• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

My little man's arrival

KirstyL

Reaction score
Well ladies, where to start (apologies, this will probably be a long one).

Got up wednesday morning, to get OH and DD off to work and school, and was feeling contractions, so started timing them, and they were coming every 9-10 minutes and wasn't all that painful, so just got on with bits around the house. Had a few last minute bits I needed from town, so off I went at about 1200, contractions by this point were about 6-7 minutes apart, and were really hitting home with each one.

Got into town, wandered round a few shops, had to hang onto rails at one point when one hit, cause was agony, got into John Lewis and felt a wet leg, went up to toilets to check and my trousers and underwear were soaked throught, so rang the MW unit and she said I should go in to be checked (now I thought my waters had gone earlier in the week, but they checked and said no), so in the car I get and plod off to the hospital (don't ever try driving with contractions, it wasn't the cleverest thing I've ever done :( )

Gets into hospital at 14:15 and strapped onto the monitor so they can check little man & confirm waters have definately gone - which they had . MW gave me a sweep, said I was 2cm and booked me in for induction for the friday, if I didn't go beforehand. Got back home about 4pm, lay over my ball for about 15 minutes while waiting for OH to get home from work, got in the bath, but no position was comfy, OH rang the MW who said she could hear me screaming in the background an, contractions were every 3 minutes by now, lasting a good 50 seconds, MW said to go in, was a bit of a mission trying to get out the bath and dressed in between contractions, but finally managed it, the trip to hospital was hell, but luckily only live 2 minutes away.

Got into a delivery room at 18:20, was laying over a beanbag while MW checked how dilated I was, and I was 5cm - yay!! Was begging for epidural, but MW was trying to explain labour was progressing quickly and it might be too late?! Gave me G&A, which was manageable at the time, G&A soon made me sick and away with the fairies, but couldn't let it go, the pain was out of this world, I kept asking for the epi, and I could hear them trying to get my OH to talk me out of it, but he was like "no, I know her, I know she wants it", all I could hear was them saying something about the anethetist might not get here in time - I don't care, just give me it!!

Anyway, was 10:35 and I was 8cm by the time I had it, it was a mission, cause contractions were really close & was struggling to sit still long enough for him to put in the needle, and was being sick, got it in though, and crikey it was heaven, I just remember sitting up in bed and chatting like nothing was happening. I remember looking at the clock and thinking "comeon Jacob, you've got an hour to be a due date baby!". I got to 10cm at 12:30ish and was pushing and pushing, but remember nothing was happening, they couldn't see his head or anything and said his HR was dropping, put my feet in strirrups, and I had the worst backache imaginable, kept begging them to help me, because I couldn't push the baby out, was pushing for almost 2 hours and nothing was happening, baby was moving up and going back again, and the epi was wearing off, so could feel every pain and they wouldn't let me have the G&A back again, was so angry they wouldn't help me get him out. In the out they said they'd need help to get him out, so they called a doctor in, she checked me out, said the Jacob was back to back and that's why he wasn't moving up - my OH was fuming that they hadn't realised this earlier , doctor then tried to turn him, felt like she stuck half her arm inside me! (OMG that hurt like nothing, lol!), but he wouldn't turn, kept turning back again, heard her say she'd try ventouse, if that didnt' work, then it'd have to be a section - the next few minutes all I could feel was her pulling and me pushing, then his head crown, she had to cut me slightly as he got stuck again, and he eventually came out sideways at 02:53am on the 21st July, weighing 7lb 3oz, after one very traumatic labour on both our parts, he is however, an absolute stunner and I love him to bits, can't stop staring at him.

Doesn't end there tho! they moved me to the ward at 05:50, and did all the baby checks the following morning. That afternoon at about 14:50 we noticed he was bright red and just slept. He also only cried at birth and not since, and had only fed for about 10 minutes. Told the doctors who took him away and moved us to Transistional Care Unit. His temperature was 39 and they thought he may have had an infection, but it's hard to locate in NB's. He was 11 hours old and they had to pump his tummy, give his blood sugar tests, do a blood culture test, insert a tube into his tummy to feed him, and put an IV line in his tiny hand for antibiotics. It was the most scary time, I was really worried he wasn't going to be okay, and seeing such a tiny baby with tubes coming out of him was horrible. They said they'd keep him on anti b's until his blood cultures came back (48 hours), and if he hadn't picked up then he'd be monitored in SBCU (OMG). Kept us in hospital, kept running tests on him, thankfully he picked up and his bloods were fine, so they couldn't pinpoint exactly what the issue was, and said probably his birth.

We finally came home on sunday afternoon, and he's a little angel, cause he's BF, he's feeding on demand, so sometimes every 10/15 minutes, othertimes he'll go a couple of hours, he doesn't scream the house down, he's absolutely perfect and I'm just so glad he's okay and we're home. I have to say during the time we were kept in, my OH was amazing, coming in to see us, bringing me things (cause I'd only packed for overnight), tidying up at home and looking after my daughter :)

Anyway, sorry for the war & peace essay, but couldn't really make it any shorter, lol. Anyway, a fair few pics attached if you're interested :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/imag0084x.jpg/

Hes amazing, well done. Sounds like it was deffiently an 'experience' x

WOW hun, quite and ordeal there! glad baby Jacob is all well now :) hes gorgeous too! x

awwww well done...he is a proper cutey xxx

Of course we're interested! He's lovely and you sound very positive even though you went through a really traumatic time!

I've heard if your waters go in John Lewis you get £1000?!? Congratulations btw xxx

Congratulations! he is lovely..

Ive got to give birth in that hospital, hope they give me a epidural if i want one when i ask for it!

Congratulations Kirsty! Well done! He's gorgeous! xx :love:

Congratulations he's a stunner! Quite a birth story, so glad u r all at home safe and sound as a family now.

I've heard if your waters go in John Lewis you get £1000?!? Congratulations btw xxx

I don't know, I was mortified, just left quite quickly, lol!, was told afterwards that you can get vouchers, which would have been handy, but not to worry!xx

Congratulations! he is lovely..

Ive got to give birth in that hospital, hope they give me a epidural if i want one when i ask for it!

Haha, I know, I actually thought about you while I was in there!
I like to think they were just trying to put me off because it was going very fast, but knowing now what happened with the turning him etc, I'm glad I had the eipdural, cause there's no way I could have done it with just G&A :).

Thanks everyone - he is worth every minute of the pain, and I am bias, but he's absolutely beautiful :)xx

Brought a tear to my eyes - expecially when I saw the gorgeous pics after the story.... well done xx

Brought a tear to my eyes - expecially when I saw the gorgeous pics after the story.... well done xx

Aww thanks hunni, he is a little star and it makes me well up when I think of what he went through :( He's so content though, it's amazing, considering his first few hours!
xx

I read this post & thought I'd replied! For some reason it's not showing?? So just wanted to say again - huge congratulations, well done you & he's beautiful x

Sunnyb xxx

awww he is gorgeous with his wee spikey hair! Congrats and well done! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back