help needed with baby clothes.

sarah2807

Reaction score
Hi, :wave:
I was wondering if any of you could help me with the clothes situation.
i have only just started buying bits for my baby and i don't know how many clothes to buy. I don't want too many but also don't want to be stuck with not enough for the first few weeks.

At the moment I have bought mainly sleepsuits approx 4 (newborn-think it goes up to 10/11lb) and an 2 outfits (they came in a pack together).
I also have a few 0-3 vests.

What would you reccommend buying?

I'm guessing I'll need some 0-3 sleepsuits too.

What about vests?-do newborns wear them under all their outfits even if it's summer? (baby is due in June)
Sorry if I sound a bit silly-this is my first baby and I'm a bit clueless!! :oops:

My baby was born in August and she wore vests under all her clothes but if it was hot i would just put a vest on her in the house :)

I bought loads of babygros and vests so that i didn't have to worry about the washing. I bought about 15 of each.
I'm glad i did because we just spent most of the first few weeks breastfeeding and i was quite tired with all the vistors etc so didn't really have time to be doing loads of washing :D

We didn't buy many clothes beforehand as we didn't know what we were having - proabably about 6 outfits, and a couple of packs each of vests and sleepsuits. Our plan was to go shopping shortly after the baby arrived, although we got given so many clothes we never had to.
charlotte was born in July and she didn't always wear a vest. She was always quite a toasty baby so she never seemed to need as many layers as other babies.
One good tip I can pass on though.....
charlotte had loads of summer clothes for older babies, which people had bought for her. I got some long sleeved vests from Mothercare and so she was able to wear them in the Autumn/winter when they fit her.
As long as you have a afew basics, I wouldn't worry. when I look at the pile of clothes she has already grown out of, I am glad we never went too mad buying more.

It can really depend, my son would wear one vest and sleep suit in the day and a different one at night, it was easy and he didn't create much washing! My niece however was a really sickly baby and could easily get through at least 4 different sets per day, my SIL was forever washing!

You will need atleast 3 changes of vests for each day, I made the mistake of thinking my Son would only need one a day & I had to buy more when he was born because I found he was leaking out of nappy onto it during the night and sometimes in the day and he was sick quite a bit. You can never have too many vests or sleepsuits, during the first few weeks/months you'll probably go through tonnes. With outfits we had loads but we brought a few before he was born and then we found when he was born people were sending outfits and clothes as presents. I do advise you buy a few 0-3 vests/sleepsuits. Harrison wears vests everyday even in the Summer, if he got hot we'd take his T-shirt off. When your baby gets a bit older then I don't think they have to wear a vest all the time but whilst they're so young they can't retain heat so well so a vest helps with that. HTH, Sorry I've rambled on a bit lol.

I had around 6 newborn suits and he grew out of 3 of them pretty quick so just put him into 0-3 - he wears a vest all the time tho

Paris was born in june and I had the sleevless suits for her from next

It's so easy to get carried away as there's so much cute baby clothes in shops.

I found that loads of people bought clothes when I had Jacob so I didn't need to buy that much.

People bought us a lot of newborn stuff, so if anybody asks what you want, say either 0-3 or 3-6 to make up for the un-asked-for newborn stuff you'll get. If you went to Adams and got size 11lb, that's their equivalent of 0-3 months by the way, their newborn size is 7lb, and their sizes are generally huge we've found so 7lb would do fine even if you have a heavier baby (Ryan was 8lb 7oz and didn't even fit the 7lb for a few weeks as it was too big!).

I'd suggest 0-3 stuff personally because Ryan was in it for a lot longer than newborns. You'll always find you have too much stuff anyway, so the stuff that you don't use straight away, keep the tags on (maybe receipts depending on when you buy stuff) and either pass it on to others, sell it, or take back to the shop and swap for another size.

Ryan wears vests every day and his normal clothes go on top. It helps to keep the nappy on and in place if nothing else..! So yeah stock up on vests, also make sure you have sleepsuits - you might not want the hassle of putting actual outfits onto a squiggly newborn when you aren't leaving the house anyway and have had about half an hours sleep.

Thank you for all your advice girls-you have really helped me out. :D
I'm going to get a few more vest and a few 0-3 sleepsuits then leave it until LO is here and also see what others buy.

I do LOVE shopping for cute clothes but don't want to waste my money buying stuff LO won't get a chance to wear!
xxxxxxxxx :D

Both of my babies were swamped by newborn size for the first 2 weeks. My son was 7lb 8oz and my daughter 7lb 6oz so they were in first size/tiny baby. It is worth getting a couple of cheap packets of vests and sleepsuits in that size unless you are sure that your baby is going to be big.

You can never have enough sleepsuits and vests, but I would go easy on the outfits as like others have said, people buy them as presents and you're unlikely to be going out much in the first few weeks. Sleepsuits are fiddly enough when you aren't used to handling a newborn without making life harder for yourself with extra layers and tops that have to be pulled over heads etc.

It's all about making life easy for yourself in the first few weeks. x

All my babies wore vests everyday and they went through them like they were going out of fashion I tell ya!
I remember the day after I had my first son, we were in hospital and it was my first day properly looking after him, changing him etc!
I took his little hospital gown off and put a vest on him, he puked, I took that vest off and cleaned him up, put another vest on, he puked again! And that kinda set the pattern of how it was from then on lol!
So I seriously recommend lots and lots of vest and babygrows in newborn and 0-3 months!
My DD was 8lb 9 oz and she was still in newborn for a couple of months!!

I bought a few newborn sleepsuits and a few upto one month sleepsuits. When my LO was a few days old, I had to go out and buy some more newborn suits, the upto one month were too big. It took us nearly 3 weeks to perfect the art of nappy changing! My LO is a boy so he either wees whilst I'm changing him soaking his vest and sleepsuit or wees up his back when he is in the moses basket soaking his vest and sleepsuit. He used to go through 3 or 4 changes a day. I couldn't keep up with the washing! Most people who bought us clothes went for the 3 - 6 month range. He is just over 3 weeks old and still in the newborn suits - mind these vary from shop to shop - some are bigger than others.
xx

We've just gone through 4 babygros and 2 vests already today, and its only midday. I have around 15 babygros and Oh just millions of vests.... :roll: and the draw with babygros is looking mighty empty today. :rotfl: :rotfl: don't get too much though because people will buy clothes for the baby...ask for baby gros, vests and nappies for pressies... :D also don't bother too much with newborn sizes, lil miss is already wearing 3-6month clothes.

we have 24 vests!!! (in 0-3) and quite a lot of clothes and sleepsuits too! I'm sure you can have too much but I don't care, i love having all the clothes and i'm sure they'll be usefull for future use!

We have been asking for bigger clothes from others so we have a good selection of clothes all the way upto 12 months! we've been 'sale' buying, i.e. we may have 9 pairs of 0-3 month leggings but when they are cute and 75p for 3 pairs you can't really argue!

We also have a ridiculous amount of shoes - about 12 pairs - ranging from 0 months to about 9 :oops:

melissa was a summer baby and people bought her some really beautiful outfits, but i never put her in them i liked the thought of her being comfortable and not bothered by buttons or zips digging in her back, tight or stiff restrictive material or designs, stuff like that so she just lived in babygro's and sleepsuits! it depends how much laundry u wanna be doing my boyf says he should buy shares in fairy non-bio coz of me haha but i'd say plan for 2 or 3 outfit changes per day, as stuff comes out both ends :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back