Never ending itching. Help please.

sholay

Reaction score
Dear All

I am new to the forum. So hello to all first.

I am 18 weeks pregnant and since 14th week, I have been too itchy. My legs and arms mainly get red and I keep scratching them. It is impossible to sit somewhere without not feeling itchy.

My doctor has given me a menthol body wash and an oil and a moisturiser. It helps but not a last. Itching never gos away forever.

I wish to ask you ladies who have been through this and what really worked.

I look forward to your help.

Thanks

I think this is something to do with lack of potassium if I remember rightly?! My friend had it when she was pregnant but not 100%. She got told to eat a banana a day by a relative whose a nurse. Sorry cant be more help!x

Oilatum in your bath might help, but also you could possibly try an antihistamine if the itching is really bad. Im sure cetirizine ( Benadryl) is safe to use during pregnancy ( i think its class B drug) but I would check with our G.P first.

Thanks ladies. I wish to avoid cetrizine. But can try Oilatum.
Also, have been eating bananas daily.

Tx

Have you told your midwife about this? That's one thing she circled in my notes to contact her immediately if I had. I'm sure it can be a sign of high blood pressure/pre eclampsia and maybe something else I can't remember the name of. I'd deffo tell midwife, it could be nothing but better safe than sorry xx

Right this needs to be addressed to your mw there us a thing that causes severe itching and it's something to do with either your liver or bile and a blood test will be done as I had it but my bloods came bk fine but if u have thus thing Ur beds to be treated

I'm exactly the same, but I suffer from ezcema so not sure if it's that or something else.

Just texted my mw to see if it's normal!

Go and see your midwife or visit your local maternity unit.

I had this last week and they thought it was something to do with Obstetric Choleastasis, this makes you itch all over and it's a persistent itch, I made myself bleed I itched that much.

It is to do with your liver finction and it not processing the bile acids correctly.

I thankfully do not have it my levels came back normal just yesterday, it can be controlled by a low fat/Low dairy diet ( I had been drinking huge amounts of milk to help my heartburn, I think that's what got me because I stopped doing that and my levels went back to normal) I also got recommended to take Piriton and ONLY piriton not any other antihistamine and it did work as well and has no effect on baby.

Also Aqueous cream has been my friend, slathering that on before bed when I was most itchy was amazing, also try and sleep under a light cover, if your blood heats that makes the itching worse I find :)

Hope that helps :) but get to your midwife and ask for the tests to be done, it may just be a case you will need monitoring like me.

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back