Manual or electronic breast bump?

LauraKC

Reaction score
Hi mummies

I am really kean to breastfeed and also to express is so hubby can do his bit. Just wondering, for those of you who are breastfeeding and expressing whether you think it is worth getting a manual or electronic pump? Ive heard that the manual ones hurt your hand and as i am hoping to breastfeed for as long as poss, i thought it may be more convininent to get an electronic pump. how do they compare?

Thank you

i've got to agree with melanie i tried a hand pump first and it was horrid, i then bought the same one that melanie has the medela one it was fantastic!! and i'll definately be usin it this time aswell,
ryan wouldnt drink from a bottle either tho so mostly used it to relieve my full boobs occasionally

I have the manual avent breast pump which I think is really good. The manual pumps are also a lot cheaper.

If you are not goiing to express often then a hand pump will do fine, for more regular expressing a electric pump wil be easier....

I was wondering about this too. My Mum informed me that she hardly got anything out with a manual one.

I got my medela in boots for £25 because it was in the sale.

I disagree about it being easy to use a hand pump even for occassional use. I only use my pump for relief really and to put the odd bag of milk in the freezer for emergencies and i couldnt do it with a hand pump. I tried one and frankly it was crap. My hand hurt so much after five minutes and id only got just over an oz. I get 4-6 oz in that time with my electric pump minus the hand cramp!

Hi Laura

I agree with Melanie, an electric pump is better at expressing the milk whether it's frequent expressing or the odd occasion.

I had the medula eletric to begin with but then sold it (as I had cracked nipples from poor latch and found it too sore) then got an Avent handpump. Then I borrowed a medula electric from a friend months after starting feeding and was amazed as how much more milk I was able to express than with my Avent one.

Two things I'd mention - the Medula is £29.99 from TK Max at the moment and you can't put it in some types of sterilisers.

Lucy
p.s for those who's babies won't accept bottles neither would Olivia until I fed her lying down flat! This tip was passed onto me from a couple of mums who tried everything to get their babies to take a bottle and it worked for us too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back