money worries :(

sarafet

Reaction score
hi guys.

a few questions.

i am a student but have taken a year out to get things sorted, moving house etc. it means that i don't get my bursary though (£500 a month,) and we're basically living off my oh's wages.

i'm going to try to get a full time job, (i'm only about 6/7 weeks just now,) but i'm wondering if i just start working with an employer while pregnant if i'd be entitled to maternity pay or anything? i'm worrying that we're going to struggle with money.

i've checked an we don't seem to be entitled to any benefits :(

thanks

sarah xxx

You won't be entitled to maternity pay from your employer if you get a job now as you need to have been working there since before you were pregnant to qualify. However you can apply for Maternity Allowance as long as you have been employed in at least 26 out of the 66 weeks before your baby is due (it doesn't have to be the same employer either). Your midwife will most likely give you a booklet with this info in it at your first appointment. You will get child benefits and probably qualify for tax credits too.
hope this helps :)

There's not much difference between SMP from an employer and Maternity Allowance from the government. The only big difference is maternity allowance doesn't give you the first 6 weeks at 90% of your normal wage.
With maternity allowance your employer still has to offer you your old job back at the end of maternity leave

When you've had your baby then you'll be eligible for child benefits (which every mother gets) and depending on what you and your OH earn possibly child tax credits and or working tax credits. If you're eligible for these you might also be eligible for a £500 one off payment to help with costs related to having a new baby in the house. Obviously I can't say for sure not knowing what your joint income is and your exact situation but it is worth looking into it and getting some advice as actually we missed out on claiming some money early on as we did qualify for child tax and working tax allowances and you also get things like free milk for the baby which I didn't know about until it was too late.

+++

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back