Newbie! Need advice!

Coquyet

Reaction score
Hi there!

I've just found out I'm pregnant (haven't yet been to the doctors as it's taking a little longer than expected to get registered in a new practice), it wasn't quite planned but my partner and I are over the moon :) and a little freaked out nonetheless!

I think I'm between about 4 to 6 weeks - so it's still very early days but I need advice as I've just got a new job following a career break. I didn't know when I accepted the offer, and I am starting in about 3 weeks... Am I supposed to tell them? If not, when would be the right time to tell them?

It's an NGO and I feel quite bad about it as I'm very excited about the role, but life happens I guess...

Also, will I be entitled to mat leave?

Any help/advice would be very welcome! I'm sure I'll be roaming this forum quite a lot over the next few months!!

Welcome and congratulations! What sort of job will it be, anything physically demanding involved? As far as I know you get maternity allowance from an employer when you have worked there for more than a year but you should be entitled to statuary maternity allowance from the government

Hi Sparklegirl!
No not a physically demanding job (office based).
Would you tell them straight away?? I feel bad but I can't afford losing the job now thatI have it!
Thanks and have a nice day!

Hi Sparklegirl!
No not a physically demanding job (office based).
Would you tell them straight away?? I feel bad but I can't afford losing the job now thatI have it!
Thanks and have a nice day!

If it were me I would keep quiet until you were established a little bit, its ok to feel bad but I know if it were me I need an income and wouldnt say anything until I had to. It is feasible that ladies dont find out right away and find out after a few months especially if they have irregular periods... I know I would play on that.

Some might think I was being unfair to the company but sometimes you just have to look after yourself and a baby needs food and clothes etc so that would be what I would have to do if I was in that position

Yes I agree! Although I imagine they wouldn't dare fire me because of that!!

Good luck to you, sending some baby dust your way!!!

Yes I agree! Although I imagine they wouldn't dare fire me because of that!!

Good luck to you, sending some baby dust your way!!!

Work worries were the only reason I put of TTC sooner and its a massive regret now. Do what you have to do is all the advice I can give, interpret that how you will! Thank you, I think I need it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back