Matthew Arthur John Gerring

daddychris

Reaction score
Matthew Arthur John
6th January 2009
@ 00:48
3.4kg 7 1/2lbs

Birth from a Dad's point of view.
LO was due on 8th and we had waited all over Christmas. For some reason we had both thought he would be nearer to Christmas, we shifts of grandparents ready for our other LO Charlotte.
OH woke on Monday5th saying for me to keep my phone near me at all times, as some niggling pains started, but to go into work (had hoped that I would have started paternity leave by then). Got a text at 11.30am saying they had stopped, but then another 15mins later saying they had started again.
Got home from work about 4.30pm, and everything seemed much the same. Sorted Charlotte into bed and OH had a bath, which seemed to slow the pains down a bit. OH had made the dinner (to keep herself busy), sausage and bacon casserole, it was really nice, the pains had been getting stronger but she wanted to have the dinner, as she said it may not come for ages so it was worth having something to eat. After dinner the (just as coronation street was starting) pains were approx 8 mins apart and getting stronger. We phoned the hospital and they to come in to get checked over. (She had stayed to have her dinner, knowing Andrea I wasn't letting her stay to watch coronation street!!! :lol: :lol: )
The weather was really icy weather forecast was about -4c, so we didn't want to have a wasted 30 minute journey.
We got to the hospital and were met by a student who told us we had arrived with 7 other mums due (they didn't want to risk the weather either. She put OH on a monitor for "about 15 mins to get a baseline trace". Apparently after this there was an emergency on the delivery ward and an unexpected birth, so the 15 minute trace lasted nearly 2 hours, and only then did we see a midwife, the student was very good I must say though.
They assessed Andrea and said that she was 3cms, and she could have been 3cms for some time (policy for the delivery ward is over 4cms) they gave Andrea a sweep and said it could be up to about 3-4 in the morning before anything would happen. Over this time the contractions were regular and getting stronger about 8-10 minutes in between.
They said Andrea could go to the antenatal ward for some rest (as if!!!!! :roll: ) and I could go home for some rest. Andrea didn't want me to drive home or leave her, I didn't want to leave her, but I'm not allowed to stay on the antenatal ward apparently. They offered me the waiting area of the delivery ward whilst Andrea "got some rest!!!!!", still that was not what me or Andrea wanted. I didn't want to leave Andrea when she obviously needed me, so I thought I would stay with her as long as I could.
We went to the antenatal ward and Andrea was offered to have a bath, which is separate from the ward, so they said I could stay with her :)
The pains were now about every 5-7 minutes and becoming hard for Andrea. She had asked for gas and air and was told 1) they didn't have it on antenatal and 2) it would exhaust her!!!! (didn't understand that!!!)
We got to the bathroom, incidentally exactly the same bathroom we sat in for charlotte's birth, and it hadn't changed much!!
I sorted through our provisions that we had taken with us, and started reading to Andrea to try to take her mind off the time between contractions.
At about midnight, the contractions started coming quicker and stronger about 2 minutes apart, she was beginning to move around the bath a lot more with the pains also. It was about this time that Andrea told me she thought her waters had gone. At about 12.20am the midwife knocked on the door to see if we were ok, as she could hear the contractions, she offered Andrea a reassessment. It took Andrea some time to have this done as the contractions were coming very quickly. She said Andrea was 5-6cms, and we could go back to the delivery ward. They offered her a wheelchair, but still the contractions were so close.
We went back to the delivery ward about 00.35am, Andrea had previously said she wanted to labour in the pool, and if possible birth in the pool, but I think they had forgotten to fill the pool, which takes 20 mins. As the midwives were getting things ready Andrea was at last on the gas and air which she had asked for about 11pm (she was instead offered paracetamol :roll: ). When the contractions were coming now, she was pulling down on me as we were standing, and I could tell she was trying to push. She then said that something had come out, had she had a poo! I looked and saw something (not a babies head thank god) but I think it must have been part of the amniotic sac or something. Andrea asked for me to get some tissues, I wanted a midwife instead. When they came back, Andrea was told to get into the pool, and turn so she could put her legs on the side to brace herself. The next thing I knew, there were three midwives and a student and telling Andrea to feel for babies head. On the next contraction which was so much more relaxed now with gas and air and in the pool, I could see babies head. They told Andrea just to breathe and on next contraction she pushed him out. It was so relaxed and lovely. Out he came and quickly put onto Andrea tummy in the warm water. He only cried for a short time when he was out of the water. Apparently only a few of the midwives had seen a waterbirth which was why we had most of the department with us. Even the student said that she was overcome by how easy it appeared.
Andrea’s notes have been described as second stage labour as three minutes.
Such a good job that I hadn't gone home; even in the waiting area I may have still missed it. After as Andrea passed the placenta I was able to have some skin to skin time with our new baby :hug: . Andrea was so good, I was so proud of her and our little son. Magic :hug:
Andrea and Matthew came home that day after a little rest (Andrea couldn't sleep this time in hospital either). I think being at home with me and having charlotte back around her is the best for her.
Hopefully charlotte and Matthew will get on famously, although we are not too sure charlotte is aware of her own strength as we have to tell her to be gentle with him, but she is very interested in him, and seems to become slightly upset when she hears him crying, which he only does when he has his nappy changed or when he has his leg uncovered. I'm sure he will grow into his feet at some point in his life.
Hope the following photos come out of the new addition to our family.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34198102@N05/3194002739/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34198102@N05/3194007741/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34198102@N05/3194007547/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34198102@N05/3194007635/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34198102@N05/3194849850/

Congratulations he is so lovely, i dont think iv ever read a birth experiance from a dad point of view. It was lovely to read.

awwwwwwwwww he is gorgeous!!!

really glad to hear about how well the water birth went, its something im thinking about!

He is so cute!

Loved reading a story from father's point of view.

Congratulations on your beautiful little boy! :cheer:

awww hes lovely hun and well done to your OH. Was great to read it from a males point of view :)

Aww congratulations! He is gorgeous!! :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back