Breast pump - electric or manual?

Olive

Reaction score
I'm hoping to breast feed and eventually express, but don't want to buy a breast pump just yet, just in case it doesn't go according to plan - such is life!

I just wondered though, for those that do bf, which is better, electric or manual?

I'm imagining electric is a lot easier, quicker and makes life more simple? Although, I know more expensive.

Thanks x

Hi hun

I've used both and definately prefer my electric! The electric ones are expensive so to start with I bought a manual one before I had LO....just to see how I got on with bf and also expressing! Once I was established and knew I could bf and express I then went and bought an electric one so as not to waste pennies :)

HTH xx

Sent from my nearly buggared iPhone!!

I have also got a manual one for now but if I take to breastfeeding and expressing I will then go on to buy the electronic one. Like Smith said, they electric ones are so expensive so it doesnt seem worth buying one just incase you don't take to expressing xxx

I got the medela swing electric one and it's fab and I think I would have struggled to mimic the action needed with a manual one x

Thanks for responses ladies :hug: I hope I can do it! X

I got a manual initially and it is awful, really uncomfortable 'suck' and REALLY hard work for hardly any milk, takes ages too! Then I got an electric one (Medela Swing) and it's amazing, really quick and you can vary the 'suck' strength so can go slower if sore and it made a million percent difference. I understand what you mean about the cost though, mine cost £90 but I figured if I was buying formula I could end up spending that in the first few months (actually I have no idea how expensive formula is, that figure could be way out!). There's no harm waiting a couple of weeks after the baby comes though to see whether bf is working out for you :)

I was in hospital for almost a week and i used an electric one, when i got home i used a manual one and it hurt like a bitch!! I deffo prefer electric but they are expensive! Next time round im hoping just to bf and not even express....if thats possible! Inused to bite on a tea towel whilst pumping away!

Thanks ladies. I got a medela (sp) electric one off of amazon today black fri deal £64. Glad you mentioned them too can't stop. Someone posted in the preg chat section about them and sounded like a good deal. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back