low bood pressure and lightheaded

Discussion in 'Second Trimester' started by Sunshine_state, May 25, 2013.

1. Sunshine_state

Sunshine_state Well-Known Member

My last mw app she asked if i was getting dizzy and lightheaded, which i am..she said my blood pressure was low. In the last week it's happening a few times a day and if i lie on my back. Is this normal or should i talk to mw ? x

2. Jodie_2013

Jodie_2013 Well-Known Member

Your blood pressure sounds like it is low. However in pregnant after around 18 weeks it's advised women try not to lay on their backs. It traps the main nerve running down your spine causing many women to feel faint and even pass out at times so this is normal. However if it's constant even when sat up get your BP checked out again. Nothing to worry about though hun x

3. Gemsy

Gemsy Well-Known Member

I'm suffering from low blood pressure too. Doctor told me not to worry, he said its far better than having high blood pressure! The only thing you have to watch is that you don't faint, as you could hurt yourself when you fall - so make sure you get up slowly, don't do anything too fast, and sit down if you feel faint!

Echo the above re. the artery when you lie on your back - its not recommended.

4. umbongo

umbongo Well-Known Member

I concur with what the ladies above said, don't lie on your back. Make sure you eat regularly whether you fancy it or not,and drink plenty of water. Just be careful getting up and going up stairs etc. I had this in first trimester then it got better. X