Newborn Sleeping Question

fothers

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Maisie was born on Monday so is just 2 days old now. We had to spen the first night in hosie as she had meconium in the water but got out yesterday afternoon. What we are finding is that she will fall asleep really quickly when being held and can be really deeply asleep but the minute you put her in her basket she wakes up. The longest she has stayed asleep after lying her down is probably 5-10mins. She isn't really properly screaming but wakes and starts making noises.

Are we best to try and ignore her and see if she settles again- have tried for a few minutes and she doesn't seem to, or what? Last night was the first night at home and we ended up sleeping in 2 hour shifts each so that one could rest while the other held her and got her to sleep that way.

As I am typing this she has sctually been asleep hakf an hour in her basket- a record!!- we rolled up a couple of blankets and placed them lengthways down the sides of her so maybe that has helped. She is swaddled also. We have growbags but was going to leave that a few mreo weeks before we try them.

Also- when my milk comes in and she is feeling fuller does that help?

Sorry for all the ?'s but it is all so new and scary.....

Thank you :) :hug:

I remember our first few nights at home with Tim, we had the same thing. so I would sleep on the couch and OH would be asleep with Tim on the floor. That way we didn't have to put him down, but we still avoided co-sleeping (as we didn't want to do this!!)

On day 3, we bathed him at 8pm, fed him at 8.30pm and 11pm, then put him down in his moses basket, and he didn't wake up until 6 the next morning. Every night since then he's had a bath as we are convinced thats what did the trick!!

I took Dylan in with me when I was just exhausted and let him lie in my arms.....I make it out it was to help him but I liked it too :oops:

He didn't really like to be put in his crib to start with and would cry so I would just pick him up (I couldn't let a newborn baby just cry) but I kept putting him in his crib every night and eventually he got the hang of it but didn't sleep through the night until he was about 7 weeks. By the time I was out of hospital my milk was full flowing. The first 2 weeks at home were really tiring but it does get better.

btw I love the name you've picked....if Dyl had been a girl that would have been the name I would have chosen xx

She's still tiny and has been so close for so long it may take longer than a few days for her to settle alone in a basket :hug: Newborns sleep a lot but in lots of little bits, so her waking often is typical, though not the rule. I wouldn't ignore her being so young either personally. If you keep the basket near you when you put her down so she can still smell and hear you that may work, put something in the basket you've worn, so it smells of you. I co-slept with Isaac as he wasn't happy sleeping alone so cannot help really, sorry, but very best wishes and congratulations, she does have a beautiful name :hug: :hug: :hug:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/sleep/habitsbyage0to3months/

i think its a case of not being with you.. its basic instincs i guess..the towels rolled up for her to think ur there is good and also a top or nighty you worse yesterday might b good for her to smell you.. she will b more satisfied when ur milk comes in

Hey honey :) congrats!!!! :cheer: :cheer:

I remember the first week i slept with ruby on my chest half sitting up surrounded by pillows!!! That was the only way i could get ANY sleep. Then after a couple of weeks she laid beside me with my arm under her head so that i couldnt roll on her. She is still in the bed LOL 12 weeks later!!!! I love co sleeping though and dont think think this will change in the near future.
Ruby hated the moses and the cot.
Good Luck xx

We had a bit of a better night last night where she slept in her basket next to us for an hour or 2 at a time and has done this this afternoon too. We were having real problems breast feeding and I think she was quite starving too which wasn't helping. We saw a lovely breast feeding councillor today who was a great help and now she has a nice full tummy hopefully that will help her.

She will still get loads of cuddles too though :D

Thanks everyone :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back