What does High Risk Mean?

Mrs N

Reaction score
Hi there ladies,
i had my booking in appointment yesterday and because of a neurological disorder and they are sure I will get gestational diabetes (need to be tested but they said it was very likely) they have put me as a high risk. Didnt really take it in till got home (then cried).
So what I wanted to know is how common is a high risk pregnancy and what does it mean for the pregnancy and birth? I have to see the consulant in addition to the midwife and have to test for the diabetes in addition but not sure after that!!
Anyone got any experience that might help?
xxxx

Try not to worry it seems quite common, lots of girls are 'high risk' on here. It means they will keep a closer eye on you, so extra appointments and scans so if any problems do arise with you or baby they will be picked up early.

High risk means you get extra appointment possibly more scans. With the birth the midwife should stay with you more than they would for a low risk.

Ok, well actually that doesnt sound too bad!! Lol!! Would rather more care to be honest!!
DO you know what it means for the birth? Was hoping to do it in a birthing centre (is still in the hospital), do you think that I will have tobe on the proper medical ward?
xxxx

I was high risk cos I'd had 3+ births,high bmi and previous c section. I got more scans and had to see the consultant.
Basically it meant the consultant was in charge of my care rather than the mw's-I still saw the mw as normal but any problems had to be run by the consultant xx

It probably just depends how your pregnancy progresses, if you end up without to many problems I can't see why you can't go to the birthing center, maybe chat with mw about it in more detail next time you see her to see what their policies are.

Yeah, I cant see how my neurological problem has much to do with the pregnancy apart from it makes it worse but that wont affect anything really so hope that it will ammount to nothing!!
THink I will talk to the midwife next time about it but there is so much info at the booking in appointment that I got a bit bamboozled!! Think hubbie must have too as he kept on telling people the wrong thing!!
xxxx

You may not be able to use the birthing center if your consultant led care which is usually the case with high risk.

I Emerald rose is probably right, but check with midwife. Basically they only normally uncomplicated pregnancies to take place in birthing centres or at home but will very much depend on your set up and probably how the pregnancy progress. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a birthing centre for you xx

They said we wouldnt be able to have a home birth (which doesnt bother me) but never mentioned anything else!! Oh well will just have to see!!
xxxx

all it has meant for me, is that i cannot home birth as there is a heightened risk of haemorrage.

At my local hospital the attached birthing centre only allow people who are low risk to give birth there, but they don't assess this until 36 weeks and your risk can change.

I am high risk as i have MS (Multiple Sclerosis) which is a neurological disorder. All i know is that i am under the care of a consultant aswell as midwives and that i have extra appointments to just check over me. I have heard nothing about having extra scans or anything but they have said that i will not be able to give birth at home. xxx

Yeah a couple of people have mentioned extra scans but the midwife didnt mention it!! Guess it just depends on wether they think there is a risk to the baby!! Think we are going to have a 4d scan so I guess that will be an extra one to check (even tho we do have to pay for it!)
xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back