Massage in tri 1

leesey

Reaction score
I've had a spa treatment booked for a couple of months for this Friday after getting a good KGB deal on a full body massage and indian head massage.

Now I know the head massage will be fine, and I'm definitely looking forward to that! But I'm a bit bummed now that I won't be able to have my well-deserved full body massage :(

I've just phoned the spa to ask if there's something I can get instead, perhaps just a neck and shoulders massage, but I get that as part of the head massage anyway!

The voucher expires on Friday so it's the last day I can use it, and I want to make the most of it as a nice wee relaxing treat.

Does anyone know anything about other massages (legs or something, I don't know!!!) or reiki (???) or something that might be suitable as an alternative?

I just don't want to risk lying on my tummy and putting pressure on bubs, and can't have any oils used at all, so it just seems a bit of a let down. I know there's evidence that massage is fine during first trimester, but I'm just not willing to risk it with my miscarriage history, I could never forgive myself for the sake of one hour of relaxation.

Any ideas? The massage therapist is not a prenatal/maternity massage therapist as far as I'm aware as they don't offer pregnancy massages as a matter of course.

Last edited:
How about some reflexology on your feet or something? Or if they also do beauty treatments a pedicure? xxx

I have really tickly feet, I'd probably end up kicking her in the face!!!

I'm wondering if she'll do one of these clothes on, sitting up massages that they do at the beauty counters in debenhams and the like? I wonder if that's safe enough??

I was gona say reflexology or a foot massage. Defo will do u good!! X

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Or u could also get an arm and leg massage, they do that while lying on ur back x

Or u could also get an arm and leg massage, they do that while lying on ur back x

That's what I'm thinking yeah, that would be nice.

Does anyone know anything about the supposed negative effects of massages?? Stupidly googled it of course and stuff came up about because it boosts your blood flow and immune system it can cause baby harm? Sounds like nonsense to me, as surely happy mummy makes happy baby as long as there are no chemicals used? Sounds like needless scaremongering but again I don't want to take unnecessary risks.

I've just read up on reiki and apparently it's safe throughout pregnancy, does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this? I know it's like a relaxation/healing thing but all the websites seem to be a bit airy fairy and as much as I love holistic therapies some of the language used just makes me laugh!!

Anyone recommend reiki treatments? xx

The only bad points about massage I've ever heard of is that you shouldnt have caffeine afterwards or it can send you off your head, what with the oils etc etc..

I wouldn't be having the oils babyem, no chemicals natural or otherwise during tri 1 xx

Oh yeahh! Of course, I remember you did say that before! Haha! Baby brain!!! :blush:

Hi hunny I'm sorry to put a downer on things but I'm a beauty therapist and have been for 10 years. They don't recommend Indian head massage in the first trimester. Other massage is ok but I wouldn't recommend anything in tri 1. I cancelled a massage I had booked and had a pedicure instead. Reflexology is also a no no as anything with pressure point massage is considered too stimulating. Obviously none of these have been 'tested' on pregnant ladies so everything is just advised as a caution.
Safe treatments include pedicures, facials, foot and leg massage. There is no actual reason not to have a full body massage apart from use of oils but I didn't risk it myself. I'm using just pure grape seed oil on my clients so I don't absorb any aromatherapy oils myself.
It is also not recommended to use sauna or steam rooms due to the increase in temperature. Sorry to put a downer on your lovely day you have planned but I thought you would like the advice of a qualified therapist xx

Last edited:
I was book myself in for an Indian Head massage. How come ur not supposed to have one of those?

Hi hunny I'm sorry to put a downer on things but I'm a beauty therapist and have been for 10 years. They don't recommend Indian head massage in the first trimester. Other massage is ok but I wouldn't recommend anything in tri 1. I cancelled a massage I had booked and had a pedicure instead. Reflexology is also a no no as anything with pressure point massage is considered too stimulating. Obviously none of these have been 'tested' on pregnant ladies so everything is just advised as a caution.
Safe treatments include pedicures, facials, foot and leg massage. There is no actual reason not to have a full body massage apart from use of oils but I didn't risk it myself. I'm using just pure grape seed oil on my clients so I don't absorb any aromatherapy oils myself.
It is also not recommended to use sauna or steam rooms due to the increase in temperature. Sorry to put a downer on your lovely day you have planned but I thought you would like the advice of a qualified therapist xx

Thanks hon that's really appreciated, what about just arms and legs? What about a sitting up massage with clothes on?

I wouldn't have been going to the sauna, steam room, or jacuzzi at all, I've been very aware of things that are dangerous in tri 1 and so been avoiding hot baths and things that raise core temperature in general.

I'm really bummed about the head massage, I thought that would be totally safe, how come it isn't?? :(

Well there isn't any actual evidence it isn't safe but when I trained they told us not to do it in tri 1 due to the risks of if somebody was to have a mc we could be blamed. It is very stimulating and uses pressure point massage and they say it could cause this to happen but like I said no one has actually had this theory tested out on them for obvious reasons. We are always told to be cautious in the first trimester. I honestly don't think anything would happen but I always play safe. Massage on arms, legs etc is fine and even your back so long as only a carrier oil is used such as grapeseed. This has no aromatherapy oil in it and us totally harmless. Why not try a facial, I personally find them more relaxing than massage. I hope I haven't put a downer on your day.
If it helps I had a client once who didn't tell me she was pg until she was 4 months and she was having pressure point massage within her facials which is something we are told not to do and she was absolutely fine.
I think it's just better to be safe and save these thing or tri 2. Xx

The best thing to do is speak to the spa about your concerns and see what they can recommend for you. Just make sure you speak to an experienced therapist. My hubby was gonna book me and my mum a spa day for Xmas but they spa he looked at would only let me have a mother to be treatment and didn't recommend anything else. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back