Need advice on my dogs behaviour

hearts81

Reaction score
I hate to admit it but I think I've started to hate my Golden Retriever.

We got him 5 1/2 years ago from the animal refuge, he was a stray. He was about 18 months old and not trained at all and scared of everything.

We got him house trained and he was good on and off his lead. Then after a few months he'd change and start peeing in the house and running off on his walks, so we'd have to train him again which would take longer than the first time. This has happened loads now since we got him.

Since I've had Reece though I cant cope with it anymore. Cleaning up wee and poo from the living room floor in a morning isn't easy now. Running through the streets of my estate with Reece in his pram chasing after my dog is dangerous and embarrassing :oops: He gets 3 walks a day it's not like he's craving exercise.

The worst thing he's ever done happened yesterday. He's always ran after cats whenever he can but they've always managed to escape. Yesterday we were on the field when he came racing past me chasing a cat. Within seconds he'd picked it up and started shaking it about. It was awful. I was screaming at him and throwing stones at him and Reece was screaming at the noises. The little cat eventually got away by scratching my dog in the eye. I will never look at him the same after this :(

I'm sooo pee'd off now as he's just flooded the kitchen and my flip flops with a massive wee... even though the back door's open!!!

However stressed I am though my OH has refused to even think about getting doggy re-homed. Easy for him to say though as he's not the one cleaning up after the dog!

Sorry about the length of this lol it feels good to twine :D

Firstly, if your dog doesnt come back when off lead dont let him off the lead at all. get an extendable one.

I cant help much with the other probs, im trying to train some habits out of our 9 year old jack russel and it is a challenge.
Id suggest registering at this dog forum http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php

There are alot of people there who can help you and know what they are talking about.

Good luck retraining your dog, it would be a shame to have to rehome him.

Oh hun, i really feel for you :hug: We had a Lab cross b4 i had Emily and whilst she was tiny and he was a sod for me, i would come home from work and he had gone upstairs and stripped the bed!!!!! bed 1/2way across room and bedding all down the steps!! He would pee wherever he wanted when he wanted even though was walked loads
He was as good as gold for OH grrrr
anyway when Emily was about 3 weeks old i let him into the garden and nodded off, when i woke up he had gone and we never got him back, to this day OH still thinks i got rid of him ( i didnt honest).

I am not saying you do this but you gotta explain to OH that it is extra work for you and not hygenic for Reece for it to be peeing constantly.
I would threaten to put it in garden all day til OH comes home from work!!! (obviously in shdae with loads of water)

I know it sounds harsh, but I would just re-home him when DH isn't there.
You don't need that kind of stress ontop of looking after a baby!

Can you get some advice from an animal behaviourist? I think it is unfair to take on one responsibilty and then give it up when you get another one.
Don't take it the wrong way, i am just a true animal lover, a dog is for life as they say. You could really do with some real advice and help though from a professional, it can't be easy. :D

mermaid said:
Can you get some advice from an animal behaviourist? I think it is unfair to take on one responsibilty and then give it up when you get another one.
Don't take it the wrong way, i am just a true animal lover, a dog is for life as they say. You could really do with some real advice and help though from a professional, it can't be easy. :D

I love animals too....but surely a child has to come first, and it really doesn't sound hygienic what the dog is doing.

I do agree though that maybe an animal behaviourist is worth a go. If it means you won't have to give the dog up, by all means, try it.

But my opinion is that at the end of the day, no matter how much you love your pet, your child is more important.

Hi, I'm a real big dog lover and I've read loads on behaviour and stuff. The best book I've read is The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell. It's all to do with dominance, I expect your dog thinks he's the head of the house. Most dogs hate being in charge and it causes them distress, especially if something happens beyond their control and they don't know what to do. Or maybe it's because since having your baby he's feeling left out and not getting as much attention as before, therefore, his way of getting attention is by messing on the floor etc. Do you tell him off if he messes? Cos if you do then he's getting the attention he wants even though it's negative attention. And running away off the lead could be him 'leading' his pack to hunt, and as he caught a cat he succeded. Be careful with the scratch to his eye, cos my dog scratched her eye in a bush and it ulcerated, after 3 months, 3 operations and a £1200 bill she as now ok.

Hope this advice helps. Read the book I mentioned or just talk to your vet, they might be able to give details of a behaviourist. Please don't give up on your dog

Would maybe look into doggy training classes?
send oh, not just you!!!
Seems like its just you doing the work, yet oh is the one who doesn't want to get rid... thats not fair.
Agree with arcanegirl with the extendable.... we got one for our pup that goes 8 meters or something so its not like she's restricted, she loves it, and we can pull her back if we need to (other dog situation etc!) Maybe a harness too if you don't feel safe with him just being on an extendable (like in the cat situation) maybe he'd respond to a harness too??

Would also recommend the book "its me or the dog" she's got some really good tips in there combined with reasons why dogs do what they do!

xox

Fingers crossed said:
Hi, I'm a real big dog lover and I've read loads on behaviour and stuff. The best book I've read is The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell. It's all to do with dominance, I expect your dog thinks he's the head of the house. Most dogs hate being in charge and it causes them distress, especially if something happens beyond their control and they don't know what to do. Or maybe it's because since having your baby he's feeling left out and not getting as much attention as before, therefore, his way of getting attention is by messing on the floor etc. Do you tell him off if he messes? Cos if you do then he's getting the attention he wants even though it's negative attention. And running away off the lead could be him 'leading' his pack to hunt, and as he caught a cat he succeded. Be careful with the scratch to his eye, cos my dog scratched her eye in a bush and it ulcerated, after 3 months, 3 operations and a £1200 bill she as now ok.

Hope this advice helps. Read the book I mentioned or just talk to your vet, they might be able to give details of a behaviourist. Please don't give up on your dog

I agree about the dominance. Dogs are pack animals and need to be treated a such. However I also strongly believe your OH should get more involved too, its not fair just you being responsible for cleaning up the mess made.

:hug: it is hard work. My dog is 15 and he sometimes messes in the house so we shut him in the kitchen and put him outside during the day which makes me feel mean - saying that he is a collie and always used to be outside all the time anyway. He is hard work but I still love him.

A harness is a good idea too, My dog used to pull all the time but since i got a harness for him he doesnt pull anymore and feel much more in control of him.

Hiya thanks for all your replies :D

arcanegirl said:
Firstly, if your dog doesnt come back when off lead dont let him off the lead at all. get an extendable one.

A harness is a good idea too, My dog used to pull all the time but since i got a harness for him he doesnt pull anymore and feel much more in control of him.

My dog pulls really really bad. I've tried an extendable but that doesn't make him pull any less and twice he's ran round the pram and tipped Reece over :shock: Luckily he was strapped in tight and came to no harm. I've got a body harness now which stops him pulling. It's great until we see a cat then he just refuses to move and he's too strong for me to drag him. so I just have to stand there looking all embarrassed until he gets bored :oops:

jo said:
I am not saying you do this but you gotta explain to OH that it is extra work for you and not hygenic for Reece for it to be peeing constantly.
I would threaten to put it in garden all day til OH comes home from work!!! (obviously in shdae with loads of water)

OH not really hygenic so it makes no odds to him :( All I have is a tiny yard so I wouldn't keep Harts outside all day, not fair on him.

My house is tiny too so I cant just leave him in 1 room either.
I need to take him out on two 1hour walks and one 20 min walk a day to give him some space which I suppose is good exercise but it knackers me lol.

I will look at the books mentioned on here and maybe consider a training class or something but I just cant see anything working after this long. I would never get rid of him for my sake I just think that he would be better off with someone who has more time for him and with a bigger space for him.

Never mind I'll see how it goes, thanks all :D

Am sure you'll make the right decision for both you and the dog. Rehoming isn't always nice but if it is in his best interests then its for the best :hug:

Hi, for the mess round the house please look into crate training, my dog was house trained intwo weeks as a young puppy using this method! Basically the dog sleeps at night in his own comfy cage and he will never mess in it.

My dog also chases cats, birds etc and has been scratched too, I find it really annoying as she is well behaved unless she sees a cat but at the end of the day this is nature. I'm worried about when I have my baby too cos I know she will pull and I think I'll just have to let her go!

At the end of the day though if he is a real problem and you are resenting him its probably better he goes to a new home. Dogs are sensitive and can pick up on our moods so perhaps he's a bit out of sorts. I hope it work out :D

I agree with the crate training, my dog was toilet trained within weeks. And when she went out for a pee I kept telling her to "go for a wee" when she was sqatting and very quickly learnt to pee on command!! Very handy. At the end of the day you gotta do whats best. Hope it works out for all of you :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back