Moses baskets!!

nats

Reaction score
I just have a query for all you mothers to be, at the weekend i went out and purchased a moses basket (trying to get bits and pieces bought gradually!) as it's been recommended you baby sleeps in your room for the first 6months, i thought this would be ideal as it is quite compact and can be easily moved around. One of my work collegues told me this morning that they would not advise moses baskets as they increase the risk of cot death, i am now extremely worried, this is new to me, i thought they were perfectly safe, i contacted the shop i bought it from and they said they sell lots, all conforming to standards and if they were not safe they would not be allowed to sell them. I am now in serious doubt as to whether or not i should buy a crib instead, has anyone heard or do they know about any dangers of using moses baskets in the first few months??
I would greatly appreciate any of your comments or advice to help put my mind at rest.
Oh, also has anyone else been buying bits and bobs so soon, i just cant seem to resist!!
Thanks
Natalie xxxxxxx

I have not heard any dangers of using moses baskets. Jamie is still in his and he is nearly 3 months old! Although hes getting to big now so will be going into his cot in a few days time!!
All of my freinds family etc have used them with no dangerous side effects! I really wouldnt worry about it, moses baskets are very popular for babies to sleep in for the first few months!

I've never heard this either hun. There are lots of scare stories out there and it is hard to know which is true and which isn't.

I'm not going to use one purely because we have a crib in our room, and a cot in his room so we don't need it. If we have the crib already leant to us I'd get one as I think they area brilliant idea and much cheaper than a crib.

I've never heard about this either.

I have opted to put Bubble straight into a cot (in my room) and we have brought a travel cot with Bassinet for downstairs. The only reason that I didn't buy a Moses Basket was because we have a dog so I didn't want baby at floor level and I was worried that if we got a stand the dog would jump up and knock it over.
I think Moses Baskets are only designed to last your baby up until it's about 3mths though honey :D

hi ive not heard anything hun and moses baskets are very popular so i shouldnt think that was right :? i was going to buy one but chose a crib instead as my friends baby was only in basket for 3 months yet a crib can last up till 5/6 months which means i wont have to have cot in my room can put baby in its own room at around 5/6 months :D xxxx

thanks so much for all your comments, you have really helped put my mind at ease. I think it's the same with everything during pregnancy, someone always has a horror story to tell when it comes to anything you plan to do or use! Judging by the size of me now, 16wks 5days, baby will probably only be in the moses basket for a couple of months, i'm huuuuge! Think he/she is gonna be a big ten pounder!
Find out the sex on 19th Dec, can't wait, so excited, just hope baby is not lying crossed leg!
Natalie xxxxxxxxx

I've not heard that either. In fact everyone I have spoken to that has had a baby has used one and recommended them. The only reason we are having a crib instead is because both me and OH are over 6 foot and thought it would make more financial sense to have a crib that would last longer. Hope all goes wll on 19th Dec and baby co-operates and doesn't come over all shy.

Hi Nat,

We have decided to have a cot beside the bed and move it into the nursery when he/she goes into their own room.

I have also noticed that you are due the same day as me 5th May 2006 me I have my next scan on the 22-12-05 but we dont want to find out the sex unless the sonograth says by mistake :lol:

Sarah x

Is it just me or has everyone noticed that there is always atleast one other person who comes along with a horror story or negative rumour in regards to anything invilving the word baby!!! lol

I mean one minute its good for you and the next its gonna end all of existance. My opinion is if it wasnt safe they wouldnt be allowed to sell them or you would have 24 hour surveillance if it was really that bad!

I say if it works for you and the baby, go for it!

All the best!

V x

Moses baskets are as safe as anything else hun......nobody knows what causes cot death but im willing to bet it isnt moses baskets!
Im not using one but only because the pram i have is also a carrycot so lil Ash will b sleeping in there to start......but my 6 week old niece is happy sleeping in her moses basket every night!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back