My story - mega long (sorry!!)

weenik

Reaction score
Arrival of Bambi
I went to the MW for a regular ante-natal appointment on the Thursday (30/8) and it was one of the original Midwives that was on that day. She tested my urine which was ++++ protein, noticed the swelling on my ankles and hands and then she tested by BP. BP was slightly up from my previous appointment 2 weeks ago, so because of all of the symptoms she told me I was going to hospital that day, and to make my way up straight away.

I went home first to meet my mum and pick up my bag. My water supply had been cut off that day for maintenance but I managed to grab a quick shower before the tank emptied. I was starting to get nervous at home because all through my pregnancy I have wanted to have a natural birth – I didn’t want to get induced or have any drugs and I knew that going to the hospital may put a stop to my plans! Got to the assessment suite about 1.30pm and got taken through to a room where they done the usual checks; BP, pulse, reflexes, bloods and they also hooked me up to the monitor that measures the baby’s heartbeat and any contractions. I wasn’t having any contractions at this point. I was in the assessment suite for about half an hour and got seen by a Doctor who explained that I possibly had pre-eclampsia and I may have to be kept in hospital to be monitored. He explained a little bit about the condition but at this point I really didn’t think that it was anything to worry about.

Shortly after I was transferred through to the Labour ward where I was put into a High Dependency ward – at this point I still didn’t realise the seriousness of the situation. My blood tests came back while I was there and Doctor Searle spoke to me to tell me that it was highly likely I had pre-eclampsia because I had all the symptoms and while I had been in the hospital, my blood pressure was continuing to rise and my swelling was getting worse. She explained that the only way to make me better was to deliver the baby because that’s what was causing the condition. She asked if she could assess my cervix and possibly put a tablet in to try to start my labour – she said if we don’t do this there is a possibility I could die. I know this was quite harsh, but I had explained that I really wanted a natural birth and I think they realised that I didn’t understand how bad things had got since I had been admitted. I let her examine me and she said my cervix was soft and was about 2cm dilated so she put the tablet in to try to speed things up. I was to be monitored for the next 6 hours and if there was no progress then there may be the necessity to perform an emergency section. At this stage I was getting pretty worried, and I was hooked up to the monitor again to check baby’s heartbeat and any contractions. I started to feel contractions – they weren’t sore though so I knew that if anything was going to happen it would be a while!

While all this was happening, I was continually monitored and having blood pressure checked and also having my blood taken every few hours. My blood pressure was continuing to rise (normal is 120/60 – at this point it was 170/98) and I didn’t realise but my whole body was swelling up with water. My mum didn’t tell me until afterwards but apparently my eyes were sinking because my face was so swollen and at one point she was rubbing my back and said it felt like a sponge. At this stage they decided to get me on a drip and give me magnesium sulphate – this was to stop me having seizures, which is one of the things that happens when you have eclampsia. When this was administered it felt like someone was filling me up with the most boiling liquid and poring it into holes all over my body. They did tell me it would be horrible but I didn’t realise how bad! I stayed on this but it was only the initial injection that had a big impact. I was also taking medication to try to bring down my blood pressure, but it didn’t seem to be working because it went up to 178/107 at one stage.

From here it is a bit hazy because it was all systems go – I had doctors, nurses, midwives, consultants in and out the room constantly. After the 6 hours I got assessed again and was told that there was no change and my cervix was still only 2cms – I had been feeling slight contractions but it hadn’t opened any further. At no stage did they tell me what to do, but they did explain in detail what the implications of waiting would be – also, because of the situation there was no way they would let me birth in the pool. I knew I had to do what was best for Bambi and me so I agreed to have an emergency C-Section. I did feel really gutted, but also physically and emotionally drained and I think by this stage I felt really bad and was aware that we were in danger. I then started to feel better that I would be meeting my baby soon, and made sure that they knew not to tell me the sex but to bring the baby to me so I could see for myself – at least that was one part of my plan I could stick to!

At around 4am I got taken through to theatre and was prepped for my spinal – this was another nightmare. Due to the oedema, my back was swollen so much that the Anaesthetist found it very difficult to give me the spinal – my left leg kept shooting up all the time because it felt like someone was putting electric shocks up my leg. I know that this was because it was touching nerves but it was kind of scary! He eventually got it in while I was sitting on the edge of the bed with my legs wrapped round a midwife to hold me steady and then I felt my legs getting heavy. My mum was allowed in at this stage and the Anaesthetist stayed up behind the screen with us and talked me through what was happening. I felt some tugging and pulling which I thought was a good feeling because I knew what it was, then after what felt like an eternity I heard a little cry! I started crying at this point because I felt that it had taken a long time but my mum and the staff kept me going. They told me they were just going to clean the baby up before bringing him/her to me and I kept telling them just to bring the baby over now – I didn’t care what it was covered in. I didn’t realise until later (my mum saw and told me later) that they had to give him oxygen because he wasn’t breathing properly. 7 minutes later they brought the most perfect looking little baby to me and unwrapped the towel so I could see that I had a little boy! He was the most gorgeous thing I had ever seen in my whole life and the relief that washed over me at that point was immense. I couldn’t hold him so my mum took him and lay him beside me so I could kiss him, then they ripped my gown and put the baby onto me for skin to skin contact and I felt the most amount of love possible. After this I slipped in and out of consciousness a few times – I thought I was just tired and had to sleep but I now think it was probably shock, relief and a million other emotions.

We got back to my room and Frances (my MW for that shift) noticed that Bambi was having problems breathing so she put him on the little unit with the lamp to keep him warm and told me that she was going to get a paediatrician to check him over. He came and they took my baby away to the ITU. At this stage I was still very ill, and my blood pressure was still dangerously high so I had to stay in my bed – hooked up to the IV thing and catheter while Bambi was taken away.

I’ve just realised how much I’ve typed – got a bit carried away there! I was kept in hospital for a week so I won’t go into everything – I’ll be as quick as I can. Bambi had swallowed/enhaled meconium (I genuinely think he got a shock and wasn’t ready to come out) and had got an infection so he was given anti-biotics. He also had trachoma which is a problem with his breathing so he was in an incubator and was all hooked up to drips. When I went to visit him I was heart broken to see him like that. He stayed in ITU for 3 days then was transferred to HDU for 2 days then eventually he was allowed up to the ward with me. I had a massive headache for 5 days and BP was still high so they kept a really good eye on me and really helped with everything. I went to see him as often as I could but it was really difficult to see him like that and not be able to help him. The staff were incredible - I have nothing but praise and respect for every one of them that looked after both of us and give great praise to the NHS for the care received. I had my own MW assigned to me in the HDU then when I moved to the ward the MWs there were so helpful that I couldn't help but be surprised. We got out on Thursday and are settling in well back at home although Bambi is having a bit of a problem with breast feeding. I was expressing milk that was being fed through a tube to his stomach so he’s being very lazy and hasn’t quite mastered the sucking yet but I’m determined to breast feed him because, after the start he’s had he really needs all the best nutrients I can give him. I’m persevering with the breast but also giving him top ups of expressed milk by cup so he’s getting enough food. I just hope that I can stop the cup feeding soon because it takes up a lot of extra time.

I still haven’t decided on a name for him yet – I have promised to make my mind up by Sunday! Sorry this has been so long, but I am known for talking a lot. I’ve not added a picture because I don’t feel comfortable posting it on an open forum – must be the over protective mum bit kicking in. Forgot to say that he was 7lb 12oz so he was a good weight - he has lost a bit since then but now we're home we'll make sure we both get back to full fitness soon.

Hey hunni, amazing, and emotional birth story :hug:
im sorry to hear that you didnt get your birth how you wanted it but it was better to be safe :)

sounds like hes gorgeous be quick to put some pictures up hunni
:hug: well done and congratus

What a story. Im glad that you and baby are safe and well, thats all that matters. cant wait to hear his name! x

Gosh, sounds very eventful, and sorry you didn't get the birth you planned, but at least you are both safe and well now.

I had problems with breastfeeding too to start with and used the cup for a few feeds, but you'll get the hang of it. I've been using nipple shields if they might be of help to you you can get them in mothercare.

All the best to you both, welcome to team blue! x

Glad to hear all turned out well in the end.... congratulations :hug:

Wow! Your story really touched me - well done for getting through all that, and congrats on the arrival of little man :clap:

:hug:

well done hun, sorry you didnt get the birth you wanted but glad you and your baby boy are fine now.

xxxxx

Hi Nik,

Don't worry about writing down too much. As well as it being generous of you to share your experience with us, I think it's important that you write down your birth story in great detail (and when you still remember it clearly): it helps you to "de-brief" after a very emotional - often traumatic - event. If you are able to get all your thoughts down and process, in order, what went on, then you can more quickly put it behind you. I'd recommend you print it out from this forum and keep a copy too because it's nice to look back on, in a few years' time, or when you have your next child. :D

I'm glad that you made it through with your little boy - he sounds wonderful and you must be so proud. I'm glad too that you had your mum there with you - it sounds like she was a great support through everything.

Remember to take things easy and just concentrate on resting and feeding your new son. I'm sure he'll bring you a lifetime of joy :D

Congratulations!

xxxxx

Hey weenik,

What a lovely lovely story - I am so pleased that you got your little boy in the end and that everything worked out well - but so sorry that you and your wee one were ill - how are you feeling now?

I don't have much advice on the b/feeding but I know that when things were tough for me, perseverance and stubbornness was the key. My baby has only ever had breast milk and I am so proud of this fact.

Valentine xxx

Wow that sounds like an ordeal. I'm so glad you two are ok now. Congratulations!

I'm going in for a C-Section on Tuesday due to the baby being breech and if you can make it with all the problems you had I'm sure me and Baba will be just fine. Thanks for sharing that. :hug:

Thanks girls - starting to feel much better now and baby is starting to feed a lot better too. I still haven't got a name decided yet - how terrible is that?! I've asked a question in the baby names section but I'm almost sure that I'm going to call him Dylan (after Bob Dylan who is one of my heroes!).

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all their support over the last 9 months - this forum has helped me enormously. Looking back I can't believe how quickly it goes so please enjoy having your baby kicking and punching in your belly - although I'm in total love with my wee boy, I kind of miss having him inside me. I think that's because I need to share him with others now!! He really is the most special little person ever and I can't believe I made him.

I kept a diary throughout my pregnancy and I've just typed up the extended birth story - it's 97 pages long, but I'd definetely recommend it. I'm going to print it off and make a book out of it so I can put it in a baby box with all Bambi's special items (like hospital bands, cord clamp etc).

You can tell he's sleeping just now - I've just typed loads again. I'll get off now! xx

Aww, weenik, glad to hear that you're beginning to recover and are able to start really enjoying your baby boy now. Dylan is a great name - and I agree, Bob Dylan's a wonderful lyricist (as well as musician). I hope your son lives up to his inspirational namesake.

It's a big responsibility, naming a child, and it might seem a bit "weird" at first (using his name) but very soon you won't give it another thought because he'll have grown into it so well.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back