swaddling blankets?

leckershell

Reaction score
I've read that it's good to have a swaddling blanket for baby to get to sleep in.. have any of you bought special blankets for this, or do you use other things to swaddle the baby in?

I've heard of muslin squares but don't know what size they are and if they do the same job, or if they are a bit thin??

Also none of the swaddling blankets have sizes on them so I can't even figure out whether they are square or triangle shaped... :think:

Only read it today and searching online doesn't seem to give me much help so... time to ask the forum :)

Thanks!
m

personally hun i wouldnt bother buying special blankets, just use any baby blanket and wrap the baby up tighly. there are intructions on how to swaddle if you type it into google, its really easy.
The only reason im saying this is because evie loved being swaddled for her first few weeks, but by about 3 weeks old she hated it and always wanted to have loads of space to kick about,so a swaddling blanket would have been a waste of money, where a normal blanket sufficed :D .

that's what I thought but just got a bit confused - I didn't even know there were swaddling blankets... :?

I would just use a normal blanket too, Arianna hated being wrapped up in them and I spent a fortune on blankets which ended up going to waste

I agree with Little*red... don't buy any one special as Keeley was exaclty the same as Evie after a few weeks she wanted to kick and if she could she would cry... they say its good for the first few weeks as it reminds them of bein in the womb where its soo cosy and tight
:hug:

I just used a cellular blanket so he wouldn't get too warm. But only for the first few weeks then he wanted to feel free.

Cx

We have tons of blankets and never used any of them!! Our house is very warm and I was always scared she would get too hot so we have always used muslin square sheets...mum got them for me and I have since bought loads more.

We triangle shape one, and swaddle her (we used to swaddle over her shoulders until around 6 weeks, then now we swaddle her under her arms so her legs are all tucked in. We then tuck another sheet folded in half over the top of her to pin her into cot (she rolls onto her tummy otherwise and we dont like her all night on her tum..)

Try this link for big muslin sheets, they are fantstic, wash well, dry quick and are one of the best things ever bought for us...

http://www.bigmuz.com/

Dylan only likes bee swaddled after a bath so i use his towel..maybe because he was just in a nappy or his first few days he doesn't like clothes either mind but make him wear them :rotfl:

yeh i would just use a normal cellular blanket. i have bought one and a small fleece blanket for the pram. i found reana loved being swaddled for first few weeks until she became more active and i think the trick is to do it straight from birth, the mw showed me how to do it on the ward. some babies like it others dont so this time i have bought one of the sleeping bags also just incase she doesnt like be swaddled.

xxxxx

Ive bought one and not used it as Imogen seems to like being able to kick her blankets off!

I have not used it and bought it brand new from mothercare, you are more then welcome to have it michelle when i find it cos i wont use it now.

Very good advice as your LO may grow out of wanting to be swaddled, Isaac loves to be held close and firmly but he would go crazy if swaddled :shock:

We swaddled Tom for five months! He loved it. He had strong startle reflex so it helped with that.
We used the sheet that he was wrapped in at the hospital ... I pinched it! :oops:
I also bought one from Mothercare which was BRILLIANT...
http://www.miracleblanket.com/
Personally, if you are going to buy one, I would avoid buying the stretchy t-shirt material ones as they just fight their way out of them too easily.

i also took the hospital one lol but i bought another one in white but you know whats weird. the hospital one that she was first wrapped in she still sleeps with and she is 4 yrs. she loves smelling it and wrapping it around her hand when she sleeps. :) i have to wash and dry it quick without her noticing or she goes mad.

xxxxx

p.s. leckershell i had a dream that you had a baby girl last nite, how weird.

We swaddled our little man till we couldn't find a blanket bit enough. He's 3 now and he wraps himself in a fleece under his duvet.
We don't have central heating although he has a heater in his bedroom.

We always though it made him feel more secure, he's always slept all night and went to his cot awake, falling asleep himself.
Probs its different for every baby, hope it works for this one :pray:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back