NCT classes

Rachel80

Reaction score
Has anyone any experience of these? I'm booked on a weekend course in a few weeks as opposed to NHS ante natal......just wondering what to expect? Bit nervous & dreading them a bit! X

Sorry hun can't help. Was booked on but had to cancel as none of my birth partners could come!
I have friends thst have spoken very highly of them though :)

Xx

I am doing 16 hrs course. We have two sessions left. They have honestly been really good I debated so much about paying out for it as 215pounds is a lot of money but you know what it's answered so many questions for both me and hubby has given me lots of ideas to help make labour easier for myself taken away a lot of fears and helped us meet lovely people too. The breastfeeding class was not preachy and gave lots of tips to make it easier for both mum and baby and how dad can feed while mimicing mum when you express. Brilliant.
The other hand I went to the nhs one which is a1 day class and was good for finding out about my hospital specific things but the general information given while better than none was not a patch on nct. Eg in nct we discussed ways to breathe and things you can do to make the labour easier position wise and were shown positions on balls etc and she demonstrated breathing and how to listen to your body, the nhs onemw was lovely btw but she gave us a sheet of paper to explain how to breathe which didnt explain very much made pain reliefs sound quite scary and off putting where as even tho nct did discuss them it was made to sound informative on both pros and cons of each the nhs one also did things like how to breast feed and the information was not as clear, (that said there is a seperate day class for breast feeding with nhs I haven't attended because I was so dissapointed with the antenatal day) the antenatal day nhs again was a larger group and the positions were again shown via a cartoon rather than having a go. Just not the same quality I dare say only doing nhs you would get the basics but I definatly recommend the nct ones and it really helped my hubby too to understand what would be happening etc x

Thanks for this K8 we're starting our NCT classes in August and was wondering if we'd made the right choice. Hope ours are as good as yours! X

Yes yes yes!'

I loved ours and found them informative without being OTT

I also made some excellent friends, who 14 months on I still see regularly. It was brill in the early days as all babies were born within 6 weeks if each other so we could help each other out with questions and stuff

I've def made 5 friends for life from my group xx

Thank u ladies! That makes me feel a bit better. We r going to do the sat & sun, won't be going to the breast feeding class as won't be breast feeding....hope to make some mutual friends, just dreading getting the giggles, I know my oh is going to hate it! x

We did NCT classes and i am so glad we did as i have some great friends now! Definitely worth it in my opinion.X

Thank u ladies! That makes me feel a bit better. We r going to do the sat & sun, won't be going to the breast feeding class as won't be breast feeding....hope to make some mutual friends, just dreading getting the giggles, I know my oh is going to hate it! x

I fort hubby would hate but he found very informative and useful the men are made to feel very welcome and involved and actually learn a lot about supporting you in general as for giggles we laugh and joke at mine as well as going through serious stuff so don't worry xx

What stage of your pregnancy do you do the classes ladies?

Do none of you get the free ones? We get 2 hour early pregnancy then a 6 hour one for first time parents. It's like nct ran by the hospital but not quite as in depth. We are doing these and paying for hypnobirthing x

Do none of you get the free ones? We get 2 hour early pregnancy then a 6 hour one for first time parents. It's like nct ran by the hospital but not quite as in depth. We are doing these and paying for hypnobirthing x

We get the free ones but judging by some of the people I've seen in the hospital waiting room when I've been for my scans etc I'd rather go private! I'd like to meet some like minded mums too & I doubt I'd do that on the NHS. That may sound snobby but I want to be able to meet people I have things in common with x

I'd give them a go - we went to our first two hour one and the other three couples were very similar (late twenties to my age which is 34) young professionals (teachers, microbiologist etc) and actually seemed really nice. :) I could eat my words at the next one ha ha x

yes the nhs in our area do a one day course but having been to both the nct ones are soooooooo much better and well worth it. x

I did debate paying for nct but picked the hypnobirthing as thought may help me get through labour more (or could go out the window) x

What stage of your pregnancy do you do the classes ladies?

in the third trimester, you usually do the nhs ones at around 32-28 weeks (which is quite late in my opinion as some people have had their babys by then) and nct there are usually a choice depending on how long a course you want and your area but usually start from around 30 weeks or before i signed up later so there was less space and choice i should have finished nct ones last week 35 weeks but because of two sessions that got postponed we have two more this coming week. you can sign up to nct early though and pay in installments too the nhs ones are free. speak to mw about them. nct go to website its fairly self explanatry x

Last edited:
We get 4H of nhs ones. Not till I'm 36/37 weeks though!

Xx

We get 4H of nhs ones. Not till I'm 36/37 weeks though!

Xx

Yeh my nhs free ones all day was 9.30 till 1330 so four hrs inc lunch break was meant to finish at 3 but she said we had finished early?!

Last edited:
We start private classes tonight 14 hours in total over a few weeks. Am also starting nhs ones monday week

I've just booked my NCT classes!! 2 antenatal classes and 1 breastfeeding class. Can't wait!

I went to NCT ones for my first pregnancy. They were useful and informative and we made some great friends. All but one couple have kept in touch and we shared the experience of having kids the same sort of age. We've all just got back from a weekend at Centreparcs together. I would definitely recommend :)

Using Tapatalk can't see no tickers grrrrr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back