My Birth Plan

Mervs Mum

Reaction score
Katy said she'd like to see it so here it is. This one is for if I have him at the Birth Centre as we're still in the process of planning a possible home birth. It's not really changed much since my last one :)

BIRTH PLAN FOR MERVS MUM

My baby’s estimated due date is XXth Xxxxxx 2010 – This is my third pregnancy.

I am having a BOY – he is called Xxxxxx.
I would like to have my baby in the Xxxxx Birth Centre.
I would like to have a bath in my room if possible or to use the birth pool.
I would like my husband to be with me the duration of labour and birth.
I don’t mind if a student midwife is there but would prefer no groups, including student Doctors.
I would like to have an active birth, being mobile for as much of it as possible and will be using ‘hypnobirthing’ and possibly a TENS machine.
Hopefully I will have my own birthing ball with me if not I would like to be able to use one.
I would also like to deliver using a birthing stool. My last birth (at the Birth Centre) was on a stool and my husband sat on the toilet behind me supporting me – this seemed to work well for me.
I would like Gas and Air through a mouth piece not a mask.
I would like as few internal examinations as possible so I don’t get too fixated on how much I have dilated and I only want to know if I am 9cm or more dilated.
I do not want an epidural – even if I request one if I start to lose control at the point of transition, I do not want an epidural. My husband will remind me of this and help me to regain calm using the hypnobirthing relaxation techniques we have been practicing.
I do not want pethadine or similar drugs. I do not like the effect they have on me. Please try to avoid suggesting this to me.
I would like my husband to stay with me through out the birth but in no way encouraged to look at the baby’s head crowning etc or at my ‘physical’ progress during delivery.
I would like him to be handed straight to me if possible.
I would like my husband to be able to cut the cord if possible.
I would like to have some quiet time with the baby and my husband as soon as is possible.
I would like the injection to help deliver the placenta.
I am happy for my baby to have vitamin K.
I intend to breast feed so would like ‘skin on skin’ as soon as reasonably possible and will latch him as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Thats so helpful, thankyou. so many things i hadnt considered!!

Thanks for sharing Merv's Mum!! Birth Plans are something that are talked about a lot but I've never actually seen one written down! I like the way you have worded things too, firm but flexible as appropriate to you and bubs!

I wrote a detailed birth plan, but ended up not taking it out of my bag.

It was useful for me though, as I had already set out in my mind what I wanted, so I could tell the MW when I got there.

The big stipulation for me, was no mention of pain relief from the MWs. I've had bad reactions to drugs in the past, and I knew what was available to me and had researched thoroughly. I didn't want a MW to keep suggesting something like morphine or an epi when I was trying to cope by myself. I told them if I wanted it, I would ask.

I was a nightmare in the end though :lol: I ended up wanting to do labour on my own and kept ordering OH and the MW away. MW was fantastic though, and left me alone in the room just coming to check in every 20mins or so. She was so quiet, and knew exactly what I wanted without me having to tell her, a sign of a good MW!

I didn't realise that most of them things could be put in a birth plan. I like the one about the epidural, that even if you ask you don't want one, and the one about not offering drugs other than gas and air. I might go as far to write a few requests down myself, something i've never done. Cheers for sharing hun xx

Like you Nic I dont want seeds planting in my head. I didnt ask for pethadine last time but they kept suggesting it over and over and then to OH. I refused several times but eventually gave in. I wish they had suggest the birth pool instead but hey ho.

I think it's really important that your OH knows what's important to you. The epi was the key part for me and I drilled him from being about 6 wks pregnant. And when I predictably started to lose it and ask for one, he was pretty stead fast - even with me effin and jeffin at him that I changed my mind. I warned him and he knew that if he allowed them to give me one I'd be effin and jeffin for years after so it was the better of two evils! :lol:

:rofl: that was what I'd drilled into hubbie i'llnever forgive you if I have an epi!! they can do anything to me apart from that even if I pin you against a wall and beg for one it isn't what I really want :rofl:

Thats helpful thanks! I did one last time but nothing went to plan so it just went out the window! Hopefully this time things will run a bit more smoothly!

Thank you :) That looks pretty similar to the kind of thing I want, but wasn't sure how I was meant to write it down. I guess I better write mine soon!

Although my LO still doesn't have a name :wall2:

xx

you dont need his name on there - people dont always know what they're having so.....

It's just a starting point really and when you start doing your own you'll think of other things that are important to you :)

I hadn't written one because I had a horrible feeling he was still breech but he's not anymore :yay: xx

im jealous katy!!! :D but happy for u xxx

:hug: At least you know when your LO will be here, that's what I kept telling myself when I was worrying about him being breech xx

Last edited:
silly q. but do you need a birth plan for c-section?? xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back