• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mirena Coil ?

KellyHook

Reaction score
Im thinking of having this, ive got swabs on monday just in case i decided to have it..

Any ladies got it, any good?, side affects?, periods?, weight gain!!

please any info would be great!

xx

Ok when I had the coil I put on weight! They then lost it - and I had to be put under genral anaethestic to have it removed!! I would avoid! xxxx

ok here goes...

put on masses of weight
continuous bleeding
headaches
depression
Thrush
Cystitis
Bacterial Vaginosis

I called the Family Planning clinic where i got it put in to remove it they refused unless it was life threatening... my response was "if I come to your clinic and slit my wrists on your steps is that life threatening enough for you" and I wasnt exaggerating, I felt properly suicidal. They removed it. Within days I was fine.

The problem was I have a sensitivity to progesterone and had reactions to the pill in mild form nothing as bad as the coil.

My sister swore by her's and had no problem at all. If you react to the contraceptive pill Id steer well clear

I'm on my second coil, the first I had in 2007, had no problems what so ever, no weight gain, no periods, everything fine, had it out in 2009 as wanted ttc! The 2nd one I had put in when LO was about 12 weeks old and I've completely lost my sex drive, always feel bloated and fat but I think that's due to baby weight I haven't lost, I tried getting it removed about 2 months ago and they couldn't so been referred to hospital and I've had none stop bleeding since they tried to remove it, I think it all depends on the person, it could be ok for you like it was for me the 1st time round!

I've been thinking of getting this after birth. So dont have any advice just wanted to see what others were saying and OMG I didn't realise it had as many side effects.

How come it causes weight gain, I thought it didn't release any hormones or anything

:shock:

Not got the coil but I've just had the implant put in my arm, pretty easy going in and can be removed at any time and lasts up to 3 years :). I know couple of people who have it as well. No side affects so far *twitch* kidding :), so I'll see how it goes x

well i booked my appointment for my swabs ready to have coil inserted before i posted this thread....

i Cancelled it..lol you've put me off! :)

i've now booked my appointment to have my implant put back in, i've had 2 before, know how it works, havent had any problems with it before, only some weight gain!!

Cant wait for it to go in so i can jump OH :) xx

I was going to have the coil but have now been put off! Although like littlemiss said, I don't understand the weight gain thing if it doesn't release hormones?

I was going to have the coil but have now been put off! Although like littlemiss said, I don't understand the weight gain thing if it doesn't release hormones?

Nurse at doctors surgery told me that i shouldnt get weight gain either with the coil, but then a few people did gain weight!!

so i decided if i start putting on to much weight with the implant im going to have it removed and then try the coil... having the implant put in monday, sounds stupid but i really cant wait (not having it fitted) but just having piece of mind knowing i wont get pregnant :)

Yeah myt doc said there shouldnt be any weight gain .. hmm now im not sure at all

I'm gonna do some research into it when I get time, I'm sure being on the pill for so many years contributed to my weight gain. Plus your chances of cancer increase when on it & i've been on it since I was 15 apart from my pregnancies. Defo wana consider the coil or something that doesn't release hormones.

:roll:

I *think* there are two types of coil, some are the old-fashioned copper ones that don't have any hormones and some have hormones in that are released into the body. Really not sure if that's true though, I may have made that up. Would be great if someone knows!

My GP wants me to use the coil but I keep hearing about long term bleeding and pain and it keeps on puting me off. Implant has not been mentioned though? Sorry to be dim but what is it and how does it work?

Well I had mirena coil and it worked a dream. No weight gain, no periods. Fab!! Took 2 attempts to remove but done by gp. I cant wait to get mine again. Hate condoms.....

Please do lots of research before having the Mirena Coil fitted. I have this coil at the moment for heavy periods and yes it has stopped the bleeding, but I have gained nearly 4 stone in weight on a Diabetics high fibre healthy diet and exercise...I now eat like a bird. I also have heart palpatations which i also put down to the coil. I've read a lot of horror stories about this coil and if the information had been available at the time i would not have had it fitted. The Gyne said it isnt down to the coild but my diabetes Ive been diabetic for 20 years and only had weight issues since it was fitted...as now i come to realise. It isn't for me, do the research and for some people it may be ideal.

mine was perfect no side effects,plus it only took about 5seconds to get it removed...i suppose everyones different..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back