Lula-Mae - 1 June 2012

Maria1977

Reaction score
Well, after being told on Wednesday 30 May that I was carrying a MASSIVE baby and copius amounts of fluid I was asked how I wanted to birth my baby... again told them I wanted vbac, and that I would like to discuss induction methods, but I didn't want the drip at all... doctor then told me that he wouldn't advise induction or vbac and that he would advise section. Said I didn't want a section, so after talking me through it for a few minutes I got a bit upset. He then told me that the scan 'might've picked up' some fluid on my baby's neck and abdomen, but they weren't sure if it was there or not and if it was had no idea why it was there... cue me getting more upset. They said they wouldn't advise I wait for labour as getting her out sooner rather than later meant they could see if this fluid was actually there or not, a baby doctor must be present at her birth etc etc, induction would put too much pressure on my previous section wound. So after a few minutes I gave in to them and said i would have a section, but I wasn't happy about it, I was pretty devastated. When the doctor left the room to talk to the regiistrar the MW asked if I would like her to see if they could check my cervix, see if it was open and if so try and break my water. I said i would so off she went and when they came back the doctor was happy to try, but my cervix was barely reachable and closed. I don't know why they couldn't try an induction with a pessary, to see if it woul dkick off natrual labour, but they wouldn't. So the section was booked for Friday morning...

Had few tightenings the rest of Wednesday and barely nothing on Thursday. Friday though, I was getting loooads. Kinda hoped my waters would go and they would assist natural labour, but it didn't come to that.

We got to the hospital for 8am, up at 5.30 to make sure our little boy was ready for nursery by the time his Nan came to take over from us. They have 2 section spots every morning and I was hoping to be first as section terrifies me, they were aware of this and hoped they would opt to put me through first, but the other copule got there literally 20 seconds in front of us so they went first. I was told that the baby doctor wasn't available until later that morning, so I couldn't have gone first anyways, but stil gutted... hanging round getting more anxious.

They were quite slow anyway so I didn't go through for the spinal until 12pm ish. I'd been holding it together quite well, OH kept telling me he was proud coz I wasn't a blubbering mess lol, but when I went through for the spinal I had to go on my own and OH would be brought through once the catheter had been fitted...

I got in the room and it was the same room I'd had the emergency section for my son in. I told the guy who did my BP that I was sorry if I cried, but I was scared, didn't want this and absolutely gutted how things had turned out, plus was worried about my baby and this potential fluid retention. He was really nice and chatty... the anaethetist came in and did the canula and then did the spinal. When he started on my back is when I went to bits. Just few tears to start with, MW was fab and tried to talk to me but I was just so upset and I couldn't stop the tears. As the spinal took effect and the numbness was working it's way through my body I started to proper cry and become anxious...

As all the doctors etc came in and started their prep I couldn't stop crying and getting more panicy, staring at the same lights and being so upset it was happening again the anaethetist asked if they could do something for me, I just said I want Olly, so they brought him early.

Felt better to have him there and made him keep his face pressed to mine as I couldn't hold his hand. As they were prepping me the sensation was horrible, couldn't bare it, it was making me so anxious. And, as with my son, I hated the position my legs felt like they were in, even though it wasn't how I thought lol I freaked out that they weren't asking if I was numb enough, how do they know etc. As they started and it didn't hurt I felt better but still so upset, couldn't stop the tears. Felt them pulling around inside me and kept waiting for the baby to come out, but she didn't and then all the pulling stopped. I couldn't see or hear my baby so I started asking Olly, where is she, why have they stopped, he refused to look over the screen (don't blame him lol), cue me getting more anxious. By this point I was ridicously upset, I hated feeling like it as I didn't want it to effet my baby, but I couldn't hold it in at all.

Eventually they did tell me that baby was fine, but before they took her out they were dealing with scar tissue.

By this point it was too much lol, I said to Olly that I was going to pass out. I had been fighting it for a bit but that I couldn't take it anymore and I was just gonna go with it and pass out!! Next thing we knew the anaethetist was putting something through the canula, he said it was for anxiety, god knows what it was, beta blockers or something I guess, but within moments I was finally calm. Not happy and still freaked out by the sensation of the spinal, but not crying and breathing steadily... at last.

Felt like an age, but Lula-Mae was finally pulled into this world at 12.56pm, weighing 8lb 3oz, Olly went with her and she was perfect... after all their fuss though there was no baby doctor present for her birth :shock: Olly brought her over to me and she was, awkwardly, placed by my face. I asked about the fluid and they said she would be checked later... it was eventually done on the Sunday morniing :shock: But we already knew she was fine anyways.

Was taken to recovery with our new daughter and relief that I would never have to go through that horrendous experience again. I could feel the effects of the spinal starting to wear off around my chest area and started to feel confident that I would eventually gain all feeling back (this is one of my fears btw!) Lula latched on perfect and was sucking for over an hour in recovery. I was in there for around 1.5 hours because I went from feeling fine to almost vomiting over my new daughter and had to wait for a MW to come and give anti-sickness medication.

Finally got back to the bay... moved to ward that night and then left hospital yesterday afternoon, although wished I had of stayed the extra night as in quite a bit of pain and hospital bed is way more comfy as I can sleep sitting up, laying down is not comfy atm!!!

We are so in love with our new daughter and her older brother is very impressed with her also. He has since said his first word 'baby' and hugs her all the time, as well as trying to rip her head off lol Think he loves her a bit too much!!!

Heres a couple of pix...

Attachments

• lula1.jpg
    lula1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 79
  • lula2.jpg
    lula2.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Congratulations, she is beautiful xx
So sorry you've had a rough time of it, I'm sure it was well worth it in the end :hugs:

Shes gorge!!!! Congrats again hun xxxxx

Congratulations xx and how cute your son's first word is baby. Lula-Mae looks adorable by the way x

She's beautiful, sorry you had such a rubbish time though. x

Using tapatalk so excuse the typos!

big congrats hunni and good for you wanting it natural, and so happy your little boy loves her so much already x x x

She's beautiful :love: You're story made me cry as I can relate to how you were feeling and how scary it must have been :hug: But as you say, she's totally worth it. She really is gorgeous. x

Congratulations she is absolutely beautiful.

Congratulations, Lula-Mae is gorgeous - baby & name. Sorry it wasn't a nice experience for you, hope you make a speedy recovery xx

Congratulations :) She is beautiful xxxxx

Congratulations hun, she is absolutely gorgeous :) I am petrified of the thought of a section and/or an epidural. I hate that numb feeling u get after the dentist so it proper freaks me out to think my whole lower half is numb. So glad all went well even if it wasn't a nice experience :hugs: xxx

I'm so sorry you didn't get the birth you wanted. It must've been difficult.

I had a tear in my eye when you said you wanted your OH u must've been scared.

Anyway, lula is gorgeous, so well worth the hassle.

xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back