Mobile epidural?

Urchin

Reaction score
I've heard of these has anyone ever had one?
I take it not all hospitals offer it?

I always hear about them to, but yet to find some one thats had one :wall:

i know my hospital doesnt have it because i asked, the only place i have seen it on portland hospital, maybe its just private

I'vea heard about these and they mentioned them in antenatel classes but can't remember what difference was or anything. I take it they must have offered them at hospital to mention them? :think:

I am hoping to have a mobile epidural, but not sure how it will feel in reality. Pretty difficult to walk when you can't feel your legs, and may be pretty scary as well. Also increased risk of falling over :( We'll see ... will let you know what it's like in a week or so :D

Don't know the difference or anything about them but I had an epidural when I was having my 1st and I was up and walking around, I even walked down to the cafe in the hospital :think:

i asked about one but y hospital didn't offer them. Like someone else said the only place I have seem them is at the portland hospital on Portland Babies.

They do them at the hospital where I am going to give birth which isn't a private hospital. Am hoping to give birth with as little pain relief as I can but when it comes down to it will probably be begging for the epidural as I'm a wimp :D If I try the mobile epidural I will let you all know what its like. xxxxx

I heard about them. The difference between mobile epidural and normal one, is that with the mobile u supposedly can feel legs and can walk and go to the loo. You just dont feel the contraction pain. But it might be less effective than the normal :wink:

Oooo I had one... but I had Tia at the old Greenwich District hospital before it closed down. At the time it had one of the best midwife led labour wards in the country..

I had the epidural through a drip direct into my spine, they leave a canular (drip needle) in though, but you can't feel it if you lie on your back... It never needed topping up, they just replaced the bag when it ran out.. Also I could feel all my contractions, they just didn't hurt. I could also feel the pressure which I think helped me push Tia out so quick... Its because the drip can be controlled depending on how you feel the contractions... and as everyone feels pain individually it makes it easier to regulate. I never got up and walked around though.... so I am not sure that you can do that :think:

The only problem with it is that if you lie to one side (which I did :roll: ) the anaesthetic tends to spread on one side and you get one sided contractions.... So the anaesthetist had to come back, pull the canular out my back a bit and push it back in... didn't hurt at all... but having one sided contractions isn't a lot of fun. :roll:

Whether Greenwich (well Woolwich now) still does this I don't know, I just know that they don't do it here in Spain.... :roll:

Squiglet said:
Oooo I had one... but I had Tia at the old Greenwich District hospital before it closed down. At the time it had one of the best midwife led labour wards in the country..

I had the epidural through a drip direct into my spine, they leave a canular (drip needle) in though, but you can't feel it if you lie on your back... It never needed topping up, they just replaced the bag when it ran out.. Also I could feel all my contractions, they just didn't hurt. I could also feel the pressure which I think helped me push Tia out so quick... Its because the drip can be controlled depending on how you feel the contractions... and as everyone feels pain individually it makes it easier to regulate. I never got up and walked around though.... so I am not sure that you can do that :think:

The only problem with it is that if you lie to one side (which I did :roll: ) the anaesthetic tends to spread on one side and you get one sided contractions.... So the anaesthetist had to come back, pull the canular out my back a bit and push it back in... didn't hurt at all... but having one sided contractions isn't a lot of fun. :roll:

Whether Greenwich (well Woolwich now) still does this I don't know, I just know that they don't do it here in Spain.... :roll:

Thats what happened to me except I was left with a quarter of my belly untouched and feeling everything and I tried to walk to the loo but couldn't and I also tried to wee in a bed pan but couldn't so I had to have a catheter (sp?).

I eventually had a total block because I had an assisted delivery but up till then I could feel contractions and my legs.

I'd recommend it 100%!!! Its like all the fun of giving birth without the pain!!!

:)

I had to have a catheter fitted too now I come to think about it... they tried to get me to pee in a bed pan and I couldn't... so in went the tube... not that it's problem... it doesn't hurt much... more stings... :think:

I went on to have a spinal block too after, but that was because I had a retained placenta and started to haemorrhage, so they rushed me up to theatre... It was a good think I had the epi in too.. because all they did was call the anaesthetist back down and he just put in a big dollop of the pain med without having to re do the epi at the back, saved a load of time... :)

Squiglet said:
I had to have a catheter fitted too now I come to think about it... they tried to get me to pee in a bed pan and I couldn't... so in went the tube... not that it's problem... it doesn't hurt much... more stings... :think:

I went on to have a spinal block too after, but that was because I had a retained placenta and started to haemorrhage, so they rushed me up to theatre... It was a good think I had the epi in too.. because all they did was call the anaesthetist back down and he just put in a big dollop of the pain med without having to re do the epi at the back, saved a load of time... :)

Yeah me too. I didnt feel the catheter atall, I had gas and air :cheer:

my hospital doesnt offer these cos i would jump at the chance :(

i was thinking about one of these and when i asked was basically treated like id asked for the impossible and was just told its not possible... maybe ask your mw and see if its available in your area

I can't see why its not available everywhere? All it is is a different mix of drugs so its only an ordinary epidural with something added (to put it very unscientifically) lol

I actually spoke to the anaesthetic dept weeks before I had Isaac because I have spina bifida occulta and I had to have my epidural located higher than normal. Why not bypass the midwife and speak direct to the anaestheic dept and ask them if its available?

I would :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back