low blood count

heatherq39

Reaction score
hi i am 30 weeks, and had my bloods done at hospital the other day, they came back at 7.9, which has shocked me, i have been asked to go back for iron studies, what does this involve, i cant tolerate the tablets or liquid, and i know in belfast here they dont offer iron injections, be honest girls, is this dangerously low???? i really dont mind anyone telling me the truth as i am very worried, thanks for reading x

The WHO advise that haemoglobin levels should not fall below 11.0g/dl and certainly haemoglobin concentrations of less than 10.5g/dl should be regarded as abnormal

I wouldn't worry, they'll find a way to get you what you need x

Hiya :wave: Welcome to Pregnancy Forum :D

That's low, you must feel awful you poor thing :(

Right what they could do is take you in as a day patient and top you up, not with blood but similar, I can't remember the name but its iron something and its a little brown bag :)

It should take a morning, if that and its no worse than getting any injection except it will stay in while you're there.

Hope this has helped, any questions regarding navigating the site; then just shout :)

I'm low on iron too. Mines about 10 ATM but has been lower and there's another thing that you have in your blood to help you absorb iron (cant remember the name :oops:) and 15+ is fine and I'm at 9.

Dont worry. you might feel a bit rough and maybe breathless but your LO will get the iron from you - you'll go with out but that can be sorted :)

bit worried as midwife said they were going to do two blood tests as well as iron studies, am worried in case they do a blood gas( the one with the big needle that goes in your wristbone) would they do this test on me very worried about that as my mum had that and said it was very painful!

Why dont you give them a ring and ask them then you dont need to stress wondering :hug:

As said before hun, ring them and find out exactly whats going to happen, it's not worth getting yourself stressed or worried about as it'll just make you feel worse. :hug:

have to go over this morning so will see what they are going to do then! sorry girls for rambling, just got a real old fear of needles, big wuss that i am, thanks for your support, means an awful lot, will update later when i come home, thanks again lovely ladies xxxxxx

dont worry we dont mind listening to your rambling, it's what we are all here for. Good luck hun, you will be fine :hug:

I'm in Belfast too.. My sister had her baby in the Royal Maternity, she was given an iron injection after clotting in labour, I'm sure you could ask them to look into it.. I hope they find something to help, good luck x

all they did today was take a blood sample, told me i HAD to take the iron tabs, 2 a day for 4 weeks whether it makes me sick or not!!!, then go back and see my doc in 3 weeks at hospital when they will review meand do another blood test, and if my levels are still low, only then will they do the iron drip, so i have to feel like rubbish for the next 3-4 weeks as thry refuse to do anything to help till then, thats royal jubilee maternity for you, sorry girls, bit annoyed about it x

Sorry it didn't go the way you wanted hun :(

quick update, hospital retook bloods, still very low so took pity on me and took me in for the day where i had an iron infusion, took just over 6 hours, so feeling a bit more alive now, thanks for listening girls! xx

Oh thats great hun, glad they done it for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back