My birth plan

bobkat

Reaction score
OK, I've just written this first draft.

I need to shorten it a bit but wanted to get everything on there before I discussed with mw and hospital when I go for my visit in a couple of weeks. Also I am going away this weekend and wanted to get a copy done, just in case.

Can you think of anything else I've missed??

Birth Preferences of Kathryn Ingleby
EDD 24/09/10

Birth Companion:
*My fiancée Bob Parkin will be my birth companion, I would like him to be with me at all times and to be involved in decisions regarding my and the baby’s health if for any reason I cannot.

Type of Birth:
*I would like to have as natural a birth as possible and to help me in this we will be using a number of Hypnobirthing techniques. I understand that special circumstances may lead to compromises or changes to this plan. Please discuss any medical interventions with us as thoroughly as possible before proceeding.

During Labour:
*I would like to stay at home as long as possible before coming into the hospital to give birth unless any special circumstances arise.
*I would like FHM to be as discreet as possible, I do not want to have more vaginal examinations than are absolutely necessary.
*I would like the labour room to be dimly lit and quiet with music of our choosing.
*I would like as few people as possible present to help maintain a calm atmosphere.
*I would like to be active e.g. birthing ball, rocking chair, stool, variety of positions to help labour along.
*I would like to use a birthing pool if one is available.
*I would like to use any aromatherapy techniques that may be suggested by the staff at the hospital.
*If labour slows for any reason I would like to be given the opportunity to use natural techniques to get it started again, if labour is just slow but is still progressing then I would like it to be allowed to take its course. Please do not put hospital ‘time limits’ on each particular stage.

Pain Relief:
*I do not want to be asked anything about pain scales or indeed any reference made to ‘pain’.
*I do not want to be offered pain relief, even gas and air. If required I will ask for it.
*I would like to use the hypnobirthing relaxation techniques I have learnt, massage, baths/birthing pool. I would consider using a tens machine.

Giving Birth:
*Preferably in a birthing pool, if not then kneeling on or beside a bed would be my preferred position.
*I would prefer to use Birth Breathing to help birth the baby, and not be told to hold my breath and push. I do not want to be told to pretend I am having a number two! I would like this part of labour to be calm and quiet, no ‘cheerleading’. I would also like to respond to my body’s urge to push rather than being told to because I have reached full dilation.
*I would like Bob to be the first to tell me the sex of the baby.

After the Birth:
*I would like skin to skin contact with the baby, please do not be vigorous in cleaning the baby, I would like the vernix to be absorbed into the baby’s skin.
*I do not want the placenta to be cut straight away – please wait until it has stopped pulsating, Bob to cut the cord if he wants to.
*I would like the injection to speed up the birth of the placenta.
*I would like to breastfeed after the birth and would like advice and support in this.
*I have no objection to the baby receiving the Vitamin K injection.
*If the baby requires medical attention for any reason then Bob will accompany them at all times.

Sounds pretty good to me :) I still need to write mine...cutting it a bit fine really aint I?! lol! x

Sounds great!! Covers everything i think.. x

Sounds good to me. I have no idea what I'm going to write on mine- I just can't decide what sort of birth I want.

That is excellent and covers everything. I like the way you've divided it into stages. I think I may use something very similar to this for mine if you don't mind.

I like this - i was wondering where to start and what to include!!!

I know certain bits i would like to happen but have not even really thought about baby being cleaned first!!!

sounds perfect to me..what is vernix?

Vernix is a covering of white stuff (not the technical term...:roll:) - none the less, it covers baby whilst in the womb to protect it's skin. Before babies are born, most of it comes away and is digested by baby creating it's first poop or is absorbed into the skin after birth! Think that's right...

^^^ yeah that's right, when baby's born it might still have this white stuff on it. If it's allowed to the baby will absorb it into their skin and it acts as a really good moisturiser.

Feel free to use the format Buttons - I got the basic format from another person's on here, Rachel Dee I think - and thought it was really good - I liked the sections too.

Thanks for all your feedback guys, will let you know if the mw or hospital suggest anything else in the next few weeks.

Sounds great!! I not gotta do one as Im having elective c-section xxx

WOW!!! Amazing!!!

I might have to use this as a template if that is ok??

xxx

Thats fine Lucy, as I said earlier, its Rachel Dee's format that I just put my own stuff in. Glad you found it useful.:)

Sounds great!! I not gotta do one as Im having elective c-section xxx

You can still have your preferences down in writing hun to have the kind of birth you prefer, we were advised that even for sections you can take in your own music, smells, oils and afterwards the skin to skin and partner telling you the sex of the baby and all that business.

Thanks all..I am glad I learnt another new thing today..:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back