Liver function test results..

Jayceesmumma

Reaction score
Just got out mw and one factor was high and one was low.. The low one was like 30 where base is 35-60 or something and the high one (alk something..) was over 180 can't remember the base... I know the high one was very high over it.. She hasn't written it in my notes so I don't remember.. But she said very honestly she doesn't know what it all means but they'll explain it tomorrow at my anc appointment.. Asked what does a bad result mean, she said due to risk of stillborn ( :shock: ) I'd be induced early..
She checked baby's hb and was really pushing me for movements.. Told her baby was over active yesterday but not felt much today but it's still early, she poked baby til she felt a movement and told me to keep an eye on it.. Bit worrying tbh!!
Just wish she wrote results in my notes!

Last edited:
Hope they give you more info tomorrow hunny, sorry to say but your doctors/hospital are rubbish, they leave you hanging all the time :hug:
If you are really worried ask for an appointment today to put your mind at rest after all thats what they should be doing in the first place! x x

Hope LO keeps you reassured with movement today. Its hard not to worry, i went for the same test as i was super itchy and read about still birth, i only got told my results were normal and not to worry.

Its hard not to worry though. With less than 4weeks til your due date im sure LO will be ok to come early if neccessary. but hopefully the results are ok and LO can stay snuggled up inside a bit longer

xxx

Gosh! At least your starting to get answers of some sort tho! Good Luck tomorrow and let us know!

fingers crossed all ok x x your being well monitored hun xx

Thanks all.. Ur right m2a they aren't very good :( I've had a couple of good mws though just the system is shit!

Trying to look up results on the net but I can't find anything :(

Id call and ask for an appointment hunny, please dont start looking things up on the net, it can lead to unnecessary worry x x

Oh Hun sorry u didn't get more answers !! It's good u have the hospital tomorrow !! At least if they do induce u early U can plan a bit better !!! Hope the news is good tomorrow though sure if it had been anything really worrying the would have called u in . Xxx

The mw said she was gonna call someone and check the results, she said if they think it's serious and needs attention today she will call me.. If not to just attend my appointment tomorrow with the consultant.. I don't think I can get an appointment today as they say the consultants only do Thursday afternoons (when I tried booking an app last thurs after they ran so late I had to leave and reschedule for this thurs) The mw at the gp is usually fully booked for a week but that's who I saw today so it would be pointless.. I never usually look on the net.. Just want to know if it's seriously high or just high.. Sigh... Stress!!!!

Alkaline phosphatase was high (googled the abbv) and GGT (gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase) I think.. Was the one that was low.. Slightly lower than the lowest.. But the alk was alot higher than the highest.. Just want to know if it's just a bit high or proper high u know??

[SIZE=+1]Cholestatis of pregnancy [/SIZE]Cholestatis of pregnancy is a condition of unknown cause. It usually arises late in the third trimester of pregnancy. The primary symptom associated with it is extreme itchiness. There may also be mild jaundice (yellowing of the skin due to excess bilirubin). The laboratory evaluation in such patients reveals a tremendous increase in alkaline phosphatase to 7-10 times above normal. If the serum bile acids were assayed, it would be found that they are between 10 and 100 times normal. It is this extreme elevation of bile acids which is felt to cause the generalised pruritis. Liver biopsies which have been performed in such patients show simple biliary status without disruption of the hepatocellular architecture.
These changes are completely reversible and return to normal after the pregnancy ends. Cholestatis of pregnancy has no adverse effect on pregnancy and the cure of the problem is the delivery of the foetus Attempts at using ion exchange resins such as cholestyramine to try to lower the serum bile acids have been uniformly unsuccessful due to the tremendous elevation in these bile acids.

Looks promising right??

thats the info I found the other day, its reassuring that OC poses no threat to baby (as Ive read on research). Ithink its poor that the MWs are not making appropriate notes though, I have every BP on mine...my friend was looking through my notes today and commenting on all my BP...its nice to have the reference for peace of mind if not for anything else hey xxx

They say that, but that was the first thing mw said to me when i asked what if its bad.. 'stillborn risk'
so she told me to keep a very close eye on movements etc :(

If your levels increase due to pregnancy anyway, that means everything is fine then doesnt it :) i guess a proper high result would be like 500 rather than just 180..

Hope your ok, try not to stress, easier said that done I know but baby be fine if it comes now xx

does sound more promising that it doesnt effect lo just u !! bless ya hun try not to stress now till tomorrow when u see consultant !!! would u agree to an induction if it was offered ? xxx

Your results don't seem that high above normal and the medical information sounds promising so try not to worry. Sometimes MW's don't know enough exact medical knowledge and she may have been going on what she may have heard but it isnt fact, she shouldn't have said that at to you! Good luck Tom

Sorry to hear you have all this stress - again! I did some research when I thought I might have o.ch., and what I found was that apparently there be a slightly higher risk of stillbirth right at the end of pregnancy, and that's why in some hospitals they induce at 37 weeks, and in some they don't but monitor the baby's heartbeat very closely at hospital every day (whether as an inpatient or outpatient I don't know). From what I can remember, the risk of stillbirth was only increased from 37 weeks onwards, though, so you're still under that, and also there was some disagreement between the different researchers on whether the risk was actually increased at all or not. Not very helpful, I know, but it sounded less scary to me than her just coming out with "risk of stillbirth" without qualifying it in any way. Also surprises me that you had no bile acids done? I thought they needed those in conjunction with the liver function test to be sure that it actually is o.ch.? (But of course, I may be wrong, or it may be done differently in different hospitals). If I were you I would make sure to get seen today if you are even slightly worried about the baby's movements, otherwise you'll just freak yourself out. Otherwise, I hope you get some proper answers at your appointment tomorrow - keep us informed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back