Muslin Squares

crackers24

Reaction score
I know this sounds dunce but what exactly are muslin squares used for? :?

crackers24 said:
I know this sounds dunce but what exactly are muslin squares used for? :?

lol, i dont know either and ive got 4 kiddies :oops:

somebody bought mesome as a present and i thought they were tea towels :oops: :oops:
my sis uses them during and after feeds to mop up any puke or to put over your shoulder when winding! i think thats what they are used for! xx

They are used for mopping up, they can go over your shoulder while winding or under babys head in the pram or crib or cot etc so if they are a bit sick it saves your sheets from having to be washed every 2 minutes, I have always used terry nappies but it would seem muslins are the 'thing' now!!

I got bought loads of them and I love them. I use them for cleaning up any sicks or mess etc and for putting down under her in case she's sick. i always carry one with me at all times.....invaluable.

Apaarently they're good as baby gets older too to offer as a confort blanket, mainly because you can swap it for a clean one while you put it in the wash and baby doesn't scream the place down because you've taken their favourite teddy off them but I'm not at that stage yet

they are really handy, as others have siad for saving your sheets, i just used to change it daily, esp if your baby is sicky, handy for feeding, bibs, sick blanket, comfort blanket, good to put on your changing mat so its not so cold. I use them for drying powder pots, toys etc when i wash them as i know they havent come into contact with anything. The large ones can be used to cover you up a bit if you are bf'ing. ooo and they are good for putting on their bouncers/swings etc just in case of sick...they save you a lot of washing and dry really quickly when washed.

Basically really handy things!

Hennaly - i use old terry's as well...in fact DH's 37 year old ones! he he

you know, im glad you posted that cos i was wondering the exact same thing, i ordered some yesterday because they seemed important :doh: so now i know :dance: :clap:

I love them! Use the for everything but mainly catching drool and sick.

I use them when he's in his highchair over his legs as our highchair doesn't have a try. We use them to put down before he sleeps during the day too and he likes to suck them :lol:

hmmmm it all makes sense now :cheer:

it seems as though u guys have convinced me to invest in some. they sound really handy and i'm sure i'll need all the help i can get. thanks a lot everyone for your replies :clap:

xxx

In addition to all the other uses above I also used them to swaddle my (summer) baby, use it as a sun shade draped over the pushchair, as a toy (peek-a-boo, the 'dancing muslin' over LO's face) they are the one thing I never leave the house without they are so handy. If you're buying them, get the biggest size you can find.

They are pretty handy! Ours are colour-coded :oops:

White ones I use when feeding LO - at the beginning I used them for breastfeeding, just had them between LO's chin and my boob so that a muslin would catch any leakages, now I use them to cover LO's legs when giving solid food as a bib doesn't cover them.

Yellow ones I use on her changing mat - particularly handy when having nappy-off time so that if there is an accident can quickly change to a new one. I don't like mixing feeding muslins with ones used for nappy changing.

Pink and patterned ones I use when going out - particularly handy when out with other babies as so many others will have muslins but there are often just white so that I can recognise which is ours.

I know some use them instead of bibs too. You can also use them as a cover in their pram so that the sun doesn't get to them (I use a blanket for this with pegs).

mine are used for everything!!!! sick, drool, moping up my spilt coffee :oops: :oops: , put on the changing mat so LO bum isn't too cold, i lie him on one when i put him in our bed for feeding incase he is sick. i always have them in every room for accidents!!
i can honestly say at the start i thought they would be useless but i use each and every one of the 20 that i have!!

Loads of uses posted above so I won't relist, but defo get some- they are brilliant an you can find some great deals on e bay(new not used) They are pretty expensive in some places considerig it's just a square of fabric.

p.s I ended up using one of ours when cooking the other day because I needed to fineley strain something- they have hundreds of uses.

I have them but I don't like them and use terries (bamboo) instead. They are much softer and absorbant. Jacob has reflux and sometimes the sick just rolls right down the muslins and splats on the floor (sorry about that). Also, even when he isn't *that* sick, I feel like the wetness just goes right through to me. Ick.

Anyway, you can also use them to boost cloth nappies, apparently. I never tried that, though!

i remember a thread a while back 25 uses for a muslin cloth and im sure we far exceeded it. they are invaluable.

luke won't go anywhere without his i still use them regularly now and he is 21months old!!

moss said:
I have them but I don't like them and use terries (bamboo) instead. They are much softer and absorbant. Jacob has reflux and sometimes the sick just rolls right down the muslins and splats on the floor (sorry about that). Also, even when he isn't *that* sick, I feel like the wetness just goes right through to me. Ick.

Anyway, you can also use them to boost cloth nappies, apparently. I never tried that, though!

Thinner muslins are crap but I've found ones from Ikea are the best. Thick and deal with anything

Bee said:
Thinner muslins are crap but I've found ones from Ikea are the best. Thick and deal with anything

Ohhhhhhh... just come back from Ikea :( I'm gonna try find some elsewhere now or maybe on the ikea website

crackers24 said:
Bee said:

Ohhhhhhh... just come back from Ikea :( I'm gonna try find some elsewhere now or maybe on the ikea website

I can reccommend these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0305812716

Best price Ive seen and they are the largest ones Ive found so far too, you can get coloured or white.

i would definately go for terrys over muslins any day :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back