Mobile Epidural v's Epidural ---- Copied from Ask a Mum.....

SuziQ

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone had a 'mobile' epidural.
I am sorting (trying too..) out my birth plan, and recently went for a tour around my local hospital.. and was interested in a mobile epi, over a normal epi.. IF I should decide to have one.... But this hospital doesn't offer the mobile one.
I was just wondering if the mobile ones are so much better, or if you had an epi, was it the normal one?

Just a bit of info on each would be great please.
I am not intending to have an epi.. but want one avavilbe, should I want/ need one.

Thanks
xx

I plan to have a mobile epidural as it takes away the pain of the contractions but still allows you to move and having feeling in your lower body. I don't know how many hospitals offer the mobile epi as I have mentioned it on here before and it doesn't seem that many people have experienced it. It seems my Dr. has implied that at the hosp I am at they only switch to the normal/non-mobile epidural for a cesarean. I think mob epi's are fairly new still so not readily available everywhere. For me the benefits of a mobile epi far outweigh those of the normal epi.

I know my hospital doesn't offer mobile epi's, I'm hoping I too can cope without an epi as apart from the obvious concerns about the needle etc, I don't like the thought of being hooked up to several machines (blood pressure, catheter etc) and not being able to move about.

It's my understanding that even with a mobile epi your movement can still be very limited, at best you can move from the bed to the chair or manage to go to the toilet with help, but I don't think you can literally be pacing the corridor or changing from one position to another.

Sorry probably not been much help, just thought I'd share my thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back