Newborn baby clothes

Chopsie

Reaction score
Ok - this may seem like a daft thing to ask, but here goes!

I'm expecting a biggish baby - 8lb plus - because both my and my OH were big babies, and I'm taller than average. I know this doesn't guarantee a big baby, but I don't think a child has been born in either of our families that weighed less than 8lb odd in the last 35 years!

My question is - is it worth buying 'newborn' size clothes? They seem to vary from place to place - I've seen some that say 'up to 7lb' and some that are up to 10lb. Will 0-3 months be huge, even on a 8/9lb baby, or should I be OK? Everything I've got so far has been 0-3 months (not that I've got much) but now I'm worried I'm going to have nothing to put my baby in that doesn't swamp him/her!! I know I've got a while yet, but it's been nagging away at me over the last few days :wall: :wall:

Any advice gratefully received! :D

If you don't think you'll need them, I'd buy them but not wash them. I was surprised how little Lucy was so we needed some. That way you can either wash them, or return them for a bigger size.

All 3 of my boys were over nearly 9lb but 0-3 month clothes seemed a bit too big for the first couple of weeks, so i was glad to have newborn stuff. Everyone told me not to bother and just get 0-3 but i was very glad i didnt listen to them :D

we got three sleep suits and five vests in newborn and were given some romper suits, Logan was 7 lb 14 at birth, but was very long, he was only in them for about three weeks, but most of the 0 - 3 was just a little too big at the start.

Sandi

Jacob never fit into newborn. I wasn't thinking when I washed his packages and packages of newborn clothes we got as gifts, so we have a lot we couldn't return but never used.

Levi was nearly 10lb but still needed a few newborn things, he is 5 weeks now and just going into some of his 0-3 months.

I would recommend you still get Newborn stuff.

Connie was 8lb 9oz (so 75th percentile for girls) and she still needed newborn stuff for quite a few weeks!! The 0-3 stuff can be quite big.

The other thing you need to be aware of is that the 0-3 stuff REALLY varies depending on brand and style - so it's worth getting a few Tesco sleepsuits (which come up quite small) for the 0 month end and a few Next sleepsuits (which come up quite big) for the 3 month end.

Hope that makes sense!

Finlay was 8lb 8oz but didn't fit into any 0-3 clothes. He has only just stopped wearing some of his newborn stuff and he is 4 weeks old now and nearly 11lb! Some of the 0-3 stuff is still too big for him now so definitely worth investing in newborn clothes!

Haydie baby was 9lbs 5oz and didn;t quite fit into 0-3. I didn;t get any nb stuff except from HENNES big mistake as their stuff comes up TINY!!!!

x

Ditto about 0-3 being quite big and getting it but not taking tags off etc is a great idea. DD was 7lb 13oz which was pretty average though she's tall and she spent most of her time in Next 0-1 month for the first few weeks.

I would just get a few packs of vests and sleepsuits from Tesco in newborn but not open them so you can take them back. I only dressed Connie in sleepsuits to begin with anyway and you'll be given loads of clothes as presents. We were told to expect a big baby by the mw and every appointment would go "it's a biggun" and I'm tall and big built but she was 7lbs and avergae length then 4 days old she suddenly grew in length into 0-3 months. It's so disheartening packing up loads of unworn clothes :( .

Hazel said:
I would just get a few packs of vests and sleepsuits from Tesco in newborn but not open them so you can take them back. I only dressed Connie in sleepsuits to begin with anyway and you'll be given loads of clothes as presents. We were told to expect a big baby by the mw and every appointment would go "it's a biggun" and I'm tall and big built but she was 7lbs and avergae length then 4 days old she suddenly grew in length into 0-3 months. It's so disheartening packing up loads of unworn clothes :( .

Haha! I was average (maybe longish) and my husband was tiny, but we had a 10lb 4oz, 22" baby! The midwives and the consultant who felt around the day before I went into labour assured me my baby wouldn't be that big. Oh, his head circumference was average for a four month old.

zach was 8lb 8oz & he was in newborn up until a week or so ago, 0-3 honestly drowned him when he was born.
i tell you what though, matalan need to sort their sizes out, zach still fits in a babygro from there that's for early babies!

deffinately get some newborn stuff.just check the weights though. some next stuff only goes up to 7.8lbs which is no good for u by the sounds of it but you can get some newborn stuff up to 11lb which woulb be better. Dylan is now 10lb and still in newborn.

Thanks so much ladies for your helpful replies - seems like it's definitely worth getting newborn stuff, but I'll maybe only wash one or two bits just in case! :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back