Need a good book about autism

lozzi

Reaction score
Well as the title says really, at the moment were currently in the process of getting a diagnosis for autism for my nephew.

But thing is, as im sure those who have gone/are going thru this process realise its a VERY long drawn out process.

At the moment my sister is struggling to deal with his behaviour, and im just looking for a fairly basic book, which explains to her all about autism but more importantly how to cope with an autistic child.

Over christmas his behaviour has become quite challenging, with his hitting out slapping/punching etc.. but he has also started throwing himself on the floor and head banging

Its quite worrying as we have never experienced anything like this, and we feel like were not getting the support we need from the local health authorities.

I have told my sister to get on the phone to the HV and demand support. But she wont do it.

What books can you recommend?

ta

hiya hun, dont know any good books but has she spoke to rachel? her family support worker?
she can help with the diagnosis process x

jodie_honey said:
hiya hun, dont know any good books but has she spoke to rachel? her family support worker?
she can help with the diagnosis process x

Gemma said that rachel doesnt think he is autistic.

Even though the nursery says she thinks he is, and has refered AND the HV has same thought and has refered.

I dont think our Gemma will have told Rachel everything tbh.

His symptoms are:

Hardly speaks
Doesnt understand things
Doenst interact with the other kiddies
Slaps/punches/ headbangs etc
seems to get really frustrated from nothing
He is really thingy with his routine its weird.
He lines up all his toys on the side
The paper flicking thing (not sure if u have seen that?)
and his 18 month check showed his development was lacking drastically.

theres other little things, but you'd need to see it iykwim

When nursery first spoke to our Gemma about leo's little traits, she said "oh he's just shy"

bless her. but over past few months he's getting well bad, with his behaviours..

When my parents wanted a diagnosis for my brother they had to go privately (he was about 6 at the time - but this was about 16 years ago mind - supposedly things are better now). There are only very sepcific professionals who can diagnose Autism (it's irritating as a Speech Therapist as you quite often pick up on the signs but can't really do anything about it).

There are loads of good books about - I agree about contacting NAS as they have some good, practical advice. I can't remember any of the specific titles my parents have offhand but will find out for you when I next speak to them.

Christmas is a very difficult time for a lot of kids with Autism as all the routine goes out of the window - people are off work, the house looks and smells different, there are lots of visitors etc etc. Things will hopefully settle down a little once things get back to normal. :hug:

which nursery is he at? beever?
thats shocked me about rachel, she is normaly gud with pickin these things up hun maybe the hv shud be pushin on it abit more but i know what they r like. :roll:

jodie_honey said:
which nursery is he at? beever?
thats shocked me about rachel, she is normaly gud with pickin these things up hun maybe the hv shud be pushin on it abit more but i know what they r like. :roll:

nope he is at the one half way between shaw and oldham.

Having an autistic child myself I would recommend Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide

it took a long time for our diagnosis and even now she doesn't get loads of help :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back