NHS Fertility Specialust Referral

Birdie

Reaction score
My GP is referring DH & I to an NHS fertility clinic. We already have a son, so not for IVF or anything, just to get some expert advice.

I'm just curious exactly what they do? Do they run their own tests or just go on the ones our GP has done? I'm starting to suspect my thyroid might be playing up - does anyone know if this would get further investigation?

Thx

Basically they will do the tests again. Bloods (which include thyroid so if you have an issue it will be picked up), ultrasounds, hsg and SA are usually what they start with.

If they find any issues they will discuss what needs doing and should also talk to you about the treatment that would be appropriate even though they won't fund it.

Did the bloods your GP did not show any thyroid issue if you suspect that?

Thanks snowbee! The GPs blood test only shows TSH (mine was very low end of 'normal') and I gather for a proper diagnosis they would need to test T3 & T4 also.... I'm not sure whether to request my GP does this now?

Do you know when your appointment will be yet? If it isn't long I would wait for them to run the bloods after that, if it is ages away I would ask my GP. I'm not the biggest fan of having my blood sucked out so if they can do it all at once all the better!

Well after I posted, I kindof got an answer to my question by accident! :) I started bleeding today at cd22 (which is very unusual for me) and had a telephone consult with my GP who is running full blood work including thyroid (he wouldn't do T3 but will do antibodies) & anemia! So looks like I won't have to wait for my referral appointment.

Thanks for coming back to me though, I'm quite lucky that blood tests don't bother me too much, but I can completely understand other people's dislike of them! Lots in pregnancy though - which is a double edged sword!

I don't mind it but every single time they stab about trying to find some blood in me and I go out looking like an addict! I'm on a recurrent mc trial and they take blood all the time for that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back