Midwife appointments

Moomum

Reaction score
At what stages of pregnancy should I be getting midwife appointments?

I've had a booking appointment at 9 weeks, but haven't seen her since. I have had a scan and an amnio at hospital, but should I be checked over by my midwife yet?

I'm anxious to get this sorted as I've been under massive amounts of stress this last few days as I found my Dad in bed on saturday after he'd suffered a stroke and had to get the ambulance etc etc :cry: He's in hospital now in a terrible state and I'm not sleeping or eating very well.

I just want reassurance that everything is OK.

What a terrible time you've had. It must have been such a shock, finding your dad like that and now, you're going to be worried about him until he recovers. I hope that you've got other family members you can lean on? Remember that it's okay to acknowledge the huge shock you've just had - facing losing a parent is one of the most traumatic experiences we can go through, so allow yourself to have a good cry about it (even if your dad is now safe).

It's understandable that you're turning from worrying about your dad to worrying about your baby and you'll probably have read somewhere that stress can have an affect on your baby? but that's usually ongoing stress. I realise that you'll continue to worry about your dad for now, but try also to be kind to yourself: do things that you enjoy, or just tkae time to chill out with e.g. a long soak in the bath, or reading your favourite magazine, talk to friends and family about how you're feeling etc.

As for your m/w appointments - it sounds as though you have already had more than we do in this area. I am 22 weeks by my ticker (have been told almost 23 weeks by my latest scan) and I've only seen my m/w twice! The booking appointment was at 13 weeks and I saw her again about 18 weeks. I've then to see her at 24 and 28 weeks. It's only after you get to 28 weeks that they start to monitor you closely here, because that's when the baby is considered more "viable".

If you're worried, you can ring your surgery/clinic/wherever your m/w is based and ask to speak to her about your concerns and ask if she can listen to the heartbeat in order to reassure you. If you can't reach her, or if she is unhelpful, 'phone the hospital you are booked into and ask to speak with a m/w there.

I hope your dad improves soon and that you can start to enjoy your pregnancy again. I'm thinking about you.

Love,
Wendy
xxx

I had one at 8 weeks, then didnt have another until 16 weeks. But my midwife said if I had any problems to go in sooner xxx

WendyWandy said:
What a terrible time you've had. It must have been such a shock, finding your dad like that and now, you're going to be worried about him until he recovers. I hope that you've got other family members you can lean on? Remember that it's okay to acknowledge the huge shock you've just had - facing losing a parent is one of the most traumatic experiences we can go through, so allow yourself to have a good cry about it (even if your dad is now safe).

It's understandable that you're turning from worrying about your dad to worrying about your baby and you'll probably have read somewhere that stress can have an affect on your baby? but that's usually ongoing stress. I realise that you'll continue to worry about your dad for now, but try also to be kind to yourself: do things that you enjoy, or just tkae time to chill out with e.g. a long soak in the bath, or reading your favourite magazine, talk to friends and family about how you're feeling etc.

As for your m/w appointments - it sounds as though you have already had more than we do in this area. I am 22 weeks by my ticker (have been told almost 23 weeks by my latest scan) and I've only seen my m/w twice! The booking appointment was at 13 weeks and I saw her again about 18 weeks. I've then to see her at 24 and 28 weeks. It's only after you get to 28 weeks that they start to monitor you closely here, because that's when the baby is considered more "viable".

If you're worried, you can ring your surgery/clinic/wherever your m/w is based and ask to speak to her about your concerns and ask if she can listen to the heartbeat in order to reassure you. If you can't reach her, or if she is unhelpful, 'phone the hospital you are booked into and ask to speak with a m/w there.

I hope your dad improves soon and that you can start to enjoy your pregnancy again. I'm thinking about you.

Love,
Wendy
xxx

What a lovely thoughtful post. Thankyou so much. :hug:

Hi Moomum,

Firstly may I say how sorry I am you have had to cope with such a traumatic event that has caused you probably the most worry you will ever experience. I hope yor father receives the best possible care and recovers quickly.

I'm in Yorkshire and it really does vary nationally.
I saw my midwife at the surgery at 8wks really just to go through everything.
I had a scan at 12 weeks and saw another midwife at the hospital who did the full booking in apt stuff with bloods etc.
I saw midwife at surgery again at 16 weeks for urine sample, bp, etc but no bloods.
I'm due to see hospital midwife after 20 week scan.
Due to see surgery midwife at 28 weeks, 32 weeks, then its fortnightly.

I'm sure your baby is fine. Even thought you have been very worried, your baby will be very resiliant. (sp?)

Maybe phone your surgery and ask a midwife to call you back. In my experience the receptionists won't really know what's what.

Look after yourself and try not to worry!

:hug: :hug:

Ladybird xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back