Nasty nappy rash all of a sudden?

tinselcat

Reaction score
Hi there

My 19 month old has never really had nappy rash, sometimes it gets a bit sore & I put sudocrem on & he recovers.

Today out of nowhere, he developed a really bad and painful nappy rash, the nursery staff said he was crying and refusing to sit down & when they changed his nappy they saw why.

Tonight I saw it and his poor little bottom was red all over & he cried in pain when I was wiping his bottom with the gentlest of newborn baby wipes.
He was fine this morning, so I don't understand what has happened.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Or any tips on how to get rid of it asap?

Thanks xx

this happened with my little girl and I was really upset as she'd never had nappy rash. I tried a few different things and nothing really worked apart from a canestan cream. a few days after it appeared I randomly decided to feel her gums and she'd had two back teeth come through. son far she only had 6 at the front and she'd shown no signs of teething so I had no idea where they were from but I blame these for the nappy rash as once they were through it went as quickly as it had come

lots of nappy free time helps and I'd keep going with the sudo

it's heartbreaking though I hated watching her scream and squirm while doing her nappy as it felt like my fault

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Ellen :)

Interesting on the teeth - we also have 6 through at the front and a couple of big ones about to pop through! (one big molar at the top has just broken through)

I have loads of canesten in the house so hopefully we can calm little bottom down. I agree it is totally heartbreaking to hear them scream when you wipe botty as gently as possible though! xxx

Last edited:
Poor mite. I find vaseline over the sudocrem works miracles. It acts as a barrier to any teething poos and it also heals the skin inside and out. I hope he feels better soon!x

Lexi suffers with nappy rash whenever she is teething (sometimes to the point of bleeding - poor mite!) I've found that using cotton wool and water is better than wipes (even water wipes) and as much nappy free time as possible.

I have recently started using Weleda calendula nappy change cream, which seems to be helping more than sudocream. Lots of people swear by the yellow metaniun, but Lexi reacted badly to it.

Hope it clears up soon x

We're the opposite, Bee reacted to Sudocrem but is OK with Metanium (sp).... we use the yellow one not the everyday one if ever her bum gets sore.

It's not often but does come on quickly!! Thankfully it usually clears quicky too.

Never heard of using Canesten before?

X

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If it is really bad do go see your GP. My son still gets sore bottoms even though he wears pants throughout the day. Once his was so sore it looked like it was burnt and it bled, bepanthan just went nowhere and did nothing. We got prescribed a steroid cream and it worked wonders. The shelf stuff really is preventative and they do work well on most bum rashes but if it is very bad and the creams you use don't work after a day or two, just get it double checked and get something stronger.

I use bepanthan from the shelf and generally works well.

Last edited:
My lg used to get it terrible when teething too. Best advice I ever had was egg white! I know it sounds weird but it always cleared it overnight. Whisk up the egg white and use your fingers to apply then pour some in the nappy too where the rash is. Works every time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back