Breast pump advice

Moofa

Reaction score
Hi

Could I have your opinions on the Tommee Tippee breast pump see

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... R&mcb=core

I can only use 1 hand and the midwife told me to get an electronic double breast pump, but I can't afford it! I thought about this one as I was advised that with a manual one you can control the pump suction easier with a manual one.

Thanks, any advice would be useful (If it is any good I would like to get it before the offer ends)

Mx

That's the same one I've bought. There was an article on breastpumps in a baby magazine and a reader tried four different ones out (2 electric, 2 manual) and this one came out best. Also read good reveiws on it. I saw it in tesco for £12.50 and snapped it up, for £12.50 it doesn't matter if I end up not getting on with it and have to buy another one. They might still have the offer on so if you decide to get it check in there, they also had tommee tippee bottles/sterilisers etc half price too.

i use that one and can express 6oz in about 10min with one hand! :)

You can hire double breast pumps from the NCT

http://www.nctsales.co.uk/prodlist.asp?cat=288&scat=316&parent=231

Also I had read some reviews on the Tomme Tippee one and I don't think people were that impressed, im sure it was on this forum. However, I may be wrong, it was a while back since I was looking for a breast pump for myself, hopefully though you will get some good replies with the info you're looking for.

Edit

Just found some more info for you

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/buyingforbaby/knowhow/productsontest/breastpumpstest/

It's always in TK Maxx here and costs £12.

I have the Tommee Tippee steamer and Tommee Tippee extra bottles so does it matter if the make I get is different from Tommee Tippee e.g the Avensis one?

I have successfully used this TT breast pump (got mine from TK Maxx for £12.99 last summer) for nearly 9 months now. I don't express regularly now, but it has had some heavy use and is still going strong.

It does only need one hand to pump, but I do use the other hand to hold the pump against my boob to aid suction (otherwise would be pumping air) - I'm not sure if you have use of the other hand, but will you be able to hold your hand or something against the boob you are expressing from to hold the pump in place? If not, you may only be able to use an electric (single or double) pump, but I'm not 100% sure as everyone is different.

I've also had a think about how I pump as I was worried that I used my right hand to pump from my left boob and vice versa, but that's rubbish - I use my right hand to pump from both and left hand to hold the pump against my either boob so I think you'll be fine without a double pump.

You don't have to get the same make as your bottles and steraliser. If you use the Avent pump (for example), you could just pour the expressed milk into whatever make of bottle you liked.

I hope that's helpful. Good luck with your decision. For what it's worth, I think the TT pump is great.

Valentine Xxx

i'm so dumb... i didnt know you needed a pump to express. i thought you just... squeezed your boobies. haha. im so thick.
oh dear. i wonder if there's anything else blatantly obvious i should have known about.

little momma said:
i'm so dumb... i didnt know you needed a pump to express. i thought you just... squeezed your boobies. haha. im so thick.
oh dear. i wonder if there's anything else blatantly obvious i should have known about.

Your not thick you can hand express but if you want to express alot it might be more time efficient to use a pump. :hug:

I have the avent manual oneand the medula swing electric one and TBH both are equally as good at getting my milkout. However I find the manual one is a bit of a nightmare on my hand after a while, and when I was expressing ad feeding at the same time I could only do it with the electric one.

In theory you can hand express! But I've tried it and it's absolutley hopeless! Got a dribble. Whereas when I use my pump (use the avent electric one) I can get 6-7oz per side in 10 mins.

Manual pumps are just as effective at getting milk out as electric ones. I've tried both so I know. But... manual pumps are much more tiring on your wrist, hand and fingers. It's much more relaxing using an electric pump. So if you only have the use of one hand, it'll be quite difficult on that hand. ALso, Valentine is right, you do have to hold the pump against your breast otherwise it doesn't create a seal and doesn't pump effectively.

K.xx

Hi

Thanks girls. I think I'll look around at electric ones.

Do you think it would be ok to get one after LO is born? I don't want to get one and then find I'm fine and don't need one.

Mx

I have just started using a TT breast pump and think its fine, easy to assemble and operate with one hand, but I only express enugh for one feed so if you plan on expressing a lot an electric one might be more efficient?

I would wait and see how you get on, you can always hand express if you get desperate, or your midwife might be able to lend you one?

Also I was told to make sure baby has learnt to latch on well before introducing bottle too, so you might have afew weeks before you need to express anyway.

Good luck!

That's the one I used too and I had no probs at all with it - I was able to get 5-6oz at a time when I was fully bf'ing and it would take about 15 mins. Like Valentine though, I pumped with my right hand but used my left hand to hold the pump tight to my breast - if not it would just be air I was pumping. I used an electric double pump when in hospital and it was amazing - you just sit there with the pump attached to your boob and it does it for you. You should wait until your milk supply has settled before you start pumping though and pump at the same time every day x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back