finally written my birth plan - yay me!!!

claireyfairey

Reaction score
:dance: :dance: :dance:

So I decided to get my head down and write my birth plan at long last :) Thought I would share it with you girlies - let me know what you think! It's hard to write a birth plan without sounding like a right mardy cow :rotfl: so I really hope it doesn't come across as self righteous and bossy :?

Birth Plan for Claire Louise Arnopp

Due Date: 28th September 2008
Scheduled to deliver a baby girl at QE2 Hospital, Welwyn Garden City
Birthing partners: William Buck and Diane Arnopp

LABOUR

• I would like to labour in the birthing pool if it is available.
• If the birthing pool is unavailable whilst I am in labour I would like to be able to change positions frequently in order to aid the labour process; such as squatting, kneeling, using the birthing ball etc
• I would appreciate guidance from the Midwife present during my labour on positions to try, breathing techniques etc.
• I would like my labour to be as natural as possible, and would like to be able to take my time and work with my body rather than feel hurried or that I am delivering against the clock.
• I would prefer not to have continuous monitoring unless this is absolutely necessary. It is important to me that I am able to move around freely whilst in labour.
• I would prefer not to have an IV unless I am severely dehydrated and it is absolutely necessary; I would prefer to receive fluids by mouth.
• I would like to keep the number of internal examinations to a minimum, however I understand they may be necessary and am willing to cooperate if they are needed on a more frequent basis.
• I would prefer to try natural methods in order to help labour progress efficiently such as walking and nipple stimulation before a Syntocinon drip is administered in order to speed up the labour process.
• I would prefer not to be catheterised during my labour, and would prefer to be encouraged to empty my bladder naturally.
• I would like to have all medical interventions and suggestions explained to me in detail during my labour. I suffer from anxiety and will feel more relaxed and assured if I am fully aware of the procedures being undertaken during my labour.

PAIN RELIEF

• I would like to limit the use of pain relief during my labour. I would like to use Gas and Air and water as my main methods of pain relief. I am willing to consider other forms of pain relief such as an Epidural but I will ask for this only if I feel it is absolutely necessary.
• I would prefer not to use opiates as pain relief during my labour.

DELIVERY

• I would appreciate guidance from the Midwife present during delivery on breathing techniques and birthing positions.
• I would prefer not to be lying on my back at all during the delivery of my baby.
• I would like to avoid an Episiotomy if possible, and would appreciate guidance on when to push and when not to push in order to avoid any tearing during the delivery. I would like a local anaesthetic if an Episiotomy is required, or if I require any stitches after the birth.

ASSISTED DELIVERY/CAESAREAN SECTION

• If forceps or a ventouse delivery is required I would like this explained fully to me before it is undertaken.
• I would like to avoid a Caesarean Section if at all possible.
• If a C-Section is inevitable, I would like to have William Buck present with me at all times.
• I would prefer to be awake for a C-Section, and would like to avoid a general anaesthetic unless it was deemed the safest option for my baby and I.

IMMEDIATELY AFTER DELIVERY

• William Buck would like the opportunity to cut the umbilical cord.
• Providing that the baby is deemed healthy I would like her to be delivered straight onto my stomach/chest. I would like to wipe her down slightly and initiate skin to skin contact with her. I would like to try and breastfeed her as soon as possible after the delivery.
• I would like to receive an injection immediately after the birth in order to speed the delivery of the placenta. However, I would prefer that the umbilical cord was not tugged upon unless deemed essential, and would prefer to try and push the placenta out myself.
• I am rhesus negative, so will require my bloods taken and the baby’s cord blood tested immediately after delivery.
• I would like to be present for any medical evaluations she may require after the delivery.
• If possible, after the birth I would like to be able to spend an hour or so of quiet time bonding with baby and William Buck before being transferred to the ward.
• I would like the baby to receive a vitamin K injection after the birth.
• I would like any complications during the birth to be explained fully to William Buck regardless of any perceived emotional trauma.

BREASTFEEDING

• I intend to breastfeed my daughter and would greatly appreciate help from the Midwives present in order to accomplish this successfully.

I realise it's a bit long :wall: Is it too long? I wanted to be thorough though :wink: Opinions please? :)

C xxx

It doesn't seem too long to me, and I don't think you come across as self-righteous and bossy at all :hug:

Thanks :) I borrowed bits from yours I think, you posted in my birth plan thread in the ask a mum's section a while back I think...? :oops: :lol:

i think thats really well written, everything's put across nicely.
do you all think it's necerssary to write a birth plan? my mum's being my birth partner & i just thought i'd tell her everything i want/don't want beforehand. or is it better to get it in writing?

claireyfairey said:
Thanks :) I borrowed bits from yours I think, you posted in my birth plan thread in the ask a mum's section a while back I think...? :oops: :lol:

Yeah I did, I remember now! Glad I could help! :hug:

Charlotte - No I don't think you NEED a birth plan, I guess its up to the individual. I wanted one because I was excited at the thought of writing it! :oops: and I guess I just felt I needed one.

Good lord yours sounds so similar to mine!!!

It sounds perfect hon! We'll be fine :hug: :hug:

claireyfairey said:
Steelgoddess said:
Good lord yours sounds so similar to mine!!!

It sounds perfect hon! We'll be fine :hug: :hug:

Here's hoping! :pray: :hug:

One of the things I put on my birth plan was that I wanted to be able to pull him up from out the water myself, Im hoping that thought and vision will help me through!!

x

Sounds good Clairey, i think you've covered everything :D

sounds good to me.
I've never written a birth plan, im not actually sure how much use it is in actual labour, but its fantastic to write these things down and get them clear in your head ready for labour day!!!

god that sounds so precise and organised :eek: , I wouldn't have thought of half these things if you hadnt posted!! :shock: arrgghh Im clueless! :?

Looks good.

FWIW most hospitals now operate a skin on skin policy striaght after birth so that should be done as routine unless you stipulate otherwise.

I'd drop off the due date blurb at the top but thats just me. Seems excessive.

I'd maybe condense a few things together as you repeat them in a couple of places.

That is spooky! My one looked similar! :lol: It is looking good just don't do what I did and forget to print it off and take with you! :roll:

charlotte_ said:
do you all think it's necerssary to write a birth plan? my mum's being my birth partner & i just thought i'd tell her everything i want/don't want beforehand. or is it better to get it in writing?

I'm not writing one. I think if I had any clue what it was going to feel like I'd do one. I would like to not have pain relief but for all I know I'll be screaming for an epidural at the slightest sign of a contraction!

So my birth plan is - stay at home as long as possible, see what contractions are like, have epidural if contractions are too painful and try not to have a c-section. Everything else, I'll decide on the day :D

I would highlight key words and parts that are most important to you, as it may be that it is viewed by numerous staff and sometimes they seem to skim read, but are looking for key points.

Also may be useful for your birthing partners to either have a copy and/or bring it to the attention of staff if/when necessary :) x

xmcnickyx said:
charlotte_ said:

I'm not writing one. I think if I had any clue what it was going to feel like I'd do one. I would like to not have pain relief but for all I know I'll be screaming for an epidural at the slightest sign of a contraction!

So my birth plan is - stay at home as long as possible, see what contractions are like, have epidural if contractions are too painful and try not to have a c-section. Everything else, I'll decide on the day :D

:lol: you're winging it like me :cheer: seriously though its not that ive been lazy and couldnt be arsed writting one, as you said ive never experianced that before so i have no idea what the pain is like or how ill cope when it gets to the nitty gritty. as for who cuts the cord etc if there isnt an emergancy they ask your birthing partener anyway and if he wants to he'll voice up.
im dubious of epidurals... a few weeks ago i was dead against them but with the big day looming i think 'phah, see what happens' not gonna cut my nose off despite my face if i cant cope with the pain then gimmie all you got.
IF i was to have another after this one (depending on birth haha) then i think id write one as i will have in my head what i did and didnt like about the previous birth but then again every birth is different.
:doh:

christ i dont half waffle! :oops:

***vix*** said:
:lol: you're winging it like me :cheer: seriously though its not that ive been lazy and couldnt be arsed writting one, as you said ive never experianced that before so i have no idea what the pain is like or how ill cope when it gets to the nitty gritty. as for who cuts the cord etc if there isnt an emergancy they ask your birthing partener anyway and if he wants to he'll voice up.
im dubious of epidurals... a few weeks ago i was dead against them but with the big day looming i think 'phah, see what happens' not gonna cut my nose off despite my face if i cant cope with the pain then gimmie all you got.
IF i was to have another after this one (depending on birth haha) then i think id write one as i will have in my head what i did and didnt like about the previous birth but then again every birth is different.

Lol - I am like that in life, everything is done on the fly :D

I wasn't sure about epidurals but had to go to speak to an anethatist last week and it made me think a bit more about it. He talked about it in such a nice, matter of fact way (even explained how it worked, comparing my spine to a packet of polo mints and made me laugh by telling me the needle goes into the minty bit :D ) that the initial aprehension I had has gone and now I think it's a great idea!

A lot of women are very judgemental to me about epidurals which, as a first timer, has made me feel like a faliure of some sort for considering one. Now though, I kinda think they're the daft ones for going through the pain when they don't need to! :lol:

xmcnickyx said:
***vix*** said:

Lol - I am like that in life, everything is done on the fly :D

I wasn't sure about epidurals but had to go to speak to an anethatist last week and it made me think a bit more about it. He talked about it in such a nice, matter of fact way (even explained how it worked, comparing my spine to a packet of polo mints and made me laugh by telling me the needle goes into the minty bit :D ) that the initial aprehension I had has gone and now I think it's a great idea!

A lot of women are very judgemental to me about epidurals which, as a first timer, has made me feel like a faliure of some sort for considering one. Now though, I kinda think they're the daft ones for going through the pain when they don't need to! :lol:

wish id of seen your anethatist mine was an arse some old fella with a big bad attitude problem. i asked him a question and he just waved them off like it didnt matter in the end when he said i think thats all i hit him with all the questions i was trying to ask while he was wittering on at me and told him we're finished when you answer those questions... grrrrrrrrrrr. he answered them but sounded bored by it. my point of view is i dont want some cockhead who can't even answer a question without it sounding like ive asked him to donate one of his lungs to me, shoving a needle into my spine :shakehead:

xmcnickyx said:

that's mine too! haha. i don't really know how i can prepare for it until i know how it feels.
my best mate had her son recently, and she wanted a water birth with gas & air, but ended up in a hospital bed with an epidural. i think i'm just gonna roll with the punches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back