Lotus Birth

missjennipenni

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of this before, even done it? Or do you knwo anyone who has? I find it a bit weird tbh lol

Lotus birth is the practice of leaving the umbilical cord uncut, so that the baby remains attached to his/her placenta until the cord naturally separates at the umbilicus - exactly as a cut cord does - at 3 to 10 days after birth. This prolonged contact can be seen as a time of transition, allowing the baby to slowly and gently let go of his/her attachment to the mother's body.

http://www.labouroflove.org/birth/lotus-birth/

do you think its something you would consider doing?

Eeeek no way. I would freak out if my baby had a dangling placenta off it for a few days after birth.
:puke:

You?

Becs said:
Eeeek no way. I would freak out if my baby had a dagling placenta off it for a few days after birth.
:puke:

You?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

bet it would start to decay and smell....and go black. Just what you want on fluffy white sheets and gorgeous baby stuff :?

Nope! Apparantly, you can get bags with fragrances in them, to keep the placenta from stinking :?

I cant help but think it would get in the way?

and who would want to hold a baby with that attached?

Though it might keep over-bearing MILs away :lol:

I have read that you're suppossed to delay cutting the cord a little bit as it allows nutrients to pass over still for a little bit, but i dont think that means days!!! :shock:
It certainly wont be something i'll consider, but it's not like it'll harm the baby so if you fancy trying it it's up to you
Clare x

abcd1234 said:
I have read that you're suppossed to delay cutting the cord a little bit as it allows nutrients to pass over still for a little bit, but i dont think that means days!!! :shock:
It certainly wont be something i'll consider, but it's not like it'll harm the baby so if you fancy trying it it's up to you
Clare x

I agree it maybe wouldnt harm the baby, but i think it would harm my eyes and nostrils :shock: lol

*Studies picture*

Lovely, yes please. Where do I sign up?

:oops: yeah, definately not going to be considered!!!
though i may mention it to OH jsut to see his reaction lol

I've seen someone do it on the telly.

To me it just doesn't seem right somehow to leave what is essentially a piece of rotting/decaying tissue in close contact with a newborn baby.

Obviously they all have a teeny bit of cord attached to the belly button at first, but that's essentially just a scab. A placenta is pretty big and must have a fair few bacteria eating away at it for days after.

Even animals in the wild chew through the umbilical cord. Some people are just wrong. Natures way, my arse!

Jeez - no way!

Can't see what good that would do, its not as if the placenta is providing anymore nutrition...

Not sure which is worse, dragging a rotting placenta around or having to eat if for your tea!

That looks horrible :puke:
ni im defenetly havin the cord cut when baby is born.
urrrrrrrr

:? I'm not overly worries about handling my new baby but I'm not confident enough that I'd like to have a large weird thing attached to baby and make sure I don't drop either. Or get tangled in the cord. It's just not for me. :talkhand:

no no no! :shock: What I don't get is how it's natural? Like someone else said, animals chew through the cord straight away, they won't lug a placenta around so why should we!
The placenta is not pretty, I'd much rather eat it than carry it around for 10 days, and I'm not doing that either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back