Low risk/high risk?

Kirsty.Y.84

Reaction score
Hi all

Just wondering really, does anyone know what factors affect whether you would be classed as low or high risk pregnancy?
I am due for my booking in appointment on Monday so I'm hoping I will find out then but just curious really. I am desperate to be classed as low risk as I would love to give birth in the midwife run centre at my local hospital but you can only give birth there if you are low risk.

This is all me guessing, but I suppose high risk is based on complicated pregnancies in the past, medical history and possibly family medical history. If it's your first pregnancy and there is nothing in your medical history to make them concerned then I'm sure you will be low risk xx

They go through a list of things including family history of diabetes, blood pressure, heart problems, mental health problems etc and you just have to say yes or no then they decide depending on what your answers are. Im high risk coz of hypertension and medication I was on before pregnancy. Nothing to worry about if you are high risk as you just get extra appoinments and extra scans!!
xxxx

yeah, if you and FOB have good medical history, and your families do too, and no previous high risk pregnancies then you should be fine. Obviously anything can happen during pregnancy, but just take each day as it comes. My last pregnancy went along normally til I was approximately 22 weeks, then I started to gain excess fluid and was diagnosed polyhydramnios by week 28. But it's really rare apparently and I'm not classed as high risk this time xxxxx

i have been classed as high risk for a few reasons, but they still gave me the option of the 'low risk' centre for the birth, and i chose that.

i suppose it depends on what you are high risk for.

xxx

Ah ok. I have no medical probs and neither does my hubby. Both my parents suffer from high blood pressure but I don't so hopefully should be ok on that front. I have had to fill out all the forms prior to my appointment and on the form it asks about family mental health. My dad has bipolar disorder but I have no mental health probs, i hope they don't think there's a risk to my own mental health.
Thanks for your advice ladies :) x x

i doubt they would put you at high risk if you dont have history of mental health problems yourself.
i think they are concerened if the MH problems are likely to be passed down genetically. they asked about my family mental health history, but didnt really seem to take much notice of it.

hope it goes ok hun
xxxx

hi im classed as high risk as my first born was born by emergency section after being distressed and was monitored constantly as they thought my baby was going to be tiny!! 2nd pregnancy high risk coz of previous section and low birth weight!! pregnant with 3rd and my mw was adamant i should have home birth even though i dont, saying all we be fine blah blah blah and so on!! seen consultant last week who had put me high risk again mainly due to 1st pregancy but also because 2nd baby got distressed in final stages :eh: so my notes now say mum keen on VBAC but must be done in consultand led unit!! so cant wait to say told u so to MW :lol: x

so unless u have previous probs or any medical history that would put you at high risk shoud be fine x

I'm classed as low risk but i'm under consultant care because of my previous miscarriages and my spotting in this pregnancy. I think as long as you've had no previous problems with pregnancies such as pre-eclampsia etc, and you have no serious underlying health conditions you'll be classed as low risk. They do take into account your mental health. I completely lost the plot after my 2nd miscarriage and had to have 3 months off of work because of my breakdown but that hasn't affected anything.
Good luck today! :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back