Lifting older babies while pregnant

Browneyed Girl

Reaction score
My lo is 13 months old and I'm around 5 weeks pregnant. It's just occurred to me that you shouldn't lift anything heavy while pregnant. Am I risking this pregnancy by lifting my lo? He also has an Icandy pram which I lug in and out of the boot all the time! I've had one mc and one chemical before my lo.

Mums who are pregnant again what advice were you given and how did you manage?

I lift our 20 month old and our (large for age) 3 year old. I recon you have to be sensible. If it feels like too much it probably is. If it is something you are used to and it feels fine it probably is. If you have any unusual cramping or bleeding etc it may well be wise to stop for a bit. I had a bleed during DDs pregnancy and was on total rest for 6 weeks so no lifting, bending or sex, otherwise except for the odd thing I have carried on doing things normally and judged by how I feel. I have had a 10 week MC and a chemical also but there isn't really any way they could have been related to lifting.

I lifted my older one throughout my pregnancy ; although towards the end it was only really for cuddles and she would leap into my arms when collected from nursery. I struggled to carry her upstairs by the 3rd tri (she could climb them on her own but I used to carry her up for her nap) but would still occasionally carry her down, but to protect my back I lifted her from a few steps down so no upward lift (if that makes sense). I just let my body tell me when I was doing too much and explained to my toddler that I was carrying baby so couldn't carry her as well (good preparation for when baby was born!)

Thanks, I think I'll carry on as I am then, hopefully as my body is used to lifting him it shouldn't be a problem until later on when bump might get in the way. I'm at the doctors on Monday so I'll see if they have any advice x

Like Maud says tward the end of pregnancy with my second I didn't lift DD nearly as much because I started to feel it being a strain if I held her for long but I still did for short amounts. I think you will soon know when its feeling too much.

James was 18m when I was pregnant second time.

I carried him as normal and also lugged pram (Bugaboo) up and down 2 flights of stairs daily....

X

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

James was 18m when I was pregnant second time.

I carried him as normal and also lugged pram (Bugaboo) up and down 2 flights of stairs daily....

X

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks Carnat, I'm sure if you can do that I'll be fine lifting the pram out of the car!

Same here, my youngest was 15 months when I fell pregnant and barely walking so relied on being carried everywhere. I just kinda thought of it as something that has to be done. Like the others say, I would only worry if you had pain or bleeding. Easier said than done after losses tho! x

Same as above really, I always lifted DS1 with DS2 and will do the same with this next baby. You'll work out your limits which will change as you get bigger and as your DS gets bigger.

Congratulations on your BFP too! :)

I had really bad bleeding for 20 weeks in my second pregnancy so was advised not to lift anything heavier than my toddler. So I imagine with a healthy pregnancy lifting something youre used to lifting like your toddler is totally fine.

I've just stumbled across this and I obviously don't know about the lifting thing yet I just am over the moon excited for you!!!! Xxxxx

I've just stumbled across this and I obviously don't know about the lifting thing yet I just am over the moon excited for you!!!! Xxxxx

Thank you hun!! I'll admit it was a shock at first (one hit wonder after nearly 3 years full on ttc with James and no success - I didn't think we had a chance!) but I want this so much. I can't believe you're nearly 20 weeks, it's flown, babies will be here before you know it. You'll be able to give me double pram recommendations and tips for looking after 2 :love: xxx

How amazing that it's happened ! I can imagine a shock but a great surprise too?
I know it's crazy ! I'm making a "what I need to get" list today Ek ! Oh yes defo can't wait :). X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back