Little babies

BabyBrain

Reaction score
Even though he was fully cooked Bertie is very small even though he weighed 6lb, something that pulls on my heart strings all the time. Had to go to Mothercare yesterday to actually get him some clothes that would fit, one baby grow I took to hospital the crutch part cradles his feet lol. I felt really sad buying clothes for tiny baby or prem baby, everyone keeps asking me if he was early and it's getting to me a little bit if I am honest. To give an idea he is exactly half the length of his moses basket. I guess it will be a while before we need a cot.

My sister in law found these which will hopefully mean I can use some of the newborn baby grows without having to find his feet half way up the legs.......

http://www.sockons.co.uk/

I've never heard of them before but they seem a great idea. I've ordered some from amazon. The last few days have cost us over £200 as we've figured out that 99% of the clothes we bought are far too big, as were the nappies and how much else we hadn't even thought of.

Sorry for the random post girls, just shocked that my baby was so small. He didn't feel that small bouncing on my bladder lol xxxxxxxxx

I felt exactly the same when Emily was born. I was expecting a much chunkier little girl given that she was born 13 days late! When she was only 6lb 4oz I was shocked - I ad bought hardly any newborn clothes - only 0-3, and they absolutely swamped her... But they do grow so quick! Emilys 4 week weigh in showed she was 8lb 10! She is now into her 0-3 bits and has even outgrown some of the smaller bits we had to buy her.
Im sure Bertie will soon be putting on weight and will be into his 0-3 things within a few weeks! :)

Oh bless her! That's a fab weight gain! I think what makes it worse is that he is the spitting image of his dad who at 6 feet 4 makes him look even smaller. They are completely in love with each other lol and daddy can get him to sleep in the blink of an eye. I'll feel better when I can give him breast milk properly cos then I know he's getting the best of everything.

He gets weighed today so we will see how much birth weight he has lost. Was very tempted yesterday to put him on the OH's fishing scales lol, we will be working hard to build him up but perhaps he will just be dainty

Harlow was 6lbs7 and is now at 8 weeks 10lbs! She's just fitting in her 0-3 clothes nicely! We had to go do a shop of the small baby sizes in mothercare! I think these days you don't hear of full term babies being 6lbs odd! Everybody seems to have bigger babies these days!

X

I think everyone expects babies to be 8lb plus these days. The clothing difference is astonishing though. Tescos up to 7.5lb fit him perfectly but Mothercare ones the same size make him look like a little hobo lol. His auntie is driving down from suffolk today so I wanted to get a nice outfit for him to meet her in but had to hold everything up to him lol

ALyssia was born at 37 weeks and was 6.5 I hardly had any newborn stuff as was expecting a little bigger so had top go and buy some, but they do grow so quickly shes is just over 10lbs now and starting to fit into 0-3 still a bit long and stuff but shes getting there! It was the inbetween newborn and 0-3 stage that was hard cos only had a few things washing machine was on permantly! LOL XX

I out socks on Henry under his sleepsuit. They keep his feet warm and the sleepsuit kinda sticks to them so his feet stay in the feet sections. Maybe give that a go?

Henry now weighs 10lb 10oz and is just fitting into the larger newborn. 0-3 r still too big on him so each baby is different xxx

Lewis my eldest was born 37+1 and weighed 5lb!! My mum had to go and buy me some tiny baby clothes because nothing fit him!
Babybrain....... Wouldn't just a normal pair of socks do?? Over the top of the baby grow would keep em up lol save all the expense!!

Sophie was a 9lb baby and coming upto 3 months now and still wearing new born or first size clothes!! The 0-3 are huge on her still :(

Hey hun I have some newborn bits that might be handy in a few weeks of it will help money wise ?

Hey hun I have some newborn bits that might be handy in a few weeks of it will help money wise ?

Aaawww thank you hun :hug:

I'll try the socks over the baby grow too, didn't think of that thank you :hug:

Hi Hun don't beat yourself up sam was 7lb 1 born and at 3 weeks he
was 9lb. But we had to buy all small baby when he was born as even newborn was too big!!
He's now in newborn but don't think it will be long before he's in 0-3 x

Oh bless her! That's a fab weight gain! I think what makes it worse is that he is the spitting image of his dad who at 6 feet 4 makes him look even smaller. They are completely in love with each other lol and daddy can get him to sleep in the blink of an eye. I'll feel better when I can give him breast milk properly cos then I know he's getting the best of everything.

He gets weighed today so we will see how much birth weight he has lost. Was very tempted yesterday to put him on the OH's fishing scales lol, we will be working hard to build him up but perhaps he will just be dainty

Emily is the spit of her Daddy too - but he's only tiny - shorter than me, so I guess that's why she was only a tiddler! I've no idea what she weighs now at 6 weeks - have another week to wait until she will be weighed again.
Birthweight is not always an indication of whether LO will be big or small. A friend had her baby 4 days after me... Hers was 7lb 10 andEmily was 6lb 4, andEmily is now the bigger baby! Lol

Jack was a healthy 7lb 11oz at birth but has a super fast metabolism and hardly put on any weight at all. He's 9.5mths old now and only weighs 18lb even though he has 3 big meals a day, plus milk & snacks. He's super slim but also very very strong, happy and healthy. He still easily fits in 6-9mths clothes and even has some 3-6mth clothes that still fit!!

I bet your little man will catch up very very quickly, it's amazing how quick babies grow! x

G was exactly 7lbs, and was in tiny baby for a couple of weeks. It really annoys me as well that her "clothes" don't fit, especially when FIL comments about her still being in her 'jammies' all day.

He'll grow before you know it. G put on almost a full lb in a week at the beginning.

Xxx

i keep getting told 'isnt she big', 'shes not a newborn' etc. i kinda feel jealous that ive missed out on having a tiny helpless baby. Alyssa has never been little or floppy. shes in 0-3 and can wear her 3-6month tights and dresses and they fit well. she can hold her head up really well and is alert and takin all in when shes awake.
i bagged up all the newborn and tiny baby stuff i have as obviously im not gonna get to use it lol, im just glad i was given it not bought any. i only bought 1 newborn size outfit n 1 pack of first size babygrows as i wasnt expecting a small baby but i wasnt expecting chubbawubba either lol. she was 11lb 1oz at her 3 week weigh in.
i feel for you hun as i can understand in a way not getting what you expect lol

Hi, Isaac was 5lb 2 & born at 37+3 weeks. We had to rush out & buy tiny baby clothes & even those seemed big! BUT, he outgrew most of the tiny stuff in 2 weeks! He's now 9 weeks & 11.2 so he's caught up completely, he likes his milk! He's outgrown newborn too now & is in 0-3. I thought it would take ages for him to get there as he was so small. My advice would be to get some tiny clothes, but not too many as small babies grow fast once they're out & you'll be amazed how quickly he grows out of clothes!

My first was only 6lbs and he piled on the pounds very quickly, going up to the 91st centile for most of his first year. hes now a very short, skinny 4 year old! I'm having much more trouble getting this baby to gain weight and he was 9lb when he 2as born. He weighs less than Ben did at 6 weeks!

oh hun I know that feeling. I am sick of feeling like I did something wrong when he was inside me. AJ has just started to fit the stuff that was premmie baby and tiny baby. Luckily some of my family had given us mothercare vouchers that we had to use on buying tiny clothes. The nappies we have stuck with cos it wasn't worth worrying. They are starting to look more normal on him now but the size 1s still go up to his armpits!!!!

Though just bare in mind my Dylan was 5lb 5ozs at birth 14 years later he is 5ft 9 and has size 11 feet!!! My brother was 5lb at birth and was a premmie baby born at 30wks and is 6ft 4 and has size 13 feet!!!! They do catch up. lol

Thanks ladies, I'm sure when Bertie is a great big 18 year old lummox I'll wonder why I was so worried about it lol but we just can't help it can we?

Bev my sister felt exactly the same as you, her oldest was 10lb 7oz and she got really upset about it sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back