Maternity Leave

xx emma xx

Reaction score
When are you all planning to start maternity leave? Like how many weeks before due date? I am being made redundant 6 weeks before due date but i hate my work so much that i was crying on my lunch hour today so im thinking about 8 weeks before due date and ill have 1 weeks holiday to take too. Then next year i will have to look for another job :( x

My maternity leave is starting on 23rd May, but i have to take all my holiday for this year (25 days) before I finish, so I am having holiday from 21st April to when my maternity leave starts. Still have 8 days to take before I finish in April. It can't come quick enough now, am not motivated at all.

Sorry to hear you're upset over work, I know it's easier said than done but try not to let it get to you too much. You'll find a much better job that makes you happy next year. xxx

im finishing up last week in May.

Fingers x u find a better job then hun nothing worse than hating ur work x

Oh Emma, Im in exactly the same situation, Ill be made redundant 2 wks before I shouldve gone on maternity leave.
Are your employer still paying you?x

I'm a student so only go in 2 days a week anyway, my Easter hols start on 8th April and I'm due to go back on 4th May but the last term is usually always revision sessions and my tutor has said I can do what I feel I'm up to in the last term.

If I was working at my old job...I'd be leaving as soon as I was allowed!

still paying you redundancy i mean x

You can go at 29 weeks (11 weeks before EWC) and remember you will be entitled to all the holiday you will accrue for the holiday year, even if you are not there.
I am planning on going at 29 weeks (I hate my job too!), taking 4 weeks hols, then starting Mat Pay about 6 weeks before baby is due x

I think ill still get paid. Looked at maternity details in my work policy and basically they just give me the lump sum of what I would have been paid in my last wage. I have applied to other departments for jobs so I have a job to go back to and have now been unsuccessful in 2 interviews. They are not saying its pregnancy related just coming up with another excuse. I think there just not giving me the job cos my mat leave would start just after training. The lady asked how long I was planning to take off. I am so tempted to take it from start of march but then it leaves me with less time with baby. Feel like I'm in such a crap situation. X

I think ill still get paid. Looked at maternity details in my work policy and basically they just give me the lump sum of what I would have been paid in my last wage. I have applied to other departments for jobs so I have a job to go back to and have now been unsuccessful in 2 interviews. They are not saying its pregnancy related just coming up with another excuse. I think there just not giving me the job cos my mat leave would start just after training. The lady asked how long I was planning to take off. I am so tempted to take it from start of march but then it leaves me with less time with baby. Feel like I'm in such a crap situation. X

They can't ask you that! It's illegal! You don't have to make any decision until 8 weeks before you potentially want to return, you are legally entitled to 52 weeks leave. If you think they aren't giving the jobs because you're pregnant, sue them. It won't cost you a penny and I bet they settle, especially with the above as your evidence x

How do I prove though that's the reason they haven't given me the job? My dad and oh said the same thing that I'm to say to them that I think its cos I'm pregnant and try and sue them. My oh works in same place and everyone he has heard of getting interviews has been successful apart from me. She also said that if I was successful they might just not start me until after my mat leave. I just feel as if they were focussing on my pregnancy a bit more than what they should have been. I have confrontation but think I'm going to have to x

I'm planning to hold out until 38 weeks so I can have more time off after. Of course, how I feel when I'm house sized is still to be seen, but that will work out really perfect with all the Bank Holidays around Easter.

You don't have to prove anything, the law means THEY have to prove that they didn't give you the job because of your pregnancy - does that make sense? The law is a funny thing... The onus is on them, not you.
Your evidence would be that they focused too heavily on your pregnancy during the interview and because of this you have no choice but to believe it was ultimately down to this, that meant you weren't successful. You could also say that several other people have applied and all been successful and you are the only pregnant person and you've been for two roles and haven't got either.
You would definitely have a case for sex discrimination. x

I'm going to phone my H R department tomorrow about it as the more I think about it the more it does sound like discrimination and its making me really angry. Thanks so much, that has helped a lot. They are a very large financial and insurance company so hopefully they will back down to save there reputation xx

I left my job just after I got pregnant. Hated it :( have decided I'm going to do an OU course when baby turns one.
X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I so wish I could just quit but can't afford it. My oh is being made redundant at same time as me. He has a job to go to a month later which is good but I worry so much about money. Think ill stop quite early, I suffer from anxiety and don't want my stress to affect the baby. X

im finishing on 23rd may but have to take holiday 1st so last day is 12th april. xxx

Emma if you are on mat leave when your redundancy date comes up they HAVE to redeploy you as a priority over everyone else, so take mat leave early, its the law.Like I said im in the same sitch...x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waqas432
Back