Newbie! Need advice!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Coquyet, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Coquyet

Coquyet Member

Hi there!

I've just found out I'm pregnant (haven't yet been to the doctors as it's taking a little longer than expected to get registered in a new practice), it wasn't quite planned but my partner and I are over the moon :) and a little freaked out nonetheless!

I think I'm between about 4 to 6 weeks - so it's still very early days but I need advice as I've just got a new job following a career break. I didn't know when I accepted the offer, and I am starting in about 3 weeks... Am I supposed to tell them? If not, when would be the right time to tell them?

It's an NGO and I feel quite bad about it as I'm very excited about the role, but life happens I guess...

Also, will I be entitled to mat leave?

Any help/advice would be very welcome! I'm sure I'll be roaming this forum quite a lot over the next few months!!

2. Sparklegirl

Sparklegirl Well-Known Member

Welcome and congratulations! What sort of job will it be, anything physically demanding involved? As far as I know you get maternity allowance from an employer when you have worked there for more than a year but you should be entitled to statuary maternity allowance from the government

3. Coquyet

Coquyet Member

Hi Sparklegirl!
    No not a physically demanding job (office based).
    Would you tell them straight away?? I feel bad but I can't afford losing the job now thatI have it!
    Thanks and have a nice day!

4. Sparklegirl

If it were me I would keep quiet until you were established a little bit, its ok to feel bad but I know if it were me I need an income and wouldnt say anything until I had to. It is feasible that ladies dont find out right away and find out after a few months especially if they have irregular periods... I know I would play on that.

Some might think I was being unfair to the company but sometimes you just have to look after yourself and a baby needs food and clothes etc so that would be what I would have to do if I was in that position

5. Coquyet

Coquyet Member

Yes I agree! Although I imagine they wouldn't dare fire me because of that!!

Good luck to you, sending some baby dust your way!!!

6. Sparklegirl

Work worries were the only reason I put of TTC sooner and its a massive regret now. Do what you have to do is all the advice I can give, interpret that how you will! Thank you, I think I need it!