Lotus Birth - warning contains pictures of placenta

You don't see animals walking around with placenta still attached, so how is that natural??? Yuck, sorry if I have offended anyone, but no that is not natural and i can imagine it to be at all healthy or hyginic for baby or anyone in the same room.

You don't see animals walking around with placenta still attached, so how is that natural??? Yuck, sorry if I have offended anyone, but no that is not natural and i can imagine it to be at all healthy or hyginic for baby or anyone in the same room.

i dont think it makes a happier or healthier like you said animals dont keep it attach they detach it and eat it

Each to their own I say! I fail to understand it tbh. I think it's a bit minging. Dunno why it's called lotus birth either, shouldn't it be called having your baby and dragging around a dead organ with him/her until it's rots enough to fall off :)

I took a massive interest in the placenta after my first child, I asked to see it and have it all explained to me, so it's not that I'm squeamish or uninterested in the organ that sustained my children, I just don't see the reason to keep the thing xx

Some people are squemish about a tiny bit of blood, imagine intrducing your brand new baby to someone and they see the placenta! Plus I would worry about ripping the cord off of the baby when I handle him/her, they're wobbly enough to carry when they're new let alone having to worry about the placenta!!

Not for me either i'm afraid. Each to their own though!

xxx

Lotus births are quite popular in Brighton, it's certainly not for me though. I wouldn't even want to look at my own heart and that's kept me alive for 31 years!

Our NCT lady said that some men make little pouches made of silk for the placenta so it can be carried around discreetly. Now I'm not being funny, but there is no way my husband is going to sit there and create some pouch for the placenta :lol:

I saw that tv show aswell... Have to say its a bit excessive, And is there not also a risk of infection? Where the placenta detatches frmo your uterus theres places bacteria could enter, and then viz the cord be transfered to baby? Or hell just the placenta rotting.. No thanks, Dont want rotting meat attatched to my baby.

I think waitin for the cord to stop pulsing/dont cut till after the placenta is delivered is a great idea, But once the placenta is detatched from our bodies.. it stops working.. lol

i find this very weird. why the hell would u wanna do it? must be right smelly. i'm now sqeamish either i'm a dental nurse and love seeing surgicals and loads of blood. it must be such a pain to carry around.

I was intrigued to see the placenta after my birth but wouldn't be keen to do this. Not because I'm closed mind but I'm not sure what benefit it would serve my baby.
I agree, cords are cut too soon. I was pretty upset that after my last birth, it seemed like a race to get it cut and push it out despite my objections.

I don't know enough about lotus births to really have an opinion one way or the other at present, but I am intrigued by it. It's not something I would say no to as yet - although my other half would! One thing that does wind me up is how quickly cords seem to get cut, as standard, when everything points to them being left until they stop pulsing at least. That is something I have but in my birth plan in BIG LETTERS.

I keep meaning to read more about how some people eat the placenta. As a vegetarian, I'm surprised at how I'm not totally creeped out by that - I mean, I'm a bit creeped out, but not as much as I thought I'd be!

I know that it is hard for many of you to understand why we chose to have Lotus Births. It is because you are not used to seeing this practice and you are probably scared of the sight of blood, guts, organs, all the things that are inside us and keep us alive. This organ just happens to be on the outside with a Lotus Birth and you get to witness your child let go of their lifeline in their own time.

You don't want to even look at the organ that kept your baby alive in your womb? Why have you become a mother? Do you care about the process or just the end result? The end result, if rushed, will be a lot harsher on every level that these wonderful images of these babies with their placenta's intact.

I think if you could just open up a little further past your initial fear of the unknown then you will allow your self and your children to grow into much stronger and healthier, happier human beings.

Don't close your mind or your eyes for that matter, Lotus Birth is beautiful!!!

<3

Sorry, but why oh why would you want to lug around a non-functioning, decomposing, useless organ???

By 35 weeks the placenta is matured and starting to cease to be functional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone has an opinion skimpy, no need to insult her for hers.

I can honestly say I will do the best I can for my little man but the 'lotus birth' is sooo not for me. Anyway, isn't the reason they induce you no more than 14 days plus is because the placenta starts to shut down? :think:

I'm sure either way is ok for newborn babies & it's each to their own, although my hubby would think I was a bit :looped: if I went for it.

i really cant see why it would make my baby happier and i think i would freak out a little if someone i knew did this but i guess there is weirder things in the world.
Or im not sure.. its pretty weird..

"
Once the umbilical cord has stopped pulsating after birth, transfer of physical substances is complete. However, proponents of lotus births view the baby and the placenta as existing within the same auric field, with energy transfers continuing to take place gradually from the placenta to the baby via the umbilical cord as the placenta dries out. The baby is seen as being given the time and space to let go, gently and at its own pace, of its connection to the placenta with which it shared the womb and which nourished it for its entire life so far. The process is individual to each baby based on its physical condition at birth."

So yeahh... lol

I feel very offended by the comment made by lotus birth that states if we don't take an interest in the placenta why do we want to be a mother?!?! That is a ridiculous comment to make if it's your thing then fine but don't insult other people just because we choose to be more interested in our child
Than a dead organ!

Also I had my cord cut and I am happy healthy person so it had no negative affect on me thanks!!

I feel very offended by the comment made by lotus birth that states if we don't take an interest in the placenta why do we want to be a mother?!?! That is a ridiculous comment to make if it's your thing then fine but don't insult other people just because we choose to be more interested in our child
Than a dead organ!

Also I had my cord cut and I am happy healthy person so it had no negative affect on me thanks!!

well said!
i'd much rather be looking at my beautiful new baby than the minging smelly placenta

Last edited:
:rofl:
I understand why some people keep the placenta to bury and plant a tree with coz it did sustain our child for all that time. It's actually a fabulous organ when you look into it. The idea of a child 'letting go' in it's own time is sweet but at the end of the day once it's stopped plulsating it's dead so cut the bloody thing off!! Even eating it is understandable (tho not my thing) as it is what mamals do. Like I said before, each to their own but personally I don't understand the attraction xx

Let's keep this to a friendly debate and leave out the personal comments please ladies :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back