave it too long and there is supposedly a risk of the body thinking its forgein and an allergy developing.

Also some people feel that younger children are less likely to choke on 'whole' foods as they don't cram them in the same as older kids, plus the gag reflex is further forward.

My DD has whole grapes at 14months, yet a school age child near us died recently, choking on a grape. You'll never remove all the risk, so sometimes you just have to go with it.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

You don't have to leave it til 5 to introduce nuts at all though - if the OP wanted you could give him crushed nuts or nut paste like peanut butter, in regards to allergies xx

We've recently given lily cashew nuts and pistachios and she's 3 and a half now. We figured that by that time she's had nuts in cake or elsewhere so we thought the risk of her being allergic was low. Plus i don't think allergies to those nuts are as common (?) and I'd also heard that leaving it too late could make her more likely to be allergic.

My brother's allergic to hazelnuts and Brazil nuts so i won't give her those til she's 5 or more. We never have them in the house anyway. Though saying that, I've just realised she may have had praline and was fine, which has got hazelnuts anyway and I've also just remembered someone gave her a mini kinder egg at easter which we didn't know she'd had til later and that was made with hazelnuts too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back