Lying on back to sleep

Gemma & Jake

Reaction score
Hi I have heard that you should not lay on your back once you get past 20 weeks of pregnancy. Is this true and if it is could anybody tell me why as some nights it is the only way I feel comfortable.

Your mean to lay on your left side as laying on your back causes increased pressure. Are you used to laying on your back when you go to sleep, before baby and now?

I always lay on my back when sleeping, but have started laying on my left side as it is said to be better all round. I still find it comfy on my back tho, because I guess tahts what I was used to before pregnancy.

I try and lie on my left side but kept waking on my back with what felt like a trapped nerve on the lower left side. I am now lying on my right side which seems to agree with me and the trapped nerve has eased loads.

I have read that if you wake up on your back not to worry just turn to your side.

how come it is on your left side you have to lay, is it bad to lay on the right???

Something to do with the blood flow I think because your heart is on your left side.

I could be wrong.

oohhh i will only sleep on my left side now then:(

I watch tv in bed for an hour or so before I go to sleep and I lie on my back is that harmful then, for an hour?? :think:

when i used to go for my checkups the midwife always said 'you can sit up now, try not to lie on your back too much'

so i think its as little as possible. as violet said the left side is best for circulation

It's all well to say that sleeping on your side is best - even better on your left side, but if you can't get comfortable then I guess you have to do whatever makes you comfortable - besides I'm sure when our parents had us they knew nothing about sleeping on the left/right side, etc and we all turned out alright - or so I'd like to think. If I do lay on my back I do try and raise either the left or right side of my back a little bit by supporting it with one of my many pillows!!

The last few days I have been waking up on my stomache :shock:

Doh! Skatty how do you manage that (other than the obvious!) - you definately can't be very big then! i'm sure your LO will let you know eventually when your squashing her anyway :wink: ! By the way has she been an active little one?

skatty said:
The last few days I have been waking up on my stomache :shock:

Im so jealous! I used to sleep on my stomach, now theres now way i could it would be like balancing on a football. Well that and id get kicked to crap :rotfl:

I have tried not to worry but actually today she has been very quiet so I am scared I've squashed her! I'm trying not to be paranoid because I've been busy all day and she's usually most active at night so I'm having a chocolate milk and am going to lie down now.

On the nights I've stayed up late she has kicked me to bits but I sleep through anything (I literally slept through a suicide bomb two doors down from me when I lived in Israel!) so I don't know how much she kicks when I'm asleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back