Nursery Vs Childminders

kiansmummy

Reaction score
Hiya just after a little bit of advice/support really.I am a nursery nurse and My little boy is 13 months old and he currently goes to the same nursery which i work in, he is in the baby room and i work next door in the toddler room, he has been coming to nursery since the end of may when he was 8 months old, but he is still as unsettled now as he was the day he started.He is a mummys boy but I think the reasons for him still being unsettled is because at times he can see me in the other room, and obviously as im working i cant go and pick him up, ive asked for a transfer to another nursery etc, but my manager says i have to grin and bear it he will get used to it. Another reason why i think hes still unsettled is that there are 12 babys in the baby room, and he tends to like the one to one attention and as the baby room is full he doesnt get the one to one which he likes. I just think now also that he has been put off the nursery environment and sees it as a bad place if u get me. So ive been thinking of changing and trying him with a child minder i think he might be better if its in more of a homely environment doing more normal everyday things? So i was wondering if anyone had any experiance of childminders or both (childminders and nurserys) would you recommend them, what to look for when finding one etc? And also would you say nursery is better or worse? xx

Isla goes to a Childminder and loves it! She is so flexible, food included and works from 7-6 for £3.50 an hour :) I like how Isla gets to go out and about, see her little friends but can also chill on the sofa with her.

Emma x

Thanks. I went to visit one this morning and it looked lovely, she takes them out every day to either soft play centres, park, farms etc. she does home cooked meals. it just looked so much more suitable for Kian, i just dont want to take him out from nursery if he wouldnt settle with the childminder, at least at nursery i am still there with him just in the other room. x

Im sure he would settle well with a childminder. Ours is a bit more pricey at 50 a day for 10 hours, food incl. I love my childminder so much! shes had owen since 6 months just 1 or 2 days a week and he loves her and her daughter. She doesn't have many other kids to look after. They go to playgroups and the park. She email me a picture of him every lunch time (it's the best bit of my working day!!) Shes so flexible and I feel every single need he has is met. (jeez probably more so than when I have him with me lol!)

we use a childminder, shes had our LO since he was 8 months old. hes really bonded with her, and he cries when I leave him with anyone else, but with her and my mother hes really secure. Its fab. The downside is if shes off sick, shes off and we've got no childcare, which is a nightmare as we dont have family nearby but Ive got a backup childminder now so its all good. I'd definately use a childminder again for a baby.

When theyre 2 they need more of the group setting, but at such a young age they need a higher level of attention and a normal home environment, I love that he goes on the school run, and round the supermarket with her.

Isla goes to a Childminder and loves it! She is so flexible, food included and works from 7-6 for £3.50 an hour :) I like how Isla gets to go out and about, see her little friends but can also chill on the sofa with her.

Emma x

Couldn't have put it better myself! :)

I've been a Childminder for 7 years now but was a Nursery Nurse for 5 years before that so I have experience of both. Nursery is fun for babies/children if they're out going and confident but if they like more 1-1 attetion or are a little shy then they can get a bit lost in the chaos (just my opinion).

I love love love childminding, we can do things at the drop of a hat where as at nursery you have to stick to what's planned for the day. It's so much more relaxed than at nursery.

From how you've described Kian it sounds like he would thrive with a Childminder and a couple of little friends to play with! x

thanks i think youve just made my mind up well helped to, hes doing a taster session with her next week, so before i hand his notice in at nursery im gunna see how that goes and we will go from there, thankyou all xx

him being able to see you will definitely unsettle him, can your manager not switch your rooms so you work out of sight?

He will not get 1-2-1 with a childminder either, infact a childminder can have up to 6 children on their own so ratios can be worse.
you work in this nursery with these staff members are they reassuring when a child is distressed? do they provide affection? because really no child should not settle at nursery. I would ask them what are they doing about it, how well do they know him, his likes and interests? does he have a particular routine or comforter that he can use at nursery... it is their job to adapt their practice to each individual child.

we had to put J in a nuresery at 4 months old. He is a really outgoing boy and loved meeting the new children. However we had an amazing nurery (not saying your's isnt i PROMISE). The were only ever 6 other babies there and so it felt like he did get one on one care all the time and they were amazzing with him (saying that though hes never been one for lots of cuddles and would rather craw around and explore ). Does sound that maybe your LO might feel more comfortable with one consistent childminder around to look after him!?

Can i also say girls this has been actually really good advice!!!!!!!!! Does it sound weird to say if you are uber friendly with the childminder he might see it as they are a good person and ummy likes them so i can?? Might also be the right way of 'weaning' him from being with you all the time before a nursery environment??

XXXXXXXXXX

My boys go to a child minders. It's only £5 an hour and that's for them both, not each!! She provides everything except nappies, takes them out every day and she genuinely loves the kids she watches. My boys love her to bits and give her kisses and cuddles. She's 63 now so my boys are the last she is taking on and Lucas is her youngest so will retire when he goes to school. I go to work very happy knowing they are with her.

Jacob did go to nursery one day a week for a while he was always distraught when I left him there. One day when I went to pick him up I seen him getting pushed around by some bigger kids, he was crying shouting mammy and no one helped him. ( I seen this from the car park, he was outside) I never took him back there.

So my vote is childminder xx

thanks i think youve just made my mind up well helped to, hes doing a taster session with her next week, so before i hand his notice in at nursery im gunna see how that goes and we will go from there, thankyou all xx

Hope he enjoys his session :)

As for ratio's a childminder can have 3 under 5 and only one of these can be under 1. So plenty of attention for your LO.

I vote childminder too. I like the more homely environment and AJ loves the kids that he's with. He still goes to the same playgroups as I took him to before I went back to work. He's always out and about doing and learning different things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back