Making up feeds

Marsh08

Reaction score
Morning ladies,

There is so much conflicting advice out there regarding making up feeds!! Every book I read tells you to make each feed as and when needed but when you have a screaming baby who from the minute she wakes wants a bottle, that's easier said than done!! My midwife and HV have told me to boil the kettle, leave for 30 mins, measure out the water needed, leave to cool for another 30 mins then place in the back of the fridge and add formula and heat when needed. But adding formula to cold water I thought does not kill 'bacteria'? So I was just wondering......how do you all do it?!!!

XxX

My friend had this problem do spoke to midwife...she said to have sterilised bottles, boil the water and then leave the water in the bottles to go room temp (they last 24hrs do you can make up as many as you would use and just have them on side) and when baby needs a bottle you add the formula and shake. Midwife says it is fine and she has never had any problems with it at all. Just preference really, but as long as everything is sterilised then there won't be any harmful bacteria. there are always mixed feelings regarding formula feeds though and all midwifed would say something different too so it's just what you find works best. Xxx

My LO will not wait for longer than a couple of minutes when he's hungry. I pre-make his bottles the night before for the day. I let the kettle boil, leave for 20 mins (longer and I'll forget lol), put the powder in, shake and then put in the back of the fridge (for no longer than 24 hours). When he needs one, I used to heat it in a jug of hot water (or the bottle warmer) - but because he's now on big bottles I zap them in the microwave for a minute. I know it's also advised not to do this either - but so long as you shake them like mad, there are no heat spots.

The MW and HV can only advise you based on NHS recommendations. I think as long as you use common sense, it's fine!

I heard the forumula was the bit with the bacteria so needed to be mixed with boiling water to kill it off.
As you say there's so much conflicting advice so go with what works for you. I make 5 bottles in the evening and pop them in the back of the fridge. Then microwave for 20 secs and shake like mad, they all get used up within 24 hours easily and we've never had any problems yet.

Once one bottle is drunk i make the nxt and put in an insulated bag have done this from birth n baby is fine. x

I now boil the water, measure it into bottles, add the powder, quickly cool them down with cold water and ice, and then put them in the fridge until they're needed. They can be kept for up to 24 hours. Then when baby is screaming for a feed, I can just grab it from the fridge and warm it up. Mich quicker than doing it from scratch.

I did make my bottles up with boiling water & formula and stick in the back of the fridge & pop them in the microwave when required.

When I was out I would have half cold boiled water in the bottle & then top up with hot water from the flask & add formula for instant room temp.

I'm using a anti reflux formula for LO which I can't pre make bottles for because the formula goes too thick so I keep a pint of cooled boiled water in the fridge then when I need to use 3oz of it and add 3oz of boiled hot water with formula.

I agree There is lots of conflicting advice out there, I just make sure my bottles are thoroughly sterilised xxx

I make up my bottles with boiling water into the bottles, pop them in the cupboard to get to room temp I then add formula when lo is ready. Yes there may be bacteria in the formula, but hv says that it only begins to multiply when the water is added, so as long as its used within 2 hours it is fine - I've had no problems so far xx

I boil the kettle and fill up a few bottles to what I need, minus 2 oz, and let them cool. I then add 2 oz of boiling water when needed, add powder and swill/stir (can't shake DR Browns bottles)

Thank you for all of your help and advice ladies!!

XxX

Othe option, although more expensive is ready made formula which is what we are tending to use

we boil the kettle, leave for 30mins and pour into a flask. Perfect temperature water for a bottle in minutes!
Every bottle freshly made. Once we make up a bottle and give to baby, we boil the kettle again and do a fresh flask, so the water is always at the correct temp.
(we also had the screaming baby "I WANT MY MILK NOW!")

My friend had this problem do spoke to midwife...she said to have sterilised bottles, boil the water and then leave the water in the bottles to go room temp (they last 24hrs do you can make up as many as you would use and just have them on side) and when baby needs a bottle you add the formula and shake. Midwife says it is fine and she has never had any problems with it at all. Just preference really, but as long as everything is sterilised then there won't be any harmful bacteria. there are always mixed feelings regarding formula feeds though and all midwifed would say something different too so it's just what you find works best. Xxx

Exactly how I do it and LO is fine :)and midwife told me this too

I put boiled water in the bottles (last 24h) leave them on the side (room temp) then add fourmal
As you need it doesnt take 2mims that way :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back