Now I am Panicking.... :-(

munchkin1982

Reaction score
I am such a bad Mummy - or at least I feel that way now after having gone to baby clinic this afternoon.

I've been going on and on at OH about Layla's "possiting" and "being sick". Well today was the last straw. She was "sick" 3 times in the space of 10 minutes before we went to clinic.

OH's normal response is "all babies are sick" - very helpful... NOT

MIL's normal response is "all babies are sick" - very helpful... NOT

I explained to the doctor that Layla really enjoys her food and I have to "stop feeding her" otherwise she just wouldn't stop. Anyway, I make all my food up for her. She is still on veggies for her main lunch and tea followed by either a fromage frais pot or half a jar of pudding. Anyway, with the veggies, I have bags full of ice cube squares in the freezer of those. My ice cube trays are so small though compared to the bigger "rectangular" ice cube trays I see in alot of the weaning documentation. I'm guessing that they are about 2cmx2cm for size per cube - I basically get a heaped-ish teaspoon of veg in each cube.

Anyway, the more Layla has been trying the veg, the more she has wanted so at the moment, she is having 5 cubes which equates to basically 3/4 of a jar I would say.

So that explains the amount of food she is having. To add to that she also has 2oz milk mixed with porridge in the morning + 3x bottles totalling 18oz so she has her 20oz milk a day too.

So the doc knows all this and looks at her weight chart and said:

"um, yes, rather comical really. You are over feeding her" :shock:

Well I just don't know what to think now. What do you guys think? I also told the doc how she shows no sign of stopping and his comment was "She wont. She will eat until she is sick. That is what babies do." :shock:

What happened to a baby "telling" you when they don't want anymore? ie crying? screaming? pushing food away etc???

I am very very confused. Sorry for yet another food related and long post but I just feel so angry and upset that I may be giving Layla too much?

Thanks in advance... :) xxx

That doesn't sound right to me, when zac has had enough, he will push the spoon away, or let the food just fall out of his mouth, he has always been able to tell me he has had enough.

What you're giving her doesn't sound like too much to me, there is no need for the doctor to be so patronising!

I suppose you could try giving her a bit less to see if that stops her being sick? Don't really know what to suggest x

Hun :hugs: I def think you can overfeed a baby, but I don't think it sounds like u do :hugs: you and oh need to do what you think is best for her. Why is the doc sayin this, is she over the highest centeline? ( um not sayin babies that are are being over feed)

Xx

Forgot to ask, has she jumped up on the weight charts since you started weaning? X

That doesn't sound right to me, when zac has had enough, he will push the spoon away, or let the food just fall out of his mouth, he has always been able to tell me he has had enough.

What you're giving her doesn't sound like too much to me, there is no need for the doctor to be so patronising!

I suppose you could try giving her a bit less to see if that stops her being sick? Don't really know what to suggest x

Tell me about it hun. And now I get it all again at home from OH too :-( gggrrr.

I'm going to try her on 3 cubes again instead of 5 and see how we go but I personally didn't think she was having too much. xx

Last edited:
Oscar defo stops when he's had enough! He will either keep his mouth closed, spit it out or just start to grizzle, but either way I know he's had enough.

Think saying the 'babies will eat til they're sick' is a bit blazé really and not helpful to you at all. And tbh I've never heard that said before!!

Also... I get told the 'babies are sick' thing too, Oscar went through a phase of being really sick and yes I know babies do that, but it gets to a point where you know they're bringing quite a bit of feed back up, but I never got anywhere with help and luckily he really isn't that sick now.

Hun :hugs: I def think you can overfeed a baby, but I don't think it sounds like u do :hugs: you and oh need to do what you think is best for her. Why is the doc sayin this, is she over the highest centeline? ( um not sayin babies that are are being over feed)

Xx

Thanks hunni :) she's increasing each time I go. Put on 5.5oz since last week... xx

Forgot to ask, has she jumped up on the weight charts since you started weaning? X

I wouldn't say "jumped" just a gradual increase each time I go to get her weighed...

She's had no food or milk since 1pm and still being sicky and its time for tea now! :shock: :-( xx

Oh forgot to say, Oz hasn't dropped any milk feeds since weaning, but tbh he never eats food to get full and still uses me for filling and drinking and last time I had him weighed he'd gone back up to the 75th centile, which he was born on. The HV didn't say anything bad about it tho said that he's doing really well and he's not fat at all (which he isn't he's right solid and strong!)

Charley starts moaning when he's had enough, you def know when they've had enough!!
I might go see my hv tomorrow for weigh in and see if she's a better help x x

Just wanted to send a hug :hug: you know your baby better than anyone, doctors can be so rude and he had no right to speak to you like that. Babies do generally stop eating when they are full. Try her with less if you want but trust your instincts x

it's madness... Layla is inbetween the 50th and 75th centile. She was born just under the 50th centile. I don't understand the centiles etc if I am honest but she is going up everytime she gets weighed at the moment. But she really shows no interest in stopping eating as such. No spitting out or moaning that she's had enough. She moans for more sometimes if I'm taking "too long" getting the food on the spoon and to her mouth! It's madness. I've not gone higher than those 5 small cubes based on the fact that I didn't want to be over feeding her! It just annoys me that apparently I have been and now I've got to cut down :-( I just hope she will be ok. She's had to miss tea tonight and go straight on the milk which she will have in a bit before bed so that we can try the reduction in food intake tomorrow! Poor girl :-( xxx

What Baby Bean said hun, trust your instincts. You could go tomorrow and speak to another GP and they would probably tell you something completely different.

Give it a google and see if you can find other parents with children who behave the same way with food, i.e. taking longer to fill up. But whatever you do, don't worry because it does sound you have a normal healthy baby or just has a healthy appetite!

xxxxx

Thanks girls... I know deep down I need to trust my own instincts more, it's just so difficult when I've got OH moaning I feed her too much, and then the doc sides with him :-( gggrrr.

I'll see how we go tomorrow with a bit less food :) xx

I wouldn't worry Hun it doesn't sound like your over feeding her! we do part blw and part tw at lunch time Tegan stops feedin herself once she is full But when i spoon feed her tea she eats the equivalent of half a big jar and a yogurt But would carry on If i let her so i do think you can overfeed babies :hugs: xx

what a horrible doctor you have hon :( he had no right really.
Yeah I reckon as others said you prob can overfeed a baby but also the yare meant to know when they are full. Sounds like you are doing just right. Owen had LOADS of milk until recently now just has 15 oz a day (but still quite a lot) as well as 3 meals and 2 snacks. we blw and he can eat as much as he wants. he's a big boy but also crawling on the go all day long. he is on 99th centile. they didnt mention anything about him being too big. some babies want to eat a lot. Also what Owen eats is all healthy, not like he's eating sugars and fats all day long. With regard to the puree she has it is not really that calorific really is it? so i wouldnt worry baout cutting it donw or how much you give her? the puree prob fills her up a bit and is introducing her to tastes and textures. I would keep going with what you are. Does she also have fineg rfood? this can teach them about when they are full too I reckon, esp as it takes much longer fro them to eat it.
Good luck hon x

if i was you, i wud ignore doc, oh and mil!

sounds like u r doing perfect, as for being sick has she ever had reflux or anything

and i am sorry but 3/4 jar or 5 ice cubes is no way too much for a near 6 month old xxx

thanks Minchin and Piglet10 :) The veggies at the moment that she has are all steamed by me for fullest flavour and then blitzed to a puree form for her. She has, potato, sweet potato, carrots, swede, parsnip, broccoli, savoy cabbage, peas. Am yet to try her on cauliflower and brussel sprouts as am yet to get round to doing the next batch of veg so will probably try her on those tomorrow now. As for the puddings... I use the cow and gate jarred puddings which don't appear to be that calorific... between 60-70 cals per 100 grams (125 gram jars) and she has around "50-60g" of those at lunch and teatime after her veggies (providing that the weight given of the jars doesn't actually include the weight of the glass?). I'd say she's having equivalent to 2/3rds - 3/4 of a jar of veggies for lunch and tea.

Unfortunately for the next week, now (til HV visits next weds) I am on orders to only give her 3 of the cubed veggies instead of the 5 that she has been having to see if this stops her or decreases her sicky-ness.

I also forgot to mention that the HV is a little worried about the fact that she is also having "dark green" stools at the moment too... so have to submit a sample tomorrow for testing just to check that she hasn't got a bug etc. :-(

Finger foods... been told to hold off on those this week but to discuss with HV on weds next week (really wanted to get her on those this week :-()

Other than that, she doesn't have any "snacks" food wise inbetween brekkie/lunch/tea... I know of some babies that have 3 or 4 "snacks" in addition to 3 meals... :-( If anything, I would have thought I needed to give her more... not less! But hey-ho as they say! Will see how we get on the next week and if there isn't a very big difference in the sickyness then I will give her that little bit more again. She loves her food :) It's so lovely to see her getting on so well with it! Can't wait to try her on some meat soon... (was told to wait until after 6 months for that so anytime now really, but again, will talk to HV about that).

What do you reckon to her gaining 5.5oz in just one week though? The doc reckons that is too much too fast? xx

Last edited:
well whatever is right for you and itll be wirth trying for a week at least then if it doesnt work u can go back to mothers instinct!!.... i assume ur doc doesnt know about growth spurts,,, frickin idiot, babies dont usually gain weight steadily its in spurts, take his stethoscope and smack him round the head with it and tell him its from piglet! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back