baby clothes sizes aaaargh!

pixie17

Reaction score
i have decided to just buy the basic clothes needed for a new baby and wait to see what we receive as gifts before buying any more. however, i think i have made a boo boo when it comes to selecting the correct size for the things i have bought. my baby is predicted to be just over 7lbs when born. i have bought 'newborn' size clothes ( 6 sleepsuits and 7 bodysuits) but have just realised that the weight guidance is 10lbs (max) for these. i am now worried that the clothes will be too big for him when he is born. will they just be a little too big but wearable or should i buy the same items but in the lower size which is 7.5lbs (max). SO confusing! Last time i bought clothes for a baby it was size 0-3 and that was it!

Its hard isnt it. It also depends on where you shop as to the weight limit on sizes.

I didnt buy any newborn when AJ was born and had to send my stepdaughter out as all of the 0-3 was too big and he was 8lb 1oz.
I'd buy a handful of newborn next time as they did come i handy. x

I had newborn but my lo wasnt very big length wise and weighed 7lb 6oz and he was in up to 7lb till he was 10 wks old! Maybe buy 3 in the smaller size and then go out when baby is here!my oh went on a shoppig spree when lo was born and bought stuff that fitted him!

Issac was born 7lb5 he was 21 and a quarter inches long.

He only had newborn clothes and he is just starting to go into 0-3months but can still wear some newborn. They weren't stupidly big on him tho xx

My LO was 7lb 5oz born and fitted nicely into newborn clothes for a few months - I definitely found at all stages we've had far more clothes than she could possibly have ever actually needed, and would recommend waiting until baby is here and if you need more, it's easy to pick extra up. I wouldn't worry about newborn being too big though - I had one or two tiny baby outfits that someone gave to us and they did fit her, but it was a bit of a struggle getting them on and off, when they're that little it'll be much easier to put them in clothes a bit big as opposed to snug fitting!

We bought a small selection of newborn stuff and some 0-3 months. Our LO grew so quickly though that she grew out of both sizes by 2 months. Now we're in 3-6 and 6 months. So I'd say buy a selection of sizes but not too much of anything. LO will definitely grow into bigger stuff and if they're born bigger than expected you won't have wasted too much on clothes that are too small.

Ps-baby clothes sizing is a bit erratic just like adult stuff. Just thought I'd warn you ;)

my LO was 7lb 13oz but quite short (still only 51cms at 7weeks!!) she was too small for newborn i had to go out and buy early baby clothes for the first couple of weeks!

Im literally sorting out LOs clothes from when he was tiny today. Ive got a bundle of sleep suits and vests in tiny baby size if anyone wants them 2nd hand? I can understand you dont want to buy them if your baby's not going to need them. Mine was in them for about 4 weeks so I ended up buying loads! he was 6lb4oz born.

It's hard isn't it? I would get a few sizes then get more once baby arrives and you know the size. I found not many people brought baby grows anyway so had to buy more. Kynon was prem (only 4-5 weeks) but a big boy at 7lb 8oz and newborn fitted him then! He is really long and been in 3-6 months since he was about 10 weeks, it's not really the weight it's the length, are you and OH tall? My hubby is 6ft 5 so I expected a long baby he only weighs 13lb odd now but fills 3-6 months in length at 14 weeks!

My baby was 8lb 10oz at birth and newborn size clothes drowned him for ages. He was in that size til he was 3 months old then he started to shoot up really quickly. He wasn't a big baby though, he was very solid and small and well proportioned for a baby :love:

thanks everyone. i have bought 6 sleepsuits, 7 vestsuits and a pramsuit in size 'tiny baby' and the same amount of sleepsuits and vestsuits as well as two outfits in size 'newborn'. Is this enough? i also have some socks, booties, a couple of cardies and a hat. i am trying not to go OTT and wait to see what people buy for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back