Breast pumps: manual v electric

OopsyDaisy

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on which breast pump to buy. The electric ones seem so expensive, but are they worth the extra money? Or is a manual pump good enough to do its job?

Also, does anyone have recommendations on which brand of breast pump to go for?

Thanks!

I used the Avent manual breast pump and found it really easy. I could get about 4oz off in 5mins. Never used the electric one as they were so expensive so can't compare but I had no problems with the manual one - Hope this helps

I've bought the Avent Manual also...looks good, great recommendations and I've not heard quite so many rave reviews about electric ones to be honest.

I was using a manual until y'day when I got an elcetric one......I have to say, the manual one was good, and I managed to get enough milk off no problem, but my hand would ache - so probably good for a 'every now & then' option.

I tried the electric one last night, and I would say that I got the same amount of milk off, a bit slower (about half the time again - so about 8 mins instead of 5 mins for 2oz), but it was sooooooooo much easier, put it on and watch it go.

I would say that personally, I'll stick to the electric one :wink:

I used an electric one in hosp and had to use a manual for one day when i got home as i was expressing every 3 hours but found the electric much kinder to my nipples and would choose the electric every time...mine is a mandela the same as they use in the hosp

yes - good point Cloud, I did find that the electric one was kinder too! :D

I haven't tried an electric pump however I have used a Tommee Tippee hand pump and the Avent one. The Avent one is much easier to use, the Tommee Tippee needs a lot more pumping to get the same amount off.

I've used all three mentioned previously above.

I used a Avent with my first 2 and thought it was great.

With lily I decided to go for the Tommee Tippee but found it horrid, suckion wasn't to great and I found the spout very short so my nipple wound reach the end and get quite sore.

I then bought an avent manual as I loved it with my first 2, but as I don't express much, I found that I had to express for a while to get what I needed and this gave me really bad hand ache ( and couldn't do anything other then express).

So I brought a Medela Electric pump, and I have to say it it fab and still have to be there a bit but no hand ache, much more comfortable plus I can balance it on my pc desk so can be on the internet and type at the same time :rotfl:

I'd now go for electric everytime.

xSuzx

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Even though it seems the electric pump does work better, I got myself a manual Avent pump as I saw a Avent feeding set containing a steriliser, manual breast pump and bottles for only £50. Normally the steriliser itself would cost £40, so decided that £10 for a manual pump wasn't bad. If I find that I have problems using the manual pump, then I'll just get myself the electric pump, and would just lose out on a tenner, so to say.

Thanks again.

hi, i know you have already bought the manual pump..

just wanted t say i have flat nipples. and wasnt able to pump with a manual. if anyone has the same problem as i have get an electric pump, one that has adjustable suction, i havent actaully used it yet but it really does draw out the nipple..

i am planning to pump for the first few days maybe a little longer so he can get the nutrients and stuff.. but i dont want to breastfeed
would you reckommened the manual one then???
cos i wont be using it for long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back