Benefits

AngelCookie23

Reaction score
I'm so confused about what benefits I will be entitled to and when to apply!

My situation is, I'm 22 weeks pregnant and going to be a single mum living at home with my parents. I'm currently on Job Seekers but I sign off at 29 weeks to go onto Income support? I've never had a job before. I feel so bad going onto benefits but otherwise I'd have no way to support this child :(

Is there anything else I'd be entitled to?

Thank you!

Also what would the father have to pay for his child?

Last edited:
you will get child benefit and child tax credits the babies dad can be forced to pay through csa, you can also clain for the sure start maternity grant when you reach 29 weeks and this is a 1 off payment of £500 you will also get milk tokens hope this helps

Thanks Midnight, does the ammount of child tax credits I get depend on my parents earnings because I'm living with them?

Also I thought they stopped the £500 grant?

They've stopped the 190 grant but the 500 grant is available if it's ur 1st child. If u claim csa then theyl take so much out of ur income support (rubbish I know) csa will make the father pay 15% of his wage if he doesn't have any other dependants x

Thank you Emmamb! I hope I can get the £500, it would really help towards baby!

they dont take csa out of income support now
i dont think it goes off your oarents earnings because u are responsible for yourself

Can I apply for tax credits if I'm on maternity leave getting SMP through my employer? I thought I could only get them if I was working?

Can I apply for tax credits if I'm on maternity leave getting SMP through my employer? I thought I could only get them if I was working?

I'm getting child tax credits, I think as long as you jointly earn less than 55k ish you get something. They take it on last years earnings. I get £21 a week. Whoop lol

Yeah you can get them on mat leave! You don't get alot though but every penny helps!!

Wow didn't realise this. Is that 55k before SMP (so what I was earning before) or OH wage + SMP? x

Wow didn't realise this. Is that 55k before SMP (so what I was earning before) or OH wage + SMP? x

55k is our joint income, I can't remember the exact figure that is the cut off. It's what you earnt last year 09/10. In April this year we may get more cos of Smp 10/11 tax year. Ring up for a form just in case. They don't even need proof if income!!

I haven't a clue how they work it out! We've got a joint annual income of 35k and I only get £20 a week and that's for both kids! You earn more Emma but get more tax credits! It's so confussing!

I haven't a clue how they work it out! We've got a joint annual income of 35k and I only get £20 a week and that's for both kids! You earn more Emma but get more tax credits! It's so confussing!

is that 20 pound including child tax credits? if so thats crap

That is tax credits then I get £33 a week child benefit. For both kids I get £53 a week tax credits and child benefits! It's rubbish!

that does not sound like enough to me especially if you get some tax credits if you earn 55k

i phoned them today, il get £21 per week and our household incomes 34k, but he did say that it will go up from april this yr cos were on mat leave,

he told me i needed to put the exact figures on frm p60s n ive noooooo idea where they are, yeh i kno i should keep them safe, but last yr hubby had 3 jobs all through the same employer n 3 p60's iv gota find, pfft!!

i think u get more i your kiddys under 1yrs old too, and then it increases again when/ if u pay for childcare,

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back