Names - seeing what they look like?

Small Flower

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just wondering how many of you, had chosen your babies name and were definately decided on it, then when bubba was born you thought they didn't look like the name and changed it?

I'm finding it hard to comprehend why a baby doesn't look like its name, in my head (being a first timer) I'm thinking all babies look the same, small and wrinkly. And don't they change their appearances from being first born anyways?

We have our name picked out already you see, I can't think what would make us change his name, when he's born.

I reluctantly agreed to decide a name now, my OH wanted to name her now but I wanted to wait and see what she looked like first, my OH thought I was mad for saying that. Anyway, we have decided on a name and I doubt we will change our minds now no matter what she looks like.

I did stick with the names we picked but my kids did look like their names lol!
They just do, I guess you will know what I mean when your baby is born??
None of my kiddies looked the same when born! I guess other peoples do lol? haha
I do know some people who named their child then changed it by the time they registered them as they just didnt look like what they originally picked!

Quite early in my pregnancy with Nathan I'd decided on his name and I did call him that when he was born. I think because I'd definately decided on the name Nathan and had spent so long knowing I was going to call him Nathan it just suited him anyway when he was born iykwim?

I've got a name for this baby but am not 100% sure on it yet so this baby might end up with a different name when he's born :)

I have a few names picked for boy and girl and will decide which one when LO arrives, like you im not sure whether one name would suit more over another once we see our baby.

My DS was Cameron from very early in the pregnancy, we never had a reserve name for a girl nd found out before the birth he was a boy. We all spoke to him and used his name whilst he was inside me so his name was really well used and there was never a question of whether it was right for him as it was him IYKWIM.

With this one I like the girl name better than the boys one for some reason and everyone refers to my bump as a she so we will have to wait for the 20 week scan in a few weeks to tell, this time Im a little worried about if the names will suit as it has all been a huge shock so getting used to having a baby has been enough! I am hoping the names will become the baby as per last time, but time will tell.

Me and OH had decided on a girls name long before we had even started trying to conceive. We just had to decide a middle name.
When we found out we were having a girl we didnt even consider any other name and when she was born we didnt even think about whether it suited her, it was what we had planned for so long :D

We never had a boys name picked out really, just a few ideas. Think it would have taken me ages to choose a boys name and would have probably made the decision after the birth.

We decided on names early on, but have back ups in case we look at baby and realise the name we've picked does'nt work. We are also open to changing our mind from our back up name if we really feel that isn't working either.

Names are for life, so we want to be sure we are getting it right. What we like our child might hate later on in life (I began to loathe my name in my teens and wish my mother had named me instead of my father), so its something we are taking very seriously.

We were keeping our minds open but had sort of stuck with Ashley for the majority of the pregnancy, with us being team green and Ashley being a unisex name.

When we had him, the first name we thought of, I don't know why, was Zach. So that got stuck in our heads - it was on our list anyway but we hadn't given it too much thought. We decided that he would probably change his features after a few days though once his face was less squashed from the birth, if you know what I mean. A couple of days later, we decided he looked a lot like a Ryan, at complete random we just thought the same name. Ryan was also on our list but not one we'd thought about much. So he's Ryan Zachary Nathanael (daddys name). We'd always decided to have the Nathanael in there but because I was torn between Ryan and Zach we kept them both.

I named James after the 20 week scan, and never thought he didn't look like a James after he was born.

We named Logan after seeing him in 4d. Whilst we were choosing names I never thought he didn't look like a particular one.

However, my mum was adament she was going to call my older brother Steve throughout her pregnancy, but when he come out she thought he looked like a Robert despite not giving the name a thought previously.

the only name OH and i agreed on during pregnancy was ciaron. but when we had the baby he just didn't look like a ciaron.

we hadn't told anyone the name anyway, but ended up choosing connor - it took us 2 days to decide after he was born though!!

I dont think its abad thing to have a name picked out ready...we had a shortlist but hadnt really decided and as Eva arrived late at night we didnt decide what to call her until OH came to see us the next day, so I felt very mean that she didnt have a name for a good 12 hours! :oops:

All the hospital staff kept asking me what we would call her and i wished we had already chosen!

I was set on Riley from around 20 weeks, hubby wasn't as keen. However when Jacob was born he just didn't look like a Riley! I can't explain why but it just didn't :lol:

name-choosing while i was pregnant was a right ball-ache! we werent ttc so had never even discussed baby names until we decided to keep the baby by that time i was nearly 7 weeks (was 6 weeks when i found out) and it was only then we discovered that we had very different taste in names and we just couldnt agree at all it was hard work- and we had a 33-week time limit to add to the pressure- we eventually found a name we both liked (liked as opposed to tolerated!) with only 4 or 5 weeks left to go!

we'd already decided when we picked the name melissa we would shorten it to millie- millie is cuter and suits a baby more than melissa which is a bit more grown-up she's growing into her full name! thats what i'd suggest, if u choose a very grown-up sounding name or one that maybe doesnt quite suit a tiny baby, then shorten it to something more baby-ish until they grow into it.

yes ur right babies do change their looks a bit- altho millie now still resembles newborn millie, her face has changed. iv totally got the mum-bug now and i do think she's the most beautiful baby in the world and every day im just in awe when i look at her little face- but when i first saw her i didnt think she was :oops:
i'd never seen a newborn before and i think i'd been expecting a peachy-cream complexion, smmoth-skin, sparkling-eyed baby like i have now- not wrinkled, purpley-pink, squashed and bulgeing eyes! one of the MWs said "oh, shes beautiful!" and i remember thinking "do u think?!" :oops: :lol: dont get me wrong i wasnt repulsed or anything i felt the love at first sight and wanted to hold her close and safe but i just thought i'd get that "my baby's the cutest baby ever" things that all mums probably have but that took about 12 hours (and a bit of sleep) to kick in.

i hav a girl friend whose girlf was once married to a guy and they had a baby knew it would be a boy and chose a name- but when he was born they looked at him and instantly scrapped the name theyd chosen, coz "when they saw him he was ryan- he couldnt be named anything else"!

so i guess just wait and see- its exciting! :dance:

Before I had the 20 week scan we had picked Aaron James as the boys name and we didn't even have a girls name. When we found out it was a boy his name just stuck and when he was born I didn't even think whether he looked like his name or not he had always been Aaron so he stayed as Aaron.

We have the name picked for our girl but we don't call her by it, she's more just baby sister at the moment because it's easier for Aaron to understand and that's what he calls her.

Tia was supposed to be Raven...but she popped out not looking anything like a Raven...Sooooo my Ex named her Tia. :roll:

I was team green and had two names for a girl - Mhairi and Freya and two for a boy - Thomas and Caleb.

When the surgeon told me that I had had a wee girl, I said to my mum, I wonder if she'll look like a Mhairi or a Freya?

The minute I saw her the first thing I said was "Oh my, she looks like a Mhairi!" and it stuck!

xxx

We've picked about 5 names we like for LO, we have a favourite but haven't told anyone as we want to make sure it suits her. The reason we're waiting is that with my younger brother Mum and Dad had decided to call him Michael, Dad wasn't allowed in the room for the birth and when Mum had given birth she decided he looked so much like my Dad she named him after him instead without asking my Dad. Dad had an argument with the Dr when he asked him if he wanted to his "little Philip!" Dad was saying how he knew the name of his own son and it was Michael not Philip! So we're being cautious.

We chose our son's name after seeing him in a 4D scan. We think he really suitedit and he still does. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back